oh my SUGAR!

Options
so i dont know about anyone else....but i find even when i stay under my calorie intake my SUGAR is throught the ROOF! i looked back a few days and my sugar was 156 grams!! other days its like in the 80's. i have a sweet tooth pretty bad.... does anyone have any healthy snacks that arelow in sugar? or any tips at all? why is there sugar in EVERYTHING!? ahh...cadbury mini eggs are my weakness and they are everywhere now! help me!!!!!

Replies

• jfox
    jfox Posts: 11
    Options
    so i dont know about anyone else....but i find even when i stay under my calorie intake my SUGAR is throught the ROOF! i looked back a few days and my sugar was 156 grams!! other days its like in the 80's. i have a sweet tooth pretty bad.... does anyone have any healthy snacks that arelow in sugar? or any tips at all? why is there sugar in EVERYTHING!? ahh...cadbury mini eggs are my weakness and they are everywhere now! help me!!!!!
  • lscott
    lscott Posts: 3
    Options
    Did you ever tried dried dates? Very sweet and satisfying.
  • lucmclaren381
    Options
    :frown: I added sugar to my food diary too..............................OMG!!!!! I couldnt beleive it lol!!!! I thought i was being so good with my calories etc then i saw this!!!!!:noway:
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    I hear ya. I am having trouble with that too. i love mini eggs too, thank god they aren't out all year long:ohwell:
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    sugar is addictive so you're going to probably have to wean yourself down to almost no sugar. Are you logging your foods BEFORE you eat them? Think fruits and veggies...4-5 of each per day. Also, it may help to only get dark cocoa chocolate (60%). It is so rich that it will settle a craving much quicker. It's worth a try and the cocoa is healthy in small portions. Also, cereal, oatmeal and yogurt with fresh fruit and low-fat granola make great snacks. And be patient with yourself. It takes about 30 days to begin true behavior change! Good luck!
  • slowrey
    Options
    I love sugar too. I just recently found sugar free mini Hershey bars and Mini Reese's peanut butter cups. They are sweetened with Splenda, have minimal calories and totally hit the spot! :)
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love sugar too. I just recently found sugar free mini Hershey bars and Mini Reese's peanut butter cups. They are sweetened with Splenda, have minimal calories and totally hit the spot! :)

I'm big on sugar free candies too...The Hershey's, Dove and Russell Stover S/F candies are great!!
    But BEWARE...the sugar alcohol content can have a laxative effect. Eat in moderation when first starting out!!

My favorites are Sugar free gummy bears. ( from natural foods store) That laxative effect? Hard to avoid with those things around. yikes!
  • laurajane81
    Options
    :frown: I added sugar to my food diary too..............................OMG!!!!! I couldnt beleive it lol!!!! I thought i was being so good with my calories etc then i saw this!!!!!:noway:

:mad: Omg luc im so angry some days ive gone over my sugar by 100 thats so bad... im really gonna have to rethink my diet......x
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    we all love sugar!! i have added it to my food list, but only allow 1/2 tsp day if i am eating cereal. have you tried eating healthy fats with each meal? this can help with satiety. (make your hunger stay away longer) we do need some fat in our diets, but not all the processed sugar/carbs. i agree that fresh fruits and veggies are good ones as well as lowfat cheese and lowfat/carb yogurts. Good Luck, hope this helps!
  • littletiger972000
    Options
    What about when you crave something sweet to chew a piece of gum! I really like the Stride sweet cinnamon and the flavor lasts for a long time!!
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    dried pitted dates, dried black figs and dried orange cranberries they are sweet and flavorful and have a good texture i love having two or three fruits after a good meal, just sweet enough to satify that craving.
  • jacquelyna
    Options
    Sugar, my biggest weakness/addiction. You could pass alcohol or drugs in front of me and I wouldn't be tempted one bit. BUT if a piece of chocolate cake is anywhere in the vicinity, my mouth starts to water. That's why I've cut out eating sugar--completely. I take that back, I do use Splenda in my coffee. But I've found that I'm not craving sweets. Sure, I have my days where I'd love to stop at the store and by a dozen donuts and scarf them all down (that's how I got to nearly 300 lbs). Cutting out what I call the evil "white" powder I've basically normalized my blood sugar. I know it's extreme, but it's making me sane.

Good luck!
  • yooperme
    yooperme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    EXCEPT for this past weekend (where i failed miserably) I try to eliminate the good food - choc, etc......even if you substitute fruit the sugar content is high, apples are terrible.....I was amazed at the high content on some fruits. I have no good answer, except to try and rid your house of any candies.....i've went to graham crackers for sweet, which aren't too bad, but u have to only have one sheet of 4 sqs. When that candy urge hits I head for the water.....I tell my selft if I drink 20 oz of water I can have a piece......I am not a big h20 drinker so by time I down the water the craving is gone, or i just don't want it anymore.......try drinking water befor the treat......good luck
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    I added sugar and then took it off about a week later after failing each day to stay within the recommendations. I love candies/cookies but only eat them in moderation, maybe one or two dark chocolate kisses a day or every few days so that wasn't the problem.

I was going over because I eat so much fruit during the day. I have an apple and banana most mornings as part of my breakfast in addition to yogurt (which has sugar). Apples help wake you up better than coffee does, plus it throws a fruit in there too. Add that to the fruit I have at lunch or dinner, and snacks (grapes, oranges, pears, kiwi, etc) and I am way over the recommendations. Fruit isn't the same as white sugar but it still register's the same on the diary, it is impossible to differentiate.

I have decided that I am going to eat as much fruit as I want. It helps me with my cravings for the candies and cookies, and it is better for me than those things too.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    I added sugar and then took it off about a week later after failing each day to stay within the recommendations. I love candies/cookies but only eat them in moderation, maybe one or two dark chocolate kisses a day or every few days so that wasn't the problem.

I was going over because I eat so much fruit during the day. I have an apple and banana most mornings as part of my breakfast in addition to yogurt (which has sugar). Apples help wake you up better than coffee does, plus it throws a fruit in there too. Add that to the fruit I have at lunch or dinner, and snacks (grapes, oranges, pears, kiwi, etc) and I am way over the recommendations. Fruit isn't the same as white sugar but it still register's the same on the diary, it is impossible to differentiate.

I have decided that I am going to eat as much fruit as I want. It helps me with my cravings for the candies and cookies, and it is better for me than those things too.
    I did the same thing - I added sugar and promptly took it off a week later. I have identified any non-fruit sugar in my diet and have reduced or eliminated it where I can, but I'm not going to stress about going over my sugar because of fruit. I go over it just with my 4 daily servings of fruit (no juice - just fresh fruit).
  • debra1962
    Options
    Hi,
    How do you get rid of the cravings for sugar? If you have any suggestions let me know.

Debi
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    like any addiction, the cravings let up only when you get completely away from whatever it is you're addicted to. I can't eat refined sugar at all or I just crave it all the time and go around feeling like I'm fighting myself constantly. But if I get away from it for any substantial time, the cravings really fade and i can relax and enjoy my life.
  • Starrotts
    Starrotts Posts: 164
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i too am a sugar junkie and:we r talkin not 1 chocolate bar but enough to make me so full im sick .....so i have been 4 weekswith no junk and feel much better ,however at night after supper at about 8 i crave junk sweets aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh so far i have been fighting those fffffffffffffff feelings but im scared if i give in its gouing to ruin everything:cry:
  • lscott
    Options
    Have you tried the South Beach Diet? The first two weeks are planned to wean you from sugar.