What's your biggest waste of money related to fitness?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy this, but my dad came home with a Health Rider. The model he found had no way to add any resistance and was very boring to use.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Woodspoon wrote: »
    Fitbit. It's uncomfortable and inaccurate compared to my beloved BodyMedia FIT (RIP).

Yes, this!!! Fitbit is terrible.

This for me too
    Uncomfortable, inaccurate, essentially just an overpriced pedometer - absolute rubbish

I just asked for one for Christmas now I'm seeing all these horrible reviews. Do you recommend anything different that track steps, calories burned and HR?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Fitbit. It's uncomfortable and inaccurate compared to my beloved BodyMedia FIT (RIP).

This for me too
    Uncomfortable, inaccurate, essentially just an overpriced pedometer - absolute rubbish

I just asked for one for Christmas now I'm seeing all these horrible reviews. Do you recommend anything different that track steps, calories burned and HR?

Nothing has been accurate enough for me since the BodyMedia... too bad Jawbone bought the company and crapped all over it with the UP3.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

This for me too

Nothing has been accurate enough for me since the BodyMedia... too bad Jawbone bought the company and crapped all over it with the UP3.

I had the original armband Body Media. Besides the visibility factor it was definitely accurate. The math came out correct every week as far as losses,
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Backpacks as I look for the perfect one.
    Sneakers because I am a shoe freak.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Buying a few dumbbells and workout clothes at retail prices before I realized I could find all I needed at Goodwill!
    Thanks! :D

I've been getting discouraged by all the high prices for dumbbells everywhere - Goodwill here I come lol.

I pick up one or two now and then when they go on sale at a local department store. January is a good month for that because all the "New Years Resolution" sales are on.

• bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ladyteapot wrote: »
    This is disappointing..I wanted a Fitbit :/ reviews seem to be bad
    @Spencerport I'm with you on the graze thing ..awful!

I love my fitbit it has help me keep motivated and I not that slug on the couch anymore.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Gym membership. Several, actually. I never went consistently to make it worth the money. I have gotten my money's worth from my used powercage & weight set up.

It's funny how different people are!

We have weights at home, and I use them, and I run alone. But the most consistent thing over my lifetime is organized group classes. Dance, aerobics, jazzercise, yoga. I'm introverted in most ways but group fitness works best for me. it's just much more enjoyable for me, and the consistent schedule, knowing you have to be there when it happens i think keeps me more accountable. And even though in many of them I'm experienced enough to teach in a pinch, following lets me let my mind go and just experience the movements instead of focusing on what to do next, which feels much more satisfying.

So the best $ I have spent is on classes.

Worst, I don't know, usually if I don't use it someone else in the household does.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Buying the wrong shoes
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Fit bit-great customer service. I have exercise ball that my music director has us rehearse while sitting on for our abs and breath and a stretch exercise band. All cheap. Waste of money? Leg warmers, soy powder, spanks, fat reduction pills, rowing machine and treadmill that I burned out, tap shoes and hula c d.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    peter2100 wrote: »
    Technically fitness is free. You can do bodyweight exercises and go for a run. A person could get a hell of a lot fitter than most people by simply doing that.

I go to the gym for the convenience. And I consider it worth it, because I got 3 times a week, and I can go at any time, morning or night, it's always open. If I want to go to the gym at 5am, I can.

Anything other than a gym membership is not required in my opinion. Even protein shakes are not necessary. Have you heard of chicken breasts? 80g in one breast. People were getting fit hundreds of years ago with nothing. It's funny to me when people spend money and do everything other than the two things that actually matter: diet and exercise.

Random fun fact: per gram of protein, protein powder is always cheaper than even chicken breast (unless you buy overpriced "sucker powder"). Who's the sucker now?...well me, because I eat the hell out of both.

We had a nutritionist come in and give a talk for the company. She was very much against supplements. Told us peanut butter had more protein per dollar than powder. I don't know if that's true or not (we go for quality peanut butter) but I know the stuff has a lot more calories per gram of protein than the powder. Not like I can hit my goal every day by eating a jar of PB with a spoon.

Loads of people claim pb is an amazing protein source... I have no idea why!

I always thought the thing about PB was that you could get a tonne of calories with very little effort. It's always my go to "snack" if I'm coming to the end of the day and need to get a couple of hundred extra calories in.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    An exercise bike. I've run for 9 years now, but a couple of years ago I fractured my pelvis and I didn't think I'd be able to run again. I bought the exercise bike so I could do that instead, and it did help at the time, but it's so mind numbingly boring. However, after a year recovering, I found I could in fact run again, so the bike hasn't been touched since, it's now gathering dust in the garage!
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Technically fitness is free. You can do bodyweight exercises and go for a run. A person could get a hell of a lot fitter than most people by simply doing that.

I go to the gym for the convenience. And I consider it worth it, because I got 3 times a week, and I can go at any time, morning or night, it's always open. If I want to go to the gym at 5am, I can.

Anything other than a gym membership is not required in my opinion. Even protein shakes are not necessary. Have you heard of chicken breasts? 80g in one breast. People were getting fit hundreds of years ago with nothing. It's funny to me when people spend money and do everything other than the two things that actually matter: diet and exercise.

Well aren't you lucky to be so wise? Mr Gloaty-McGloaty-Pants! Glad you find other people who aren't so wise to be so funny... Such a shame we aren't all so marvellous, I'm sure the world would be such a better place if we were all as clever as you!

How much for that high horse?

Yeah, yeah. We can't all be this clever. It just comes naturally to me.

$350 ono

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

with a gym membership comes gym gear...fyi..more expense and running requires good runners...another expense.

I don't have a gym membership.
    I don't regret any purchase I have made in the last 3-4 years in regards to my fitness that includes weights, treadmill, fitness tracker, gear, runners etc.

I am very careful with my fitness purchases and don't spend the funds unless I am sure...for example took me 3 months of research on my fitness tracker,....6 months on the treadmill purchase...

I have been on the treadmill everyday since it was put together btw...1 month.

While I haven't purchased as much as you have, I don't regret any of my fitness purchases either. I've been very careful about all of them.

Well, there was that one tub of protein powder that said it was gluten free that really wasn't.

I am one who loves my Fitbit.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    A pair of Nike training sneakers. After only a few weeks of use, the bottom of one of my shoes started coming off after rope climbing. After then, I switched to much cheaper CrossFit shoes and they hold up MUCH better!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

This for me too

Keep in mind, you're just reading what people hate. There are plenty of us out here that love our fitbits, even though they are not the most accurate in small details (my HR Charge likes to blank out the heart rate when I reach the top of a hill after an exhausting long climb--ha ha! It's a jerk!) and they are fugly as hell...but I am wearing and relying on mine every day ugly as it is. It's been a crucial tool for me over the past year as I've decreased my weight and increased my fitness...to the extent that I am still wearing it even though we had to Gorilla Glue the strap back together. I would freak if I forgot to put it on in the morning; but I would never forget, because I rely on it too much.

If you nixed every thing people disparaged and regretted on this thread, you wouldn't have much of anything left for fitness, including shoes and pants. :o:o:o

That being said, I agree that the Wii Fit is not great. I just do not get it at all. Why would you wave a plastic stick around playing Wii tennis or bowling when you can do the real thing? I also regret the workout clothes I got at Target when I first started, which are cheap, but pretty crappy and feel gross compared to Under Armour, Calia, etc.--the clothes I started getting when I knew I was in it for the long haul.
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I'm not sure why there is so much hate for the fitbit, but I love mine. I haven't had it long, but it has without a doubt motivated me to walk more throughout my day. I love the challenges with friends (I am just a little competitive
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I wasted $$$ on so many running shoes!!! (had the "gait analysis" and everything) I got sick-and-tired of injury after injury in shoes and finally just started running barefoot, I figured if my ancestors could do it, so could I. After nearly 4 years of running injury-free I'll never buy another pair!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    i don't think they lie, precisely. but i take it as given that they probably give only a very ballpark kind of idea.

Step trackers only claim to give you a ballpark idea.

Here's a typical disclaimer that comes with many of them:

Garmin activity trackers are intended to be tools to provide you with information to encourage an active and healthy lifestyle. Garmin activity trackers rely on sensors that track your movement and other metrics. The data and information provided by these devices is intended to be a close estimation of your activity and metrics tracked, but may not be completely accurate, including step, sleep, distance, heart rate and calorie data. Garmin activity trackers are not medical devices, and the data provided by them is not intended to be utilized for medical purposes and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Garmin recommends you consult your doctor before engaging in any exercise routine.

So they're not lying, precisely or otherwise.

I think this also speaks to Garmin as a company and their overall corporate ethics.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    micayla75 wrote: »

I'm not sure why there is so much hate for the fitbit, but I love mine. I haven't had it long, but it has without a doubt motivated me to walk more throughout my day. I love the challenges with friends (I am just a little competitive

I have to second and third this one! Don't go by other people's opinions, I love mine and have had huge success because of it. Every person's journey is gonna be different.