Foods to take camping?

Options
We are going camping this weekend and I'm the only one with food restrictions. I have Gestational Diabetes and I'm at a loss when it comes to foods to bring. We will only have coolers, no fridge (we're tenting). While hubby and daughter are enjoying the roasted marshmallows, hot dogs and s'mores ... what am I supposed to do? Munch on carrots all weekend?

What are some suggestions. We'll be going food shopping for our camping trip late this afternoon so let me hear what you recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Some easy and yummy camping foods:

Grilled red potatos-seasoned with parsley black peppper and garlic salt made in a foil packet (I use my oil sprtizer to cover it so they don't burn but butter works too)

Grilled veggies-zucchini, peppers

Grilled chicken kabobs made with veggies

grilled corn

bring a salad tand fresh fruits to munch on too
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Not that I could tell you what to pack but fruits and veggies are a great idea. However the last time I went camping or (cabining) with friends I brought things for me to eat and still splurged for the weekend. Don't let one weekend get you down try to have fun. I ignored my calorie intake and tried to be good most of the day know I still was eating naughty things here and there. Hope this helps
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Take lots and lots of nuts! Walnuts, almonds, etc. I used to hate nuts but since I've gone vegetarian they're a godsend. Look for lower sugar protein bars, those will help curb any craving. Apples, bananas, mandarins, plums...all good, easy fruits to take as well. You may also be able to find some low sugar granola! You could also take some little multigrain english muffins and a jar of natural peanut butter. The higher in fiber/protein your camping foods are, the less likely you are to cave and have a s'more :)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Have a hot dog. :)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure about these suggestions with the diabetes but here they are...

Pasta salad with veggies (I usefresh or frozen ones) and a lght italian dressing (to avoid the mayo issues)
    fruit salads
    avocado You can turn into a guacamole, slice and mix with nuts and a lite dressing, slice and put on sandwiches or mash and use as a spread on a sandwich inplace of mustard or mayo
    nuts
    crackers with cheese
    tortilla chips and salsa (and with the above guacamole)
    peanut butter for apples or celery dipping and of course on crackers or sandwich

HAPPY CAMPING!!
  • Ellastrong
    Ellastrong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We're going camping in a few weeks too, and I always buy a huge veggie tray.
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    Hebrew National makes a killer low fat hot dog, that and light hot dog buns and you're in! I'd also do grilled chicken, maybe marinate some shrimp or seafood if you like that and make yourself some prechopped salads and put them in portion sized Ziploc bags....add a lil dressing right in the bag and shake. Good luck!!!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    granola bars, slimfast bars and such, applesauce
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I took those bags of tyson chicken.....over in the canned food aisle. My husband got smart and put it in a pan....and threw in a little bit of bbq sauce....and we had bbq chicken sandwiches on bread. HE used pita and I used 35 wheat....never would have thought it would have tasted good! lol We also took fruit to munch on....veggies.....and low cal crackers. When we went camping...we tried to maintain....not necessarily lose weight. We just didnt take JUNK FOOD with us. Also...one marshmallow wont hurt you. Just dont make a smores with chocolate. It is one weekend....if you feel like you are depriving yourself....you will have a hard time. Also, if you are taking a cooler....turkey sandwiches arent bad! I like vegetables.....so I ate alot of carrots, and took a cucumber and sliced it up....
    Probably am not being much help....but, that was what we did. : )
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I usually prep some meat for kabobs (chicken or pork usually) and throw the meat and marinade (if any) into a ziploc baggie in the cooler. Then when they're ready to have their hot dogs, just thread some meat onto some skewers and you'll be good to go! I wouldn't be surprised if your camping mates would rather skewers than hot dogs either!

Seriously though, if you do a little planning ahead of time and get some healthy foods prepped and ready to just cook on a camp bbq or coleman stove, you'll have a much better time and be eating healthy to boot :)
  • rhenneberry
    Options
    I have a twist on how to enjoy smores. Instead of the chocolate and marshmellow. I have used Jell-o Mousse as a substitute. The mousse is only 60 cal per serving. What I do is spread the mousse on the graham cracker. It gives you a similar texture without the added calories.

60 cal - Jello Sugar Free Pudding - Mousse Temptations Dark Chocolate Decadence
    75 cal - Honey Maid - Graham Crackers- 1 Whole Cracker
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    popcorn.
    I usually take cut up carrots and dips wither hommus or tzaziki plus some sakatas
    couled take some chicken breasts to throw on the cooker the first night.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    are you allowed hot dogs? oscar mayer has some light beef franks that have only 90 calories. wonder bread makes whole wheat hot dog and hamburger buns that have 80 calories per bun. smart balance makes a low sugar peanut butter that's 100 calories per table spoon. i only put 1 teaspoon of it on my 45 calorie sara lee. if you like baked apples or sweet potatos you can wrap them in foil and just toss them in the fire. bring along some cinnamon or allspice to sprinkle on when they are finished cooking. it generally takes about a half hour to an hour to bake them. you don't need sugar on them. they are yum. Trail mix, bottled water and dehydrated or freeze-dried foods weigh less than canned products. You can control the fat content in your trail mix by preparing your own blend at home using pretzels or whole-grain cereal, dried raisins, dried cranberries and almonds. Mozzarella cheese sticks and peanut-butter-and-banana sandwiches give you quick energy and protein. Dried soup or pasta mixes that can be reconstituted with fresh water provide portable, lightweight sources of nutrition. Some sporting-goods stores sell low-fat, freeze-dried meals that weigh little and slide easily into a backpack. One serving of a commercial brand of freeze-dried spaghetti with meat sauce has 270 calories, 7 g of fat, 39 g of carbohydrates and 14 g of protein.

If you spend your day hiking, backpacking or mountain biking, you'll need complex carbohydrates to fuel your activities. Low-fat sources of complex carbohydrates include whole-wheat or buckwheat flour, whole-grain bagels, oatmeal, reduced-fat granola and trail mix, canned beans, apples and bananas, carrots and cauliflower, dried fruit and nuts. Nuts and natural, nonhydrogenated peanut or almond butter also provide protein and plant-based fat. When you're making pancakes, omelets or other outdoor meals that call for eggs, remove one yolk to reduce fat and cholesterol

Eggs, nonfat milk or yogurt, mozzarella cheese, chicken, fresh or canned fish, lean hamburger or canned beans offer protein for your outdoor meals. With 239 calories, 12 g of protein, 54 g of complex carbohydrates and only 1 g of fat, one cup of plain or vegetarian baked beans meets your requirements for both protein and carbohydrates in a single serving, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, or USDA
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Thanks so much for the great suggestions!
    I'll be making a list to take grocery shopping with me.
    Loving that low calorie s'mores option too :)
  • Caperfae
    Options
    As for hot dogs, I'd prefer NOT to eat them because of the sodium and I cannot find whole wheat buns in this hick town either so I'll be packing other options for myself and letting my husband and daughter eat the wieners.
  • Ellastrong
    Ellastrong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a twist on how to enjoy smores. Instead of the chocolate and marshmellow. I have used Jell-o Mousse as a substitute. The mousse is only 60 cal per serving. What I do is spread the mousse on the graham cracker. It gives you a similar texture without the added calories.

60 cal - Jello Sugar Free Pudding - Mousse Temptations Dark Chocolate Decadence
    75 cal - Honey Maid - Graham Crackers- 1 Whole Cracker

This is GENIUS!!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hard boil some eggs before you go and pack them back into the carton to take with you. Canned tuna (or the type that comes in the foil pouches. Take a little container of mayo and you can make egg or tuna salad for either sandwiches or eating with crackers. I also like to eat it just with celery as a scoop (almost no carbs!).

Someone mentioned foil packets which are very easy to use on the grill. Put in your meat or fish and veggies and spices and place the foil packet on the grill. You can pre-mix the spices you'd want to use and take them in a marked plastic baggie.
  • Caperfae
    Options
    We probably won't be out in the boonies or anything and there will be a grocery store handy if we forgot or are craving anything so that's a bonus.
    My blood glucose levels are almost perfect here at home. I don't want to screw it up on a camping trip though.
    We may be able to run to the store to grab fresh fruit and salads throughout the weekend.
    Something to discuss with hubby when he gets home :)
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    every time i go camping i take portabella mushrooms.
    grill them up with some steak seasoning and melt some cheese - and BAM, you have portabella mushroom burgers.
    ah-may-zing :)
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bump