Which diet?

Options
Hi all,
I'm wondering if you guys are following an actual 'diet plan' as well as logging your cals on mfp..like slimming world/ Atkins and so on. I've tried everything out there, and they do work if you stick with them I suppose, but I always end up binging on the foods I'm not "allowed" when I don't see the weight coming off quick enough..telling myself it's not working so what's going the point! Just wondering what way you choose the foods you eat ..cheers

Replies

• kelleycmcc
    kelleycmcc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering if you guys are following an actual 'diet plan' as well as logging your cals on mfp..like slimming world/ Atkins and so on. I've tried everything out there, and they do work if you stick with them I suppose, but I always end up binging on the foods I'm not "allowed" when I don't see the weight coming off quick enough..telling myself it's not working so what's going the point! Just wondering what way you choose the foods you eat ..cheers
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm not, just logging on MFP.
    I walk daily, bike a time or two a week and just today started strength training (I say "started" .. I made it 10 minutes)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It's been said the best diet is the one you can stick to. If you can't eat Atkins for life then maybe its not the "diet" for you.

I eat what I want within my calorie goals. This will teach me when I've reached my goal weight how to maintain my weight loss.

Sometimes restricting foods cause people to binge on those foods or feel guilty for eating them.
  • LadyLauraAnne
    LadyLauraAnne Posts: 8 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I do. It's one my weight loss doctor has me on. Involves protein shakes and bars. Both have to have more than 15 grams of protein, and no more that 5 grams of fat and sugar. At least 2 of those per day. i'm supposed to eat every 3-4 hours and not drink with meals or 30 min before or after. It's mostly protein
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any particular diet...I watched my calories and I made it a point to eat healthier in general...i.e. more veggies and fruit (things that were severely lacking in my previous diet) and more whole foods in general...but yeah, I still ate pizza and whatnot from time to time...just not all the time.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't use a specific plan and no food is off limits.

I eat as close to my old way of eating as possible. I eat smaller portions and make some satisfying substitutions. For example, I like baked fish just as well as fried so I have it more often baked now.

Staying in my food comfort zone makes it much easier for me to stick to a calorie deficit. This also allows me to practice for maintenance.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    No particular diet, just weigh all my foods on a digital food scale and log. As long as a food fits my calories, I eat it. I've always failed on elimination diets and do better when I don't eliminate anything.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    No not really.. What works for me is the fasting.. I fast for 16 hours and then have 2 big meals and 1 smaller one.. I only eat from around 12-20:00 I don't eat corn or milk products but lots of meat, nuts and veggies. It's by far the best thing I've ever did and it isn't really a diet.. It's just what I feel most comfortable doing and I don't like eating more often.

Maybe you just haven't found the perfect balance for yourself.. And don't do diets, diets don't work for the long term, you have to change your lifestyle
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No specific diet...I did "clean" up my diet with way more whole foods, but I still ate pizza and whatnot from time to time...just not all the time.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I ate mostly nutritious foods before when I was 210 pounds. I've actually added back some treat foods now that I've been losing weight.

I used to think I had to be very restrictive in what I ate. No more. I still tend to prefer what people think of as "healthy" food, and the bulk of my diet is still comprised of lean vegetarian sources of protein, low-fat dairy, eggs, beans, legumes, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Just much less of them than I used to consume.

No particular named diet here. Learning that it's not about what I eat but truly about how much has been liberating.
  • kelleycmcc
    Options
    Cool, I'll take all of that on board. Thanks
  • kelleycmcc
    Options
    I do. It's one my weight loss doctor has me on. Involves protein shakes and bars. Both have to have more than 15 grams of protein, and no more that 5 grams of fat and sugar. At least 2 of those per day. i'm supposed to eat every 3-4 hours and not drink with meals or 30 min before or after. It's mostly protein

Ooh that sounds tough! Good for you to stick to that. I've tried similar diets, ended up ravenous so ate a lunch along side the shake! So I doubled my calories essentially! Fair play to you for committing to it. Best of luck!
  • kelleycmcc
    Options
    No diet. Just weighing and my foods on a digital scale and logging. I've lost 94 pounds this way.

I learned through 40 years of dieting that restriction wasn't for me and I also learned that understanding how weight management actually worked was quite freeing.

Another thing I've learned -- and I noticed this in your post, OP -- it's not about how fast this all happens. The whole issue of losing weight and then eventually maintaining it is a continuum that will go on for the rest of your life. There's no point to going fast because there is no end. Weight management (or calorie management if you want to look at it that way) needs to be ongoing.

Realizing that this is a long game has been very, very important in accomplishing my goals.

Very wise. Cheers for the advice!
  • fishobot
    fishobot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with "best diet is the one you can stick to" philosophy. I have tried a number of diets that restrict different foods and they never work for me because after two or three weeks my cravings are through the roof. This time I'm going with tracking my calories, weighing my food, and watching my macronutrients... and it's working!

I'm about 20% of the way to my goal and the best part is that I can eat whatever I want. One night I had a steak, with veggies, potatoes, a roll, chocolate cake, and wine for dinner because I planned my calories ahead of time and kept an eye on my portions. That's my "diet"!
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm sticking to low carb diet. I'm trying my best to stay under 40g of carbs per day. Incorporating more protein in my diet. Mostly plant based protein. But kidney beans and chick peas are my nemesis so I'm depending on mostly tofu smoothies and Vega Protien smoothie. Chicken and eggs are also on the list but 2-3 times a week. Low fat Greek yogurt is my real good friend. Also I'm getting about 100 cals from an organic fiber (grounded chia and probiotics) with that I do a 5:2 fast. Also, I'm not eating anything from 6:30 pm to 9:30 am.
    No oil accept for one or two tablespoons of coconut oil, no refined sugar or baked goods. Drinking 3-4 cups of green or white tea.
    I have lost 8 pounds since the beginning of November. So it's working.
    And I consume 1100-1200 cals per day when I'm not fasting. On fasting days it's under 500 calories. Some days I go over my calorie limit but I count the calories by the week so I am always under my weekly allowance of calorie intake.

(I'm 5'2 and my current weight is 152.8 lbs)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Simmalina wrote: »
    I'm sticking to low carb diet. I'm trying my best to stay under 40g of carbs per day. Incorporating more protein in my diet. Mostly plant based protein. But kidney beans and chick peas are my nemesis so I'm depending on mostly tofu smoothies and Vega Protien smoothie. Chicken and eggs are also on the list but 2-3 times a week. Low fat Greek yogurt is my real good friend. Also I'm getting about 100 cals from an organic fiber (grounded chia and probiotics) with that I do a 5:2 fast. Also, I'm not eating anything from 6:30 pm to 9:30 am.
    No oil accept for one or table tablespoons of coconut oil, no refined sugar or bakes goods. Drinking 3-4 cups of green or white tea.
    I have lost 8 pounds since the beginning of November. So it's working.
    And I consume 1000-1200 cals per day when I'm not fasting. On fasting days it's under 500 calories. Some days I go over my calorie limit but I count the calories by the week so I am always under my weekly allowance of calorie intake.

Are you under doctor supervision for this? You are severely undereating. On 5:2 you are supposed to eat your maintenance calories not 1000-1200.

Just saw your edit. You are way too light to be losing 4 lbs a week and averaging 850-1000 overall a day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you basically answered your own questions in your post. You've tried a number of restrictive named "diets" which worked for a while until you got frustrated that you weren't losing fast enough and you felt deprived so you gave up.

This time you need to completely change your approach. My advice:
    1. Enter accurate stats, an achievable goal and a reasonable rate of loss in MFP. For less than 50 lbs that is 1 lb/week. For less than 25 lbs, that's 0.5 lb/week.
    2. MFP will calculate a calorie goal for you with a deficit built in based on that rate of loss you selected. It also doesn't include exercise in the initial calorie target. If you exercise, you're meant to eat those calories back.
    3. Eat a variety of foods you enjoy and log everything as accurately and honestly as possible, ideally with a food scale. Focus on a balance of foods that provide nutrition (both macro and micronutrient balance), satiety (fill you up on less calories) and enjoyment (working in treats as you can fit them in).
    4. Exercise if you enjoy it, logging and eating back at least a portion of those calories.
    5. Be Patient.

Also, read the stickies most helpful forum posts in the top of each section, they contain a wealth of information!

Good luck!
  • Smaya29
    Smaya29 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Are you under doctor supervision for this? You are severely undereating. On 5:2 you are supposed to eat your maintenance calories not 1000-1200.

Just saw your edit. You are way too light to be losing 4 lbs a week and averaging 850-1000 overall a day. [/quote]

Most of it was my water weight. And no I'm not starving myself at all, that's why I mentioned that I go over my daily limit some days, that could be anywhere from 1500-2500 cals. I just make sure I'm getting the proper nutrition and my calories are not too low at the end of the week. I'm not working out currently and my lifestyle is mostly sedentary. I just go for a walk 3-4 times a week for 45-60 minutes.
    I have been feeling quite sluggish before I started this, always felt like a zombie, tired and sleepy, now I feel more energetic.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Simmalina wrote: »

Just saw your edit. You are way too light to be losing 4 lbs a week and averaging 850-1000 overall a day.

Most of it was my water weight. And no I'm not starving myself at all, that's why I mentioned that I go over my daily limit some days, that could be anywhere from 1500-2500 cals. I just make sure I'm getting the proper nutrition and my calories are not too low at the end of the week. I'm not working out currently and my lifestyle is mostly sedentary. I just go for a walk 3-4 times a week for 45-60 minutes.
    I have been feeling quite sluggish before I started this, always felt like a zombie, tired and sleepy, now I feel more energetic.

[/quote]

Ok, 1500-2500 is way different from 1000-1200. Maybe aim for 1500 on your non fasting days?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!