This mama needs motivation!

Options
Hey all!

I'm back on the wagon yet again and am so fed up with myself! I know how to eat healthy and lose weight but have had so much trouble since my second child was born. He's 8 months old and sleeping pretty well now, but I'm still tired. And when I'm tired I have zero willpower. How do the other tired mamas keep from shoving food in their faces?

I'm also trying to figure out about how many calories I should be eating. I'm nursing, but my son eats three small solids meals a day. I need a good benchmark to get enough calories and still lose a pound or so a week.

Replies

• augcog
    augcog Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Let me know if you need support!
  • lucylo95
    lucylo95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same position as you hun. It's a nightmare. I work full time and have a little boy. When I finally get in from work and sorting my son, I'm usually exhausted and turn to ready made meals etc. My son is two in January and I still haven't lost all my baby weight. Absolutely no motivation! ): are you working out at all? How much weight are you wanting to loose? (:
  • sarahsweetheart08
    sarahsweetheart08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey im in the same boat as ya. I just started working out again two weeks ago. After I had my son 4 years ago i lost 35 pounds by walking, eating right, and doing various jillian michaels dvds. Even though i dislike her, i swear by her videos. add me if youd like a fellow momma trying to lose some weight.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just a little help here:
    1. Listen to your appetite.
    “If you want to eat spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, have it!” “Don’t find the low-carb version with the fat-free sauce. If you actually eat what you want, you’ll likely end up eating a more reasonable amount of it.” Eating in tune with your hunger is a principle of intuitive eating, and it’s shown to have a positive effect on both your weight and your well being.

2. Enjoy treats from time to time.
    Research shows (and experts agree) that sprinkling reasonably sized desserts or treats into your daily diet encourages you to find pleasure in meal time again—and that pleasure will help ensure you don’t feel the need to go overboard.

So instead of confining your treats to one single day, drop them into places throughout the week. For example, enjoy: “a cookie or a few pieces of chocolate after dinner on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays,” Rogers says.

3. Savor every bite.
    Once you place any item of food into your mouth, take a moment to: “taste, smell, and experience it as a whole,” Rogers says. “When you take the time to be mindful about what you’re eating, you tap into your satiety cues.”

The Takeaway

Forget about designating a cheat day to reward yourself. Denying yourself most of the week and then indulging like crazy on your one day “off,” just promotes guilt, anxiety, and shame around eating—which means you won’t likely get to the health outcome you’re looking for. Instead, make every day a great day by listening to your appetite, periodically adding in some of your favorite foods in small portions, and savoring each and every bite of everything you eat. This sustainable approach will help you think of all of your eating as enjoyable, and that’s what gets you down the road to where you want to be.