Lost the weight! Dont really know much about lifting.

Options
The past eight months I've successfully dieted and lost the weight I wanted to but now I'm kind of skinny fat and I really want to start gaining some muscle. Only I don't really know where to start or what to do. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Something I can do at home would be nice. I eventually really want to get in the gym and lift some real weight but I have no family or friends who care about it and have no idea what to do or anything about proper form if I were to go alone. Any good websites or programs or any form of help would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I'm on mobile so I can't link but on the Gaining Weight section, there is a post called 'Which lifting program is right for you?' that has a list of programs with various goals/requirements.

If you're at home, maybe look into a bodyweight program so there's no equipment involved.

You can also look into doing a recomp where you would eat your maintenance calories and do the lifting programs to reshape your body.
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is a great site.
  • mikepicher
    mikepicher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How about a local Crossfit gym? They typically have an on-ramp program to get you familiar with the terms and the lifts. Great communities form around the gym to help keep you motivated. I'm about a year and a half in and love it.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Lifting is very simple. You just pick things up and put them down again.

But... your form needs to be correct. I started by using youtube video's to teach me forms. I googled exercises for the muscles I wanted to work on and then youtubed the exercise.

I do recommend joining a CrossFit gym though. I've been lifting since May this ear and just joined a CrossFit gym and I love it there. They really care about what you're doing and they help you nail the form down.