Advice on protein

I'm currently in college and as a result I never have time to make full meals. I snack a lot and have noticed that I consume way too many carbs and not enough protein-- something that I am attributing to my sudden weight gain over the past year. I was wondering if someone could educate me on the effects and reasons behind consuming protein powder/protein shakes. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to start consuming protein shakes to replace the carb-heavy snacks that I usually consume. Does anyone think this is a good idea? And can anyone discuss how "full" protein shakes make you? I don't want to start drinking them unless it's going to keep me fuller longer (and thus substitute my snacks that I usually eat).

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Go for it. But if you prefer to eat, you can also snack on protein bars, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, jerky, hummus, and the list goes on.
  • rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Turkey pepperoni is my go-to afternoon snack. You can microwave them for about 45 - 60 seconds and it's almost like eating a chip. I may also eat low-fat cheese stick.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    If you're gaining weight, you need to replace what you're currently eating with lower-calorie items. If you swap out 200 calories of Cheetohs for 200 calories of protein shake, you're still going to struggle with weight control. Pay attention to the calories when you're choosing what to snack on.

Getting more protein is usually a good idea - a lot of people don't get enough, and many find it helps with satiety. However, drinking my calories has never kept me as full as eating them. This is a personal thing that you may not know until you try it for a bit. If you find milk fills you up, protein shakes probably will too. If not, choosing a protein bar or one of the high-protein snacks mentioned above might be better. You might also get a better overall nutrient profile.

Another thing to consider is making more of your carby snacks high-fiber. If your goal is to feel full so you eat less, fiber can help a lot. Apples, berries, pistachios, celery sticks, etc. are all easy to snack on (but count out your pistachios, don't just mindlessly eat them!), or swap out a low-fiber cracker for a high-fiber one (Triscuits are much more filling to me than Saltines).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I was wondering if someone could educate me on the effects and reasons behind consuming protein powder/protein shakes.

They simply help increase your protein intake. If you're lacking in protein consumption, they're probably not a bad idea. If you simply like them (I sometimes just want one, so I drink one), that's fine too.

Generally, I don't find them particularly filling, unless there's a bit of fruit mixed in with them. Of course, the Calorie content is higher - which is probably why those are filling. I typically eat only one snack per day (plus 3, somtimes only 2) meals. That snack is a protein bar. I've also had Greek yogurt as a snack, too.

• linzdai
    linzdai Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2016
    As was mentioned above, adding fiber to your meals can help with feelings of hunger. I like to add ground flax to almost anything I eat—yogurt, sauces, salads, etc. Bran buds are also excellent for adding fiber to your diet.

Nuts and some seeds are a great source of protein. Chia seeds have a lot of protein and can be added to a lot of different types of foods as well to give you added nutrients. Some other foods that are quick and easy to eat and can give you a protein boost are:

Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Swiss cheese
    Feta cheese
    Eggs
    Milk
    Beans
    Lentils
    Jerky
    Peanut butter (any nut butters, really)
    Bean chips
    Edamame
    Green peas
    Wheat germ
    Nutritional yeast
    Protein-enriched breads
    Quinoa
    Avocado

Personally I aim for a minimum of 70g of protein a day. If I exercised more often I would shoot for 100 to 130g a day, but this amount varies based on gender, height, weight, and age. There are protein calculators on the web to help you find out a good range for you. The trick is to find foods that you can "sneak" into your meals to keep your protein up in a healthy range.

Protein shakes and smoothies can be great, but they aren't the only answer. Personally I go through phases with them and generally prefer something to nom on. :)

Hope that helps!!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Keep calm and carb on. Your weight gain was less from carbs and more from eating more food than you used as energy.

Protein doesn't have magical weight loss properties so drinking a protein shake won't promote weight loss any more than, as mentioned, eating the same amount of carbs. Protein shakes are generally for helping those with protein goals meet their required protein intake conveniently.

For me, a lone protein shake doesn't do much for satiety. Maybe an hour or so if that's the only thing I'm eating BUT combined with, say, an apple, you may get more mileage with that fiber/protein/carb combo.