Any good sweet potato recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired of the same mashed or roasted sweet potatoes (especially since I honestly don't like them that much). I want to love them, I really do, but I just don't know what to do with them besides above. Any ideas?

If you don't like them, don't eat them...there's nothing particularly special about them...rather than buying into the whole "super food" notion, do an actual side by side with a regular old potato and compare nutritional information..you will find the differences to be negligible...you will find that a regular old downtrodden potato has slightly more of some nutrients than a sweet potato...and vice versa.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Ditto the don't eat if you don't like ...

But if you want to keep trying, try them savory. I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes + anything sweet, but sweet potatoes + spicy pulled pork, I love. I'll put a poached egg on there if I'm lucky enough to have that many calories to spare.

I'll also do sweet potato + hot sauce or sweet potato + butter + spicy salt. I have a ghost pepper salt that's perfect for this.

I've also had sweet potato and peanut butter (apparently it's a take on an African dish), and I'm kind of on the fence about that one.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries
    Sweet potato pie
  • HeidiCalderLivingStrong
    Options
    Janae, here is a great South Beach Diet recipe for sweet taters that my family loves and would make an excellent side dish for Thanksgiving.

Indian Spiced Sweet Potatoes <for 4 servings>:
    4 small Sweet Taters (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut up
    1tsp Garam Masala (can get at any Indian or Middle Eastern Market)
    1/2 tsp each of Salt, ground Cumin, and ground Ginger
    4 tsp extra-virgin Olive Oil
    1 lime, juiced (use 2 tsp)

Steam the sweet potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes until very tender.
    Transfer to a large bowl and add garam masala, salt, cumin, and ginger.
    Mash the potatoes and the spices together.
    Add olive oil and the juice from the lime and mash again.
  • jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't knock it til you try it - it's my favorite meal ever.

mashed sweet potato (I usually just microwave it and scrape out the insides)
    banana
    chicken/ground turkey (I like ground turkey better with it)
    peanut butter

Mix it up and add whatever spices you want. Sometimes I'll do cinnamon.