too much protein?

Options
I seem to go over by 10-20 grams of protein everyday. I try to exercise 3-4 times a week (running and bootcamp style workouts). Should I be trying to lessen the amount of protein I consume? Is there such a thing as too much protein?

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Are you using the defaults set by MFP? The default is set very low. Eat protein - it's helpful!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    nah it's set to low in the first place. Ignore it.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein in my diet. I get at least 110 to 120 a day. As long as it is coming from lean protein then you are better off filling up on this than you are filling up on carbs. Those carbs will just make you feel hungry again very quickly where as the protein will "stick to your walls" for a while.
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think there is such a thing as too much protein over the long term but I don't think that going over by 10-20g will present too much of a problem to be honest.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    there is but it's very hard to get to "too much protein." if you're following what MFP put you at then you definitely haven't hit it yet because MFP is conservative with the amount that they set as a target protein intake. you should probably have more than that. its good for you. normal is anywhere between .8 - 1.2 grams of protein per kg of body weight. people who are strength training should be between 1.2 - 1.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you're working out you need the protein to build and repair muscle, protein is good! Yay! You can change your allowance in the goals bit anyway, lower the fat or carb allowances and make the protein higher
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you are doing weight or strength training then the MFP recommendation for protein is way too low. My trainer recommended my protein to be about 45%, carbs 40% and fat 15%. I really don't get that much protein but I do get more then MFP suggests which is definitely too low.
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    I think there is such a thing as too much protein over the long term but I don't think that going over by 10-20g will present too much of a problem to be honest.

Everything in moderation ... couldn't have said it better.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Too much at one meal you will pee it out. Too much over and over it's possible to be stored at fat. Way too much for long periods may or may not be a strain on the liver. What it too much is the question. Body Builders eat 400-500 grams a day. For us normal people, men trying to build or add muscle it's about 1-2 grams per lb of body weight. Woment I think it's 1/2 - 1 gram per lb. The MFP default is carb heavy where it should be protein heavy. A good ratio is 40/40/20 or 30/50/20. That's Carbs/Protein/Fat
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Too much at one meal you will pee it out. Too much over and over it's possible to be stored at fat. Way too much for long periods may or may not be a strain on the liver. What it too much is the question. Body Builders eat 400-500 grams a day. For us normal people, men trying to build or add muscle it's about 1-2 grams per lb of body weight. Woment I think it's 1/2 - 1 gram per lb. The MFP default is carb heavy where it should be protein heavy. A good ratio is 40/40/20 or 30/50/20. That's Carbs/Protein/Fat

That's a good guideline on it.

If you're in the middle of more serious strength trainign or bodybuilding (as a female) you may up your levels beyond 1g/lb, but at that, you're not using the MFP default of % macro breakdown, but going first by g/lb protein, then carb needs, then fat.

I would not (IMO) lower fat beyond 20% on here. Fat aids in mineral/vitamin absorbtion, healthy skin, healthy bowel movements, and provides protection from inflammation and tissue damage.
  • missussparky
    Options
    wow, fast responses. thanks folks.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    MFP follows the USDA recommended daily ratio of carbs / fat / protein. Which is completely bogus and has NO basis in scientific fact, and has been more influenced by politics than by nutrition. Commodities traders want you to think you have to eat a whole bunch of wheat & corn that is actually not very good for most people... see the documentaries "Fat Head" or "My Big Fat Diet" for more info on that. Study after study has shown that cutting down carbs is more important for weight loss than cutting down fat. And protein is very important, because the chemical reaction that burns fat in your body requires 3 parts fat to 1 part protein. If you don't have enough protein, you won't be able to burn your fat.

Anyway, everyone's body is different, but most people will want to adjust their carbs downward and their protein upward. Unless you have damaged your liver already through heavy drinking or something, there is no evidence that excessive protein hurts the liver. Or anything else. My doctor tested my metabolism, and has recommended to me that I eat at least 50g of protein every three hours for as long as I'm awake. Which, if I am awake from 6 a.m. to 10 or 11 p.m., works out to at least 300g / day. My ratios are set at 5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein. Which, as I said, is not just a fad: it's what my doctor has recommended.

So I certainly wouldn't worry about going over on protein.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I would not (IMO) lower fat beyond 20% on here. Fat aids in mineral/vitamin absorbtion, healthy skin, healthy bowel movements, and provides protection from inflammation and tissue damage.

Just to add to the fat comment. Choose healthy fat as well. Almonds, avacados, olive oil. Don't be affraid of good fats...they do good things for you.
    Excellent add Barney.
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I just clicked over here to ask the same question! :-) Thanks for all the great answers!
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I too, wondered about that...I go over on protein almost every day...I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but I often wondered...thanks for posting and thanks for the responses!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm astounded at the wealth of information that is available on this site! And you all give it so freely!
    I was curious about the protein question myself, and thought it seemed a bit low, and I'm glad to know I thought that through correctly. Oh, just so you know, only for some people, excessive protein can be harmful, but not to the average person, particularly in the short term. Proteinuria, protein in your urine, is an indicator of kidney disease, so certainly they should watch protein intake carefully. Most proteins are calorie dense, too, so from a caloric intake point of view, you can over do that just like any other food source. But for the average Joe and Jane, the MFP does seem to be a bit on the low side. Just my two farthings worth.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    MFP is set very low. As long as you don't go over about 170, you should be perfectly fine : )
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Bodybuilders eat 400-500 grams of protein a day? Umm..who? lol.

I eat 1-1.5g of protein per lb of my LBM. And it does not matter how much you eat in one meal. That is a myth bro. As long as you reach your minimums for the day and eat at a caloric deficit you are fine to lose weight.

It's calories in vs calories out.

Build muscle and gain weight = Eat a surplus over maintenance.
    Lose fat and lose weight without losing muscle = Eat a 500-1000 calorie deficit of your maintenance.

Meal timing doesnt matter.
    The amount of protein in any meal doesnt matter.
    Eating late at night doesn't matter.
    Eating 5-6 meals a day doesn't matter.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Sorry, but every one of those statements is false, according to my doctor.

Everyone's metabolism is different. Some people can eat only once or twice a day, and their body will adapt. Me, on the other hand, my doctor has instructed me to eat at least 50g of protein every 3 hrs while I'm awake, otherwise my metabolism will spike and crash all day, causing mood swings, depression and weight gain. For some people, timing is everything.

Your body treats a sugar or carb calorie very differently than it treats a protein calorie. One provides quick bursts of energy, the other provides steady energy for normal daily activities. So yes, you need to be careful about which kinds you eat at which times of the day, so that you have both kinds of energy available as you need them.

The calories in / calories out idea is a myth. Come on, think about it, the human body is an extremely complex collection of interacting chemical reactions. ANY variation on those chemical reactions will affect your ability to lose weight and/or burn energy efficiently. Even things you might not think are related. For example, not getting enough regular sleep creates a lack of certain brain chemicals, and those chemicals are the ones that help you resist temptations and exercise self-discipline. How efficiently your pancreas produces insulin, how efficiently your cells create, store and use fat, how quickly your body processes insulin, those are all variables that can change based on what you've eaten recently, how much you've exercised recently, the point you're at in your reproductive cycle (and yes, men have hormonal cycles too), etc.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Sorry, but every one of those statements is false, according to my doctor.

Everyone's metabolism is different. Some people can eat only once or twice a day, and their body will adapt. Me, on the other hand, my doctor has instructed me to eat at least 50g of protein every 3 hrs while I'm awake, otherwise my metabolism will spike and crash all day, causing mood swings, depression and weight gain. For some people, timing is everything.

Your body treats a sugar or carb calorie very differently than it treats a protein calorie. One provides quick bursts of energy, the other provides steady energy for normal daily activities. So yes, you need to be careful about which kinds you eat at which times of the day, so that you have both kinds of energy available as you need them.

The calories in / calories out idea is a myth. Come on, think about it, the human body is an extremely complex collection of interacting chemical reactions. ANY variation on those chemical reactions will affect your ability to lose weight and/or burn energy efficiently. Even things you might not think are related. For example, not getting enough regular sleep creates a lack of certain brain chemicals, and those chemicals are the ones that help you resist temptations and exercise self-discipline. How efficiently your pancreas produces insulin, how efficiently your cells create, store and use fat, how quickly your body processes insulin, those are all variables that can change based on what you've eaten recently, how much you've exercised recently, the point you're at in your reproductive cycle (and yes, men have hormonal cycles too), etc.

You're so misinformed.

It's really quite simple: If you burn 3000 calories a day, and you eat 2000 calories a day, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. Period.

Meal timing DOES NOT MATTER. As long as you get your calorie intake per day and hit your macros according to what your goals are you will have the same results.

The amount of protein per meal, DOES NOT MATTER. Again, 1g - 1.5g of protein per lb of LBM is what the human body should aim for.

You do NOT have to eat 5-6 meals a day to "stoke the metabolic fire". Please do some research on this. Here's a site for you to read.

http://www.leangains.com