Healthy Harry Potter Themed Recipes

So, I' going to admit I'm the dorkiest adult on this planet BUT starting tonight my friends and I are having a Hary Potter themed 2 day extravaganza (leading up til when we can see the new movie at 10pm tomorrow). Anyway, we're supposed to be eating themed foods and not ONE thing sounds healthy. Chocolate Frogs, Chocolate covered "wand" pretzels, Pop Rocks and Sour Lollipops, and Jelly Beans are on the menu. HELP ME!!! I need healthy food that will sustain me and get me to say "No" to all the candy!!

Replies

• julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    What about roasted pumpkin seeds and/or pumpkin juice!
  • Lily0013
    Lily0013 Posts: 28
    Pumpkin juice, bread, seeds, etc. You could make an ambrosia fruit salad with fruit, nuts, fat free greek yogurt and some honey.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    I <3 Harry Potter too! I think you should make sure you eat a healthy meal before you start so that you are not starving, and just enjoy the treats in moderation. I don't see any harm in this if you log everything and it's not an everyday thing!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Somebody posted Butter Beer Jello Shots. Not helping I know but it Freakin Harry Potter. I can't wait.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    LOL..... Glad I am not the only dorky adult here. Making my Deathly Hallow sign shirt for the midnight showing tonight. Have fun with your party!
  • I love Harry Potter! :smile:

What about the foods they serve in the Great Hall - there's all kinds of regular food that you can make; it doesn't all have to be treats from Honeydukes or the trolley on the train!!

Have a ton of fun!!
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    I am going to the midnight showing tonight down at Navy Pier in Chicago! Should be pretty awesome! I'm super excited!! Have you tried doing a google search???

I found this online:

My Hogwarts-Inspired Pumpkin Juice
    5 cups apple juice
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

Combine all in a large pitcher and stir well. I did this and let it sit for an hour or so in the refrigerator and then strained much of the solids from it. It was too thick as is and straining it lessened that. Put it back in the refrigerator until it's ice cold and serve. Makes about 6 cups.

Troll Toe Nails can be found here:
    http://www.thatsmyhome.com/recipes-for-kids/troll-toenails.htm

make sure when you make them you use reduced fat cheese and maybe just mash up regular black beans, instead of having the refried ones!

For Cauldron Cakes

you can get a box of devils food chocolate cake & a can of diet soda and make it that way to lighten it up! then just stick a black licorice stick on it like a handle! just leave out the frosting!

I made cockroach clusters with pecans & dark chocolate...just make sure you make them on the smaller side! you can make them with any nut that you prefer really or even pretzels.

Also remember from the books that they dont just have treats all the time!! what about roasting a turkey like they have around christmas?? look here:
    http://www.hp-lexicon.org/essays/essay-food.html

for lots of different ideas of food that has been mentioned in the books!!

GOOD LUCK!! :) and enjoy!
  • Nytram81
    Nytram81 Posts: 44
    ANYONE who likes Harry Potter is amazing!
  • I agree Harry Potter is great!!!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Oh I should have mentioned, I LOVE Harry Potter, you're definitely not a dork!! I actually got to see it already on Tuesday at an advance screening!!!
  • All of you are AWESOME!! I'm definitely making adult butterbeer as it's AAAmazing and not horrible with calories (ok, it's not that great on calories either). And the troll toes could definitely be made into a healthy version. I'm just concerned about being in someone else's house for 24 hours with no access to healthy food haha.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Not a recipe, but one thing I did for my Halloween party last year was printing my own labels for bottles. Kinda like this:

http://mandeeandbrandy.blogspot.com/2009/07/downloadable-butter-beer-labels.html

At first, I tried printing them on adhesive paper, but printing them on cardstock, then using a glue stick (the twist-up kind, not a hot glue gun glue stick) worked best. I used red Sobe drinks for True Blood bottles. Also on 2 liter bottles, but I don't have any good pictures of those.

IMG_9470.jpg

Not only for drink labels, but on jars for votive candles makes a fantastic decoration. I made a bunch of potion ingredient labels for candles. I saved cleaned out salsa and spaghetti sauce jars for months!

IMG_9451.jpg

IMG_9449.jpg

And on glass vases from Dollar Tree for my pretzel rod fingers and Twizzlers as "arteries." :wink:

IMG_9482.jpg
  • tushiness
    tushiness Posts: 29
    We had one of those partys the other night before the movie! My friend made pumpkin cupcakes which were delish!

I cut up LOTS of fruit - pineapple, strawberries, rasberries, kiwi etc and marshmallows and drizzled a tiny amount of melted milk and white chocolate all over them. Then finished by drizzling slightly with sprinkles - Not exactly 'healthy' but they look cute and sort of Harry Potter-ish haha!
  • Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Harry!! ahaha!!

I know I'm going to cry. Cry hard. probably thought the whole dang movie. I'm making my "Team Neville" shirt later today to wear to the midnight showing. Oh yeah, I'm 29 years old. No shame!!!
  • ok I'm jealous... I want to join you!