Eating vs drinking calories

Options
I've seen people say not to drink your calories when you're trying to gain weight and im wondering whether that's true or not.. I tend to make smoothies, shakes, get odwallas for lots of calories, will this not help me gain weight as much as if I stick to soilds?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. A calorie is a calorie.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There's the idea that drinking smoothies and juices spikes up your sugar levels. I don't know whether that's true or not, but if you're looking to just gain weight, then it does not make a difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've seen people say not to drink your calories when you're trying to gain weight and im wondering whether that's true or not.. I tend to make smoothies, shakes, get odwallas for lots of calories, will this not help me gain weight as much as if I stick to soilds?

Actually, it's usually don't drink your calories when you're trying to lose weight...this is due to being calorie restricted and drinking your calories isn't generally very satiating...so when you're cutting, most people find eating their calories to be more satisfying...

In the end, it doesn't really matter...a calorie from eating isn't any different than a calorie from drinking.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would say that about being on a cut, not a bulk.
  • aaron_kollmeyer
    aaron_kollmeyer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Liquids are usually more processed with terrible sugars from concentrates and have little to no fiber + 90% water. Whole foods have range of nutrients and fiber that are digested slower rather than a simple juice that spikes your insulin and crashes you later
  • aaron_kollmeyer
    aaron_kollmeyer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not every calorie is created equal. Really focus on the quality of the nutrient
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Liquids are usually more processed with terrible sugars from concentrates and have little to no fiber + 90% water. Whole foods have range of nutrients and fiber that are digested slower rather than a simple juice that spikes your insulin and crashes you later

So all liquids are juices and all whole foods are high in fiber?
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many calories you are trying to cram into your day and what type of calories they are. Be careful of all the sugars that liquids sometimes contain. Also the sodium of a lot of the canned veggie juices. You can make your own.
  • Pot8540
    Pot8540 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use lots of protein powders and "instant breakfasts" because I have next to no appetite. This gets the calories and nutrients I need in me without making me full.

I think the idea of this urban myth is that you shouldn't drink your calories right before working out. Liquid calories digest quicker and thus if you were doing strenuous activity would not stay in your system as long as more complex foods.
  • mocha204
    mocha204 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Drinking cals especially if you are having issues with satiety can help get those cals in at the end of the day. Juice, chocolate milk, whole milk, coconut water. It definitely helped me last bulk when I was at 3300 cals and struggling to stay in surplus!