Binge eating?

Options
I go 3 to 4 days of eating healthy then BAM go crazy and eat everything in sight. Then feel super guilty and hate myself afterwards. I also battle with depression/ADD and am struggling to find the right medication but I can't get prescribed anything narcotic because I am also a recovering drug addict...I'm a mess. Any advice pleaseeee. I would greatly appreciate it. I keep gaining and losing the same 7 lbs and its so frustrating

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Generally I found in myself, and have seen with others that the more restrictive a persons diet (whether that is excluding food groups, setting calories too low, of labeling some foods as "bad") the more likely they are to binge.

There is a group specifically for people who suffer from this. Hopefully someone will post up a link so thatyou can get an invite.
  • stottn1
    stottn1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're not currently on any prescription anti-depressants, You should seriously look into St. John's Wort. It's a very safe and clinically-proven effective treament for light depression. I've battled low-grade depression all my life and have found it very helpful- life-changing even. Find a good brand (I take Vitanica) and give it a shot. May take a few weeks to notice a difference. Do NOT take it if you're already taking another anti-depressant. Very dangerous side effects (Serotonin Syndrome) can result.
  • samilynn005
    samilynn005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    stottn1 wrote: »
    If you're not currently on any prescription anti-depressants, You should seriously look into St. John's Wort. It's a very safe and clinically-proven effective treament for light depression. I've battled low-grade depression all my life and have found it very helpful- life-changing even. Find a good brand (I take Vitanica) and give it a shot. May take a few weeks to notice a difference. Do NOT take it if you're already taking another anti-depressant. Very dangerous side effects (Serotonin Syndrome) can result.

I'm not taking anything right now...that's another problem I have. I start taking something that makes me feel great then I stop because I feel like I don't need it. I was on Lexapro.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Generally I found in myself, and have seen with others that the more restrictive a persons diet (whether that is excluding food groups, setting calories too low, of labeling some foods as "bad") the more likely they are to binge.

There is a group specifically for people who suffer from this. Hopefully someone will post up a link so thatyou can get an invite.

Exactly, the stress and guilt does far more damage than the extra calories.

Think about your diet plan this way, Can I do what I am doing right now for the rest of my life? Be honest with yourself. If the answer is NO, then you need to stop right now and create a new plan.
    Believe me, you can eat any type of food and still lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stottn1 wrote: »

I'm not taking anything right now...that's another problem I have. I start taking something that makes me feel great then I stop because I feel like I don't need it. I was on Lexapro.

are you seeing a therapist?
  • stottn1
    stottn1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As far as binge-eating, that happens to me sometimes, too. I think it's part of the depression/addiction thing for me. It sometimes seems that the only thing that gives me ANY pleasure, however fleeting, is eating. That leads to more self-loathing, leads to more eating, rinse, repeat. My key to breaking the cycle, other than treating the depression with the herbal supplement I mentioned above, is EXERCISE. It will immediately boost your serotonin levels and suppress your appetite, and instead of self-loathing, will induce positive feelings about yourself. It's a positive cycle. You just have to train yourself to take that right turn out the front door instead of heading to the fridge. Keep your walking shoes on all the time at first so you have no excuse. As soon as you find yourself bored and headed to the kitchen, TURN RIGHT! out the front door and go for a good brisk 10-minute walk. You'll return feeling better and without the urge to binge. If you keep it up, it will become a habit and will be your automatic go-to when negative thoughts and anxiety creep in. I lost 50 pounds a couple of years ago and this was a big part of it. I injured my hip overtraining and used that as an excuse to put it all back on. So here I am back at the start of my journey again! I'm training myself to TURN RIGHT! again, too. Good luck to you.
  • snowybone
    snowybone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book 'Brain over Binge' by Kathryn Hanson? It's really interesting and has helped a lot of people with binge eating. It's not conventional binge-eating advice, which is refreshing if you've read a lot of binge self-help books like I have!

Do you track your binges too? I find this to be helpful, although it is horrible to see the 'damage'!
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I also have struggled with a mixture of depression and the cycle of dieting for 3-4 days and then binging, then hating myself. You CAN and you WILL overcome it! I still do it every now and then but not nearly as often as I used to. Just coming here for advice is showing you're taking steps in the right direction.

Also--did the lexapro help? I used to get on prozac, feel great, then think "Oh I don't need this anymore YAY"....and then of course within weeks I was miserable. Now after years of doing that, I've learned to accept that my brain just has an imbalance and needs the help. If you feel that the pill helps, get back on it! If you would rather not depend on a pill, you should try therapy. It works wonders. And speak kindly to yourself!

Feel free to add me and message me anytime if you want to talk to someone who's been in the same sort of situation.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First things first--Take care of your mind. Be kind to yourself. It's hard to fight a physical battle when you're in a mental battle.
  • FitInMyHead
    FitInMyHead Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional binge eater- this I know about myself. It can be self-destructive. Th only person who can fix it it Me (or in your case for your bing eating..YOU).

We are here to support each other. you are NOT alone, know that...
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    A doctor or psychiatrist will prescribe a medication for your anxiety, but won't do talk therapy. Most cases of depression respond well to a course of cognitive behavioral therapy. You can find a licensed therapist who works with depression in your area here:

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com

Do NOT take herbal psychoactive remedies based on the recommendations of amateurs here; they're not qualified to diagnose and prescribe, and those who are qualified would never do so on an internet forum.

You might find the following cognitive approach helpful with the behavioral part of weight management:

http://www.beckdietsolution.com

Good luck with it.
  • Kir122
    Kir122 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to do the exact same thing. What I realized was that on the days I thought I was eating healthy, I actually wasn't eating enough. I was restricting my food intake too much so my brain began to urge me to eat a bunch of food. Survival instincts. So I'm wondering if you're doing the same, not eating enough on the days you consider healthy.
  • deedeesaysraaa
    deedeesaysraaa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater (B.E.D), too. I started with another eating disorder, Anorexia, after restricting and losing more and more weight...then reached my goal and went straight to bingeing and restricting. I still do it now
    BUT
    I use a great app on my phone called "Before I Eat" that talks you through your emotions and other things before you binge, almost to help you change your own mind about starting a binge. I'd highly recommend it

I would also suggest talking to a doctor about your feelings towards food before it gets worse

Good luck and if you need anything, pop a message over x
  • izzybbz
    izzybbz Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I really recommend going to your doctor and talking about the depression and how it's affecting your eating. I've been overweight by 20-30lbs pretty much since I was a teenager. But as I've gotten older I've also developed depression and anxiety problems that have become steadily worse. I have tried and failed to lose weight countless times, like you say, being healthy for a while and then binging and ruining it all.

Once I'd binged a little I'd fall completely back into old habits, punishing myself for not being able to stick to a diet and just accepting the fact that I'd always be a failure. But, recently, after I'd changed a number of other things in my life (cutting people out, moving to a new home, starting a new job) I finally decided it was time to face my demons and tackle my depression.
    I went to see the doctor and have been prescribed anti-depressants (sertraline) that I have been taking for about six weeks now. The difference it has made has been amazing. I no longer worry the way I did and I don't get upset about the tiniest of things. The urge to binge is still there but I am so much better at fighting it. Since starting the antidepressants, I have so much more motivation to lead a healthier life, and am much more confident to just do what I want, rather than what I think other people want me to do.

I'm doing really well and eating healthily and this time it just feels different, this time I know I'm ready and I can succeed. I'm also starting CBT therapy in the new year, which I am really looking forward to.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to write all of your feelings down, before and after you binge. Speak to your doctor, the likelihood is that he/she will tell you that your binging is a result of your depression, which then makes you feel even worse about yourself, creating a vicious cycle. Medication and/or therapy can help break this cycle and give you the confidence to make the changes in your life that you want to make. I hope this helps you and others, and it was really great to get this all out even if nobody reads it!

Good luck to you! :)