Snacking help

Options
I'm a notorious snacker, especially when I'm bored or stressed out. I'm trying to control this part of myself, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations, either for distracting yourself from snacking, or healthy alternatives to the office snack table (seriously, it looks like Willy Wonka stocked that thing!)

Replies

• ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up green peppers or cucumbers. The wife likes celery with peanut butter or cream cheese. Air popped popcorn lightly salted. Steamed Edamame, or just a handful of potato chips work in small serving sizes. On days my meals were light, I'll grab a bowl of sherbet.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Haha yeah do not partake from the Willy Wonka table! Or if you do log/track it all in myfitnesspal.

I'm a snacker too so I just plan for it - I eat very small meals only like 200 to 350 calories each so that I can fit in my 3 or 4 snacks a day. I choose mostly low calorie, high fiber, nutrient rich, or high protein snacks. Candy may taste great but it packs a lot of calories and very little nutrients & fiber. I tend to snack on fresh fruit, dried fruit, cottage cheese, flavored Greek yogurt (Fage is a good one), rice cakes, popcorn, protein bars, seaweed snacks, low calorie ice cream (Halo Top is a good one), raw veggies, protein shakes, and turkey jerky.

Or you can start drinking tea- it has basically no calories and there's all different flavors! I like peppermint tea or rooibos chai. I put a little milk or creamer in the chai but it's still really low calorie. When I get the urge to snack but I'm not actually hungry I choose tea. Or sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice is nice too.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like to use my snacks to get my macros closer to goal, which for me usual means getting more protein! So I tend to do cottage cheese with raw veg, tuna, protein shakes or bars, greek yogurt. If all my macros are in goal then I have something fun like popcorn with some rum drink on the side lol. Last night I had a little more room than usual so I had a fun size snickers, my first piece of Halloween candy (and probably last as the kids have it almost gone! ) I just let my diary run the show, whatever fits the macros and calorie goal!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Harsh response - exercise some self control
    Less harsh response - drink more water, eat more veg, pre-log calories, don't buy snacks.

A combination of the above will work wonders.
  • elianns
    elianns Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Harsh response - exercise some self control
    Less harsh response - drink more water, eat more veg, pre-log calories, don't buy snacks.

A combination of the above will work wonders.

Sometimes I need a harsh response, so this is helpful. I just need to do it and not talk about it so much.
    Haha yeah do not partake from the Willy Wonka table! Or if you do log/track it all in myfitnesspal.

That's my new goal...avoid it at all costs!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have this problem at home and snack on unsalted sunflower seeds. A couple handfuls keep me busy for a while and it's low calorie. Years ago, when I quit smoking, I took up cross stitching. I found if my hands were busy, I didn't think about smoking. I imagine the same would be true about snacking.
  • Dan_NY_27
    Dan_NY_27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    if you can't exercise self control try getting rid of unhealthy food around you and replace them with healthy options. Water also helps.

try a handful of nuts (don't crazy with salt) trailmix (healthy trailmix without a ton of salt or added sugar) apples, bananas. etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I always have "healthy" snacks available at work (veggies, no sugar applesauce, 100 calorie nut packs). That doesn't mean I always eat just those. But, I try.

Hot tea comes in so many flavors. Low (or zero) calorie & takes awhile to drink. It's also something to do with your hands (hot mug - cold day).

I have portion sized snacks at home - Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares - ice cream sandwiches - 100 calorie popcorn.

I NEVER eat in front of the TV. Mindless snacking is not something I can ever go back to. Instead I get a big glass of ice water and keep my hands busy. Knitting, solitaire, adult coloring book......anything that is a little bit of a distraction.