Macros % on Keto/low-carb diet to begin

Options
Hi all,

I just started on a low-carb diet. I have insulin resistance and after reviewing some articles, a low-carb diet is what I think will work better for me.
I have always been a big fan of carbs, specially sweets, and since 2 weeks ago, I started cutting down on sweets, which was my biggest challenge. Now that I don't feel sweet cravings all the time, I started eating low-carb. I didn't want to cut down on carbs drastically, so, 15% of my intake are carbs, however, I don't know if it is too high or not. I'm trying to eat lower than that of course, but I know that I can eat up to 59 grms/day, which gives me some relieve.
Is it possible to enter into ketosis by consuming 15% of carbs daily? would you recommend me eating less? I'm kinda concerned about the fats.
Any advice about how to follow this diet is well received.

Replies

• sharynmgeorge66
    sharynmgeorge66 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I myself keep my carbs between 15 and 20 net
    as my limit... Protein is your next important number as you need to keep you muscles heathy so you have the ability to function correctly... fat is what keeps you satiated, and it feeds your brain...so it is important also.

Basic Principles

Stick with the keto ratio: 60-75% of calories from fat, 15-30% calories from protein and 5-10% calories from net carbs.

Start by getting the daily net carbs (total carbs without fiber) down to less than 50 grams, preferably 20-30 grams. Increase slowly to find the optimal carbs intake. Most of you will be able to stay in ketosis at 20-30 grams of net carbs per day. Find the carbs limit that allows you to stay in ketosis.

Keep your protein intake moderate. Preferably, use your body fat percentage to get the best estimate for your optimal protein intake (0.6 to 1 grams per pound of lean body mass or 1.3 to 2.2 grams per kg of lean body mass). http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy

Increase the proportion of calories that come from healthy fats (saturated, omega 3s, monounsaturated)
    If your net carbs limit is very low (20 grams and below), avoid eating fruit and low-carb treats.

Eat when you are hungry, even if it's a meal a day. Don't let others dictate what you eat or how often you eat.
    You don't have to limit quantities of food deliberately, but you should stop eating when you feel full, even if the plate is not empty - keep it for later.

Don't count calories - listen to your body needs. Ketogenic and low-carb diets have a natural appetite control effect and you will eat less. Keep an eye on your calorie intake only if you reach a weight loss plateau, try KetoDiet buddy to find your ideal macros.

Increase the amount of water you drink - at least 2-3 litres a day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, there is a low carb group here in the MFP forums somewhere, I know folks here who do low-carb say it's very helpful.

I don't do low-carb myself, but two things I wanted to mention based on your post - you can do low-carb and not enter ketosis, and if you're doing low-carb you kind of have to do high fat, or at least higher fat.

Hope you find some guidance and good luck!
  • diane79zp
    diane79zp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes, I just signed in to the low-carb group.
    I'm trying to keep my total carbs in 50 gen. Today' net carbs: 36.
    How can I tell when I'm ketosis?
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my protein between .6g/lb of gross body weight or .8g/lb of lean body mass.
    I aim for 45-50g of carbs net per day
    the rest I fill in with fat.

I can't use the % method because if I am eating my exercise calories everything can get too high.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    diane79zp wrote: »
    How can I tell when I'm ketosis?

You can measure stuff or just go on initial symptoms like metallic taste, strange smell to pee or breath, lack of hunger, dizziness on standing up.