Calorie loss and limit

Options
kingduck127
kingduck127 Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok everyone quick question? If my calorie limit is 2,270 and I eat to 400 over but then I workout enough that I am 440 under am I loosing weight? This may sound stupid but I'm not positive.

Replies

• kingduck127
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If this sounds stupid I'm sorry lol
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound stupid at all! It's a common question. If 2270 is your calorie goal to lose weight, and you exercise, assuming you've selected an appropriate activity level when setting up your account, you can eat your exercise calories and still lose. The only real question is how you calculated your exercise calories. It's all based on estimates, some more accurate than others, and none available to consumers will be 100% accurate. You can try eating all of your exercise calories and see what it does to your progress. If you're not losing as expected over the course of a month or so, you can try cutting back to only eating half your exercise calories and see how that works.
  • gophermatt
    gophermatt Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you got to 2270. If that's "maintain" setting given your activity levels, then being 440 in deficit will be a loss (eventually and discounting normal daily fluctuations). That pace repeated will yield a bit less than 1 pound / week.

Check your assumptions and measure over time. If your exercise calorie measurements come from gym equipment, many people have found those to over-report the number of calories burned.

There are all kinds of opinions on the boards about whether or not to eat back exercise calories, and if so - how many. Give yourself a 4-6 week run in a plan and see what the data tells you when you're done. If your weight graph line of best fit says you're down around 3.5-4 pounds then, it probably means your math is right.
  • kingduck127
    Options
    Thank you both! Major help!