Thanksgiving help :)

Options
fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
We host Thanksgiving every year. I'm always in charge of side dishes. When I make green beans, corn and other veggies, I typically just use a little salt--I don't use butter or any of the other fun, fattening seasonings. :)
My question is this: is there a way to make healthier versions of mashed potatoes, stuffing and sweet potato casserole? I would like to try those for this year but I don't want to use a pound of sugar or butter.
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• aliciapede
    aliciapede Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For mashed potatoes (and probably sweet potatoes too), you can use nonfat plain Greek yogurt to make them nice and creamy without adding extra fat.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i find that potatoes come out good with just broth, in a pressure cooker, i like to add extra garlic in. I also find sweet potatoes need way less help being yummy then they are typically given.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    How about these for the sweet potato casserole. Disclaimer: I have not tried either recipe but the ingredients seem to make it flavorful and nutritious.

http://cookthestory.com/healthy-sweet-potato-casserole-recipe/
    http://cupcakesomg.blogspot.com/2012/07/paleo-sweet-potato-casserole-and-rest.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    there's nothing inherently unhealthy about using butter...dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition...

I usually just use milk in my mashed potatoes...I stuff my stuffing into the bird so it will soak up some fat from that...nothing wrong or unhealthy about that either...I make chipotle spiced sweet potatoes...I don't get the marshmallow thing.

I've never added sugar to anything I can think of in my holiday feast...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a great recipe for Sweet Potato Apple Casserole

Basically layer sliced (fresh) sweet potato & apple slices in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt. Mix thawed apple juice concentrate (1/4 cup or so) 2 tablespoons of melted butter, a little bit of brown sugar (like 1/4 cup) & at least 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle over sweet potatoes. The recipe calls for chopped candied ginger (at least a teaspoon) it's nice if you've got it (but pricey). Bake casserole covered in foil 30 minutes, then uncovered for 30 minutes.

The leftover apple juice concentrate can be used to make cranberry sauce.....you can reduce the sugar this way. I like to use Splenda in cranberry sauce too.

For mashed potatoes you could mash in 50% cooked cauliflower. Butter (or gravy) is yummy. It's a special day with foods you don't get often. Don't lighten it up too much.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Instead of milk I use some type of broth or stock.. in Thanksgivings case it'd be chicken broth for mashed potatoes
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Those of you who use broth for potatoes do you add butter too? OP I don't make a sweet potato casserole because I love them as they are. I scrub them and pop them in an oven for about an hour and they get all soft and caramelized and delicious. Then I let my loved ones douse theirs in syrup and brown sugar and I eat mine plain :)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I just make my normal recipes, splurge a little, and freeze the leftovers (or give them away).
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes: I never use milk or butter in my mashed potatoes. I always use broth or stock. Nobody has ever complained.

Sweet potatoe
    s: My sweet potato casserole is mashed sweet potatoes. Period. No brown sugar, no melted marshmallows, no butter. I do bake them for a good long time so they get a nice crust on the top.

dressing: My dressing (outside the bird not inside) is cornbread, chicken or turkey stock, onions, celery, and spices. No butter. Ever. I make a no-oil cornbread (cornmeal, salt, almond milk)

GRAAAAAVY!!!! I think the true secret to living without all that butter and milk is to serve damned good gravy. Mine is mushroom, stock, and cornstarch-- 35 calories per half cup. I make about one metric ton of the stuff, and everybody pours it on everything-- the potatoes, the dressing, the turkey (and even the green beans!)

Oh, and I'd be that person at your table complaining about the salt in the green beans (;-) I HATE added salt cooked in with ANY vegetables! That's what the shaker on the table is for!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    Those of you who use broth for potatoes do you add butter too? OP I don't make a sweet potato casserole because I love them as they are. I scrub them and pop them in an oven for about an hour and they get all soft and caramelized and delicious. Then I let my loved ones douse theirs in syrup and brown sugar and I eat mine plain :)

Yeah I use butter with the broth
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes: I never use milk or butter in my mashed potatoes. I always use broth or stock. Nobody has ever complained.

Sweet potatoe
    s: My sweet potato casserole is mashed sweet potatoes. Period. No brown sugar, no melted marshmallows, no butter. I do bake them for a good long time so they get a nice crust on the top.

dressing: My dressing (outside the bird not inside) is cornbread, chicken or turkey stock, onions, celery, and spices. No butter. Ever. I make a no-oil cornbread (cornmeal, salt, almond milk)

GRAAAAAVY!!!! I think the true secret to living without all that butter and milk is to serve damned good gravy. Mine is mushroom, stock, and cornstarch-- 35 calories per half cup. I make about one metric ton of the stuff, and everybody pours it on everything-- the potatoes, the dressing, the turkey (and even the green beans!)

Oh, and I'd be that person at your table complaining about the salt in the green beans (;-) I HATE added salt cooked in with ANY vegetables! That's what the shaker on the table is for!

On your mashed potatoes....how much broth do you use?
    Your stuffing sounds really good as well!