Sumo fan but should I be also doing conventional deadlifts?

Options
I had a personal trainer about a year ago have me try sumo and since then I've been pulling much more than I can on conventional deadlifts and it's my go-to deadlift style.

Should I go back and work away on conventionals too? I never do them (aside from as a warm up set) but also never seen really anyone doing sumo at my gym other than me.

Wise lifters chime in, please.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I want to hear the answers, too. I only sumo because I can't get past my own hips (not enough ROM) otherwise.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    While it's nice to do some alternate versions, it certainly isn't necessary. I only pull conventional. I may add sumo back in for an assistance/accessory lift, but I haven't fully decided yet.

I guess I'd say that as long as you feel your erectors are getting worked - as those are the main muscles I feel are hit harder in conventional vs. sumo - then you're probably fine and can simply choose whether or not to pull conventional, too. If not, then add something - back raises, RDL, or conventional - to hit them.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I pull both ways, in training I just do what my coach has written in my program. They are both roughly equal in strength for me.

On the platform, I pull sumo because I'm better at having patience off the floor than patience at lockout.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article on the topic:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/deadlifts-which-type-is-best-for-you

I recently have started doing Sumo as an accessory to Conventional as it's helped me with the 2 parts of Conventional I struggle with-weak Hamstrings and therefore I'm weak off the floor. Sumo is definitely easier on the back, and really teaches you (me) to "push through the floor".

I really think there's no right or wrong as to which one to do. Pick the one that works best for your goals.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are competing, do which you are stronger in.
    If you are training as a hobby, switch it up and swap stance as a accessory lift.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thx all
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I guess I'd say that as long as you feel your erectors are getting worked - as those are the main muscles I feel are hit harder in conventional vs. sumo - then you're probably fine and can simply choose whether or not to pull conventional, too. If not, then add something - back raises, RDL, or conventional - to hit them.

Basically this. If you want to do it more scientifically, use a camera to see if your torso angle (in red) of your DLs is significantly lower than your sumo. If it is, you might add some DLs or RDLs.. if it suits your goals (which you didn't state). :+1:
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I am mainly doing conventional right now because I struggle to get my hips where they should be for sumo ( @quiksylver296 we are opposites apparently lol)
    My coach has me throwing in sumo occasionally so I can get the form figured out and get some more glute/ham work in, which is a weak point for me.
    No harm in learning both. I know many competitors who have switched from one to the other at some point. And I've always been told if you get stronger in your weaker stance, your primary will likely be stronger as well.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am mainly doing conventional right now because I struggle to get my hips where they should be for sumo ( @quiksylver296 we are opposites apparently lol)
    My coach has me throwing in sumo occasionally so I can get the form figured out and get some more glute/ham work in, which is a weak point for me.
    No harm in learning both. I know many competitors who have switched from one to the other at some point. And I've always been told if you get stronger in your weaker stance, your primary will likely be stronger as well.

I'm like you in that I can't get into a comfortable position for sumo. It hurts my hips when I try to pull sumo with heavier weights. Conventional just feels more natural to me.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I have tried both for extended periods and have concluded, I am a conventional puller. So for my strength blocks, I pull conventional and for my hypertrophy blocks, I use Sumo as one of my possible exercises.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's dependant on your goals.

Just for general lifting strength, I think it's a good idea to do both if you can work it into your program.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's good to do sumo deadlifts to the extent it works your muscles differently but really not necessary.

If you want additional variation, you can also do trap bar deadlifts which are said to stress the back less and enable you to lift more than you can doing conventional deadlifts.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    In the end does it matter? If you're progressing there shouldn't be an issue.
    I rotate through sumo and wide grip DL as an accessory to conventional but that's only because I'm addressing specific sticking points.