How many hours should I wait before I can eat after working out?

Options
Please leave your answers below. Thank you. :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have a shower first then eat whenever you want to.

Why do you think it matters?
    What are you hoping to achieve by waiting?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I've ever waited even a single hour after working out. Is there a specific concern or issue you're having?
  • Grathiael
    Grathiael Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who have responded. I have read all of your replies and will put them into consideration. Thank you. :)
  • UrbanFarmerCoco
    UrbanFarmerCoco Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink a protein shake within an hour of working out. I've read you should eat within that one hour period. I forget the reasoning to be brutally honest, but I think it has to do with your body wanting a) protein for muscle repair and b) fuel in general and within that hour the body is in game 7 mode for absorbing/metabolizing.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    None. Many. Some. Few.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    It is really up to your personal preference. The post workout anabolic window (really only for heavy lifters) is far larger than that 1 hour that is usually spouted. Just find what works for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    From a snack in 15 min if good hard workout and doing more tomorrow, to several hours if everything went wrong with my schedule afterwards and I couldn't eat.

If I wait too long I can get unhungry again, and very tired (gee, I wonder why!). But I'd rather get a benefit from the workout, so food and nutrients and protein and calories are needed.

Workout if done right tears the body down.
    It's the rest for recovery and repair that builds it back up - if diet allows.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a protein drink as well. I'm typically not hungry after working out and it leads to skipping a meal. The protein drink assures me that I'm refueling.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to get myself through my workout by reminding myself that I get to eat when I'm done so for me, about as long as it takes me to drive home. :wink:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I plan my workouts so that I can eat pretty soon afterwards, usually -- could be lunch, breakfast, or dinner. Occasionally I don't eat for a while, also, though, as when I used to do CF in the morning but after breakfast/before work and didn't eat 'til lunch. I doubt it matters but in the off-chance it does have a minor benefit to recovery/muscle building to get carbs and protein before too terribly long I like the eating a meal after schedule. Only because it fits my schedule anyway, though, and I don't rush it--for example, it may be an hour or even two before I manage to cook dinner after an evening workout, especially if I also have to commute home.

Never heard of having to wait, although some aren't hungry after so then I would plan around that.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    tl:dr? Whatever floats your boat. :)
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    After my workout, I shower and then eat something within an hour. Not sure if it matters but that extra fuel always helps me feel good post-workout
  • linzeymichael
    linzeymichael Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You should eat in the first hour of finishing your work out
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hours? I've got food in my mouth before the bar has touched the ground on my last set.
  • taniabeth78
    taniabeth78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bring a larabar or a Luna bar with me to the gym to eat after I'm done
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I wait at least an hr or 2 after eating b4 working out but eat immediately after working out w/o waiting.
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink a protein shake within an hour of working out. I've read you should eat within that one hour period. I forget the reasoning to be brutally honest, but I think it has to do with your body wanting a) protein for muscle repair and b) fuel in general and within that hour the body is in game 7 mode for absorbing/metabolizing.

^yes that's it. I take my protein shake & a liter of water to the gym. Drink it asap.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I eat ASAP to replenish glucose burned during workout. Makes no other difference.