Plant Based.... mostly

Options
Hey fitness pals. I am considering switching to a primarily plant based diet. Is there anyone other there that is interested in doing this along with me. Or if there is anyone that eats like this that wants to add me I could use the help and would probably stalk your food diary. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be a diet based on plants and animal products, aka an ordinary, omnivorous, diet?
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be a diet based on plants and animal products, aka an ordinary, omnivorous, diet?

No, alot of people have a meat-based diet
  • kommodevaran
    Options

People, as in humans? Only meat? :o
    (I think you are joking :) )
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I said based, not exclusive lol I don't know how many posts I see where people eat chicken all day. Gross.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

I said based, not exclusive lol I don't know how many posts I see where people eat chicken all day. Gross.

Aha. I too get a bit nauseous with all the chicken. I think there's a misconception that chicken is "the healthy meat", so let's base our intake (or protein intake) on chicken, and nothing but chicken.

I used to think "plant based" meant "mostly plants" (that's what it "sounds like"), but I learnt - in here, actually - that it means "vegan, sans ethics". Following this usage, "meat based" would be "exclusively meat". I don't think anyone can live (for very long, and be healthy) without any plant food.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    snerggly wrote: »
    I am a whole foods plant based eater following the McDougall and Forks over Knives way of eating, add me if you want support. I have been eating this way for five months for health reasons first and then other reasons as I do discovery. I am feeling a lot better and while I wasn't on MFP for a bit, I have lost a total of 15 lbs. I have another 10 to go but I am more committed do keeping with this life style. My doctor is quite pleased with my progress!

Best wishes to you!

While I am glad you found a way of eating that helps you, the documentary (and I use that term lightly) is one sided propaganda filled with fake science.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I eat a plant-based diet and am transitioning to being completely vegan, and it has positively impacted my life tremendously! I feel great and have more energy to work out, helping me lose weight. I added you; feel free to message me anytime!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    MrsRadder wrote: »
    Hey fitness pals. I am considering switching to a primarily plant based diet. Is there anyone other there that is interested in doing this along with me. Or if there is anyone that eats like this that wants to add me I could use the help and would probably stalk your food diary. Thanks in advance for your help!

Apparently there is a name for this...flexitarian...who knew? Anyway, I eat ovo-lacto vegetarian 3-4 days per week...usually "meat" days consist of having wild caught fish with dinner...I usually do a chicken dish on the weekend (I prefer boneless, skinless thighs to boring breasts)...I eat beef a couple times per month.

We do this largely because my wife and I were eating meat like 3-4 times per day and over the years we have become a bit more concerned with sourcing so things started getting really expensive...it was largely that as well as I have gout and started having more flare ups eating all that meat.

I hope you are not afraid of carbs...
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I switched to a plant-based diet last year for the health benefits, not ethics. 95% of my calories are from plant foods. I'm done losing weight (39 lbs) and now in maintenance at 113 lbs. My diary is useless as I don't log, but my staples are - oatmeal, rice, breads, potatoes, all kinds of beans, lentils, tofu, fruits, veggies, sugar, some nuts and seeds. I minimize added oils.
  • TaraFIT03
    TaraFIT03 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me :) I would love more vegetarian/vegan MFP friends! I am vegetarian or I guess mostly vegan. I don't (or try not to)eat dairy and eggs. I eat lentils, seitan, beans, veggies, fruits...you know all the yummy stuff!
  • maxam123
    maxam123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    January 2015 I stopped eating all sugary foods and more then 90% of man made process foods and I'm so happy. I will never go back to that lifestyle because I lost weight and was able to get off 13-prescribe meds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    maxam123 wrote: »
    January 2015 I stopped eating all sugary foods and more then 90% of man made process foods and I'm so happy. I will never go back to that lifestyle because I lost weight and was able to get off 13-prescribe meds.

That's awesome...but what does that have to do with eating a plant based diet?
  • marieSuzx
    marieSuzx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan powerlifter. Ask me anything!

I'm a vegan and considering lifting .. Help please on gow and what to eat ??
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    marieSuzx wrote: »

I'm a vegan and considering lifting .. Help please on gow and what to eat ??

As for food I prioritize beans and legumes. Beans peas and lentils are packed with protien and carbs. Wonderful workout food. And Hella cheap so good for broke students.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm vegan, I'll add you :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I don't know how you do it, but when I go strictly plant based I pretty much forget about even trying to make protein goal for a while. 2/3 of my daily calories today are already gone and I'm barely at 16 grams of protein. I'm not worrying because it's temporary, but props to you for putting such effort into your macro planning.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I am looking to shift to more plant based so I am following this thread...