Weight loss after hysterectomy

Options
Any women out there having difficulties losing after hysterectomy? I'm 40 and had a full hysterectomy last year. I've always battled my weight I'm 5"1 and 192lbs. I've been tracking with mfp since oct 1, eating 1200 cal a day and burning 500 cal a day on my treadmill. I've lost 8.9 lbs so far. I'm not going to give up, but man this was easier in my 20s. Did weight watchers at 25 and lost 55lbs in 8 months. Seems much slower and harder coming off this time. I read some info on post hysterectomy mailing weight loss difficult. Any experiences?

Replies

• Dukeforlife89
    Dukeforlife89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I went through menopause a year ago and I've put on 10 lbs. I would imagine after a hysterectomy that you're sort of in the same boat as those of us going through menopause. Yes, I've noticed it's much harder to lose weight at my age of 51. I'm starting today to get back on track and read some articles about how to lose weight after menopause. All of the articles say to cut out the sugar and simple carbohydrates, and eat a lot more fruits and vegetables. I'm also trying to drink a lot more water. We'll see how it goes! Great job losing 8.9!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have both gone through menopause and had a hysterectomy. And yes, for it was harder to lose than when I was younger. I really don't know if it's because of the hormonal changes, the fact that I let myself become overweight (I was never overweight when losing weight when I was younger), or simply that I'm in a different place mentally. But I'd bet that it was a little of all three.

For me, exercise was key this time. It definitely helped with other things hormone related like mood swings so I think it seem logical to assume it also affected weight control. Plus, it's no important now to prevent bone and muscle loss.

Harder? Yes, for me. Impossible? Not at all. I was successful and so far have been keeping it off.
  • lisapackard
    lisapackard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree. Loosing it in my 20s was easy. I simply had to watch what I ate. I hardly exercised at all. Now I hit the treadmill 45 min a day and watch what I eat and count calories. It's coming off slowly but surely. Another 2.5 lbs this week. 11.4 so far. I'm on a mission!
    Thanks ladies.
  • traderbren
    traderbren Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy end of September. Prior to, I had packed on a few pounds of water weight from the huge cyst, and had not been able to exercise like usual due to the pain. Now that I've been cleared to exercise again (primarily running), I've been trying to track my food and run more frequently, but I'm really struggling to lose. It's really frustrating for me, especially when I look in the mirror at the end of the day at my swollen belly, or when I try to fit into clothes that just a year ago were big on me, but now they are tight.
  • karenstep
    karenstep Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m 41 and haven’t had a hysterectomy but have crazy hormones well – I had one ovary removed 6 years ago due to a dermoid cyst, and the remaining one gets cysts as well and I think that one is barely functioning due to my horribly irregular cycles. Weight loss is super slow for me as well – I have lost 30 pounds in 8 months with 5-7x a week exercise and tracking calories. I will maybe lose 1-3 pounds a month now at best, I’m 13 pound from my goal weight. Low sugar has helped me as well, and I‘ve done low carb diets in the past and lost quickly but it’s not sustainable for me and I’ve gained it back. Now it’s CICO and exercise. I still try to go as low sugar on things when I can, and lots of water, fruit, veggies, high protein, high fiber. You’re at almost 9 pounds in 2 months – 4 pounds a month which is about what I lost when I first started too. Stick with it – it will come off!
  • KarenMarie1010
    KarenMarie1010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 28 years ago. I was on hormones until about 4 years ago. I stopped smoking 6 years ago. Between the loss of hormones and not smoking, I have put on almost 30lbs. I have tried various diets, but nothing has worked. My doctor said I need to do cardio exercises that will get my heart rate up to 120bpm for 30 minutes. My body can't tolerate running. Any other ideas?
  • sienainthesun
    sienainthesun Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy and had both of my ovaries removed about 16 years ago at age 28. Maintaining a healthy weight did get much harder. My metabolism took a while to get settled into a normal place and that normal place was much slower than it had been so I did put on some weight. Now I have lost most of what I put on, but very slowly. That is okay with me - as long as the progress is happening that is just fine.

I run about 4-5 times a week and do a lot of walking and hiking as well. I am a very careful tracker both to control calorie consumption, but also to ensure that I am getting enough calcium. I set my calories to lose half a pound a week and it has worked well without feeling like I am stressed out about food. I have lost 17 pounds since late June.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I did lose my weight after menopause. My first serious weight loss effort was when I was younger, and I have to say that for me... either being older or younger, the difference is really in exercise. I didn't exercise when I tried to lose weight when I was younger and lost slowly. I exercised now, and... still lost what most people would consider slowly. I was perfectly happy with my results. I've lost 94 pounds in 2 years.

From my earlier efforts dieting, I always thought it was hard for me to lose weight. What I've come to find out is just that ... I'm short, there are only so many calories I can cut, and weight will only come off at a certain rate.

OP, we're the same height. You have lost just about 9 pounds in almost as many weeks? That's a fabulous, normal weight of loss.

Having realistic expectations made it so much easier for me, I hope it will for you too. One of the things to understand is that you're likely not burning 500 calories if that's what your treadmill is telling you. You might be burning half that.

Scale back your idea of what you expect your body to do. You are doing really well and are off to a great start.

• Kirkwmj
    Kirkwmj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 190! Partial Hysterectomy and I'm only 38. I had complications and gained 30 lbs before the hysterectomy! My surgery was 2-2-17! It's been 11 weeks and I've tried so hard to lose the weight and it's not budging!!! I've just been released to go to the gym. I've been there for 2 weeks now and still nothing!! My diet is so clean... I just don't get it!!!!