Scared

Options
I have lost 95 pounds, and reached goal weight. It is now time to go to maintenance caloric intake and it scares me terribly. I can't wrap my head around taking in approximately 500 more calories and not gaining weight. I have actually put off maintenance as I fear this so much. Anyone feel this way?

Replies

• holli1505
    holli1505 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is a very good idea. Thanks so much.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 95 pounds and reaching your goal--that is truly awesome! The thing to remember here is what you accomplished: you already did something huge. Something that a ton of people I know don't even consider because it intimidates them too much. And what did you do? You whupped those ninety five pounds and are looking awesome because of it!

That weight loss time wasn't just about the pounds lost, however, it was also about re-training yourself: learning how to live healthy, have self control, and do what it takes in order to keep those pounds a thing of the past. You did your training. Now it's time to put that training into practice for the long haul.

In case it helps, here is an article from LiveScience on how to maintain weight. The article delves deep into information gained from the studies of the National Weight Control Registry, and it provides some really practical, research-based tips on how to maintain weight. For me, information is power, and if I have a plan for the future then it helps me to stick with my goals. This article can hopefully provide you with a good plan. It provides tips about diet, exercise, continuing to weigh yourself, and getting enough sleep (hint: a lot of it is not too far off from what you've been doing so far!).

Good luck! You can do this!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place and decided to add calories slowly.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    great job! I agree with others on here to up calories slowly. Be wary though when you find you are eating all the foods and then you get all "oh my god! yeay! I ate ALL THE FOODS and am still the same weight!" and start to eat ALLLLLLLLL the foods and then slowly start to put on.

I did that but before it got too dire I've reigned in again to lose the kilos and now know - the occasional eat aaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllll the foods is ok - but an every day eat all the craps for two weeks + = not ok!

Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have been and it certainly takes some time to get used to. But you will learn to trust yourself, the process, the numbers. Remember that your weight will fluctuate, so set a maintenance range. Follow the trend, and be aware that any changes will be slow as molasses, but gain momentum if you don't pay attention. Well done losing that weight by the way!
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Great job losing 95 lbs. I am truly impressed. Not sure as I'm not there yet but when I get there my plan is to continue logging my food and weighing each morning, same as I do now. Hopefully it becomes habit. That way I can watch and be sure I don't start to gain, if I do I'll cut back a few days then continue. And I will continue to exercise.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Increase calories slowly- like just 50 or 100 calories per week. This is actually called "reverse dieting" and is a technique for preventing rebound weight gain. Feel free to look it up to see how to do it properly.

This allows your metabolism to adjust at roughly the same rate as you increase calories. The metabolism takes time to adjust so if you suddenly increase your calories up by 500 it will take a little while before your metabolism catches up and weight gain is going to happen. If you increase slowly there will probably only be a little weight gain, like maybe 5 pounds.

Some weight gain is inevitable when you increase calories, but you do need to do it eventually for health. But a reverse diet will be your best method, especially if increasing calories freaks you out.