Game Console Exercise??

Options
Hi Everyone,

Do any of you use and games consoles for exercise such as with Wii Fit or Kinect for the Xbox?

If so do you find that they actually help you to lose weight?

Again if so what would you reccomend? As I'm considering investing in one instead of paying out another years membership at the gym, as its nearly £300!

I look forward to your replies!

Roo

Replies

• Horuke
    Horuke Posts: 11
    Options
    I use the Kinect fitness games

I've tried Dance Central, Zumba Fitness, and UFC personal trainer. The first two I traded in, the third I still have.

Dance Central was decent; it had a good tutorial that fully explained the movements, during game play it also had a list of upcoming movements and the dance moves were fun and the game clearly showed you what parts you were doing wrong and had a calorie counter but the music was all most entirely rap and hip-hop which I personally cannot stand, but if you like that kind of music it's a good choice.

Zumba Fitness was horrible, the music was terrible but again if you like latin music you won't mind then, and the tutorial was not helpful at all; it started you off slow with simple foot work, built on that a little bit, then jumped you straight into very complicated movements at full tempo. The game also didn't do a very good job of showing you which parts of the movements you were doing wrong. Might be good if you already know the movements.

UFC personal trainer is pretty good; it has a work out calendar with 30 or 60 day programs for strength, endurance, or weight loss. Focus mitt mini games, speed bag and heavy bag simulations, 15-30 minute quick work out routines and a build your own routine option. It gives you a traditional workout but I find it very effective. After working out for a month at the gym with running and weights I was surprised how sore I felt after my first 30 minute session. Though I had noticed some bugs, the game losses me sometimes on the floor exercises and sometimes doesn't count what I'm doing. Hopefully they can patch that. Out of all the workout games I've tried I like this one the best. Between this game and MFP I've lost 12 in 3 weeks
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have a playstation 3 and there are loads of fitness 'games' you can get and they are fun and also can be hard working.

This is just me though; I do prefer my gym membership for working out as I find I work harder in a class or in an environment where everyone is pushing themselves.

I use my playstation for my 'rest' days for a little exercise but nothing too intense as I tend to 'play' around on it rather than really working hard. This is probably just my approach to it though as I know many people that swear by wii fii etc.... :smile: Vx
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have both the Wii and the Kinects.... I have 5 workout programs on the Wii and I use Dance Central for my Cardio on the Kinects... but I use it in combination with my gym membership.
    Wii
    Cardio Workout, Cardio Dance Workout, Zumba and Just Dance 1 and 2

Kinects
    Dance Central if you love to dance
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a kinect which was bought with the ex's nephews in mind, they loved it.

As an exercise tool its just collecting dust on the tv, needs far too much room!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have used EA Sports Active on the Wii and the PS3. i like the newest version the best, which is EA Sports Active 2, for the PS3 (it is also on the Wii). It has a leg sensor and arm bands that measure your movement and heart rate. You don't need that movement detecting system that is sold separately. The Wii version has only one arm band and you have to hold a controller in the other. The exercises are good, and I did it for 9 weeks or so before joining a new local gym. The gym is largely for the pool, weight room, and classes, but the console exercise programs definitely work well.

I have heard that the tutorial on the Wii Zumba game is terrible, and gets much too hard too quickly. The actual game only progresses when it thinks you are ready. Many people like it, but I haven't tried it yet. My gym has Zumba, so I go to that.
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I have a Red Octane DDR mat and DDR Super Nova for my PS2... I actually have another version of DDR for my xbox but don't like it as much! It gets me moving and is really fun (and you feel like a pro when you start getting good at it) <3
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've used Wii since I first started this diet in Jan, as I was to embarrassed to go to the gym or classes. I have tried many titles, but EA Sports Active is the best by far - especially the latest one (EASA 2). I also have Zumba which is OK if you like Zumba !!

I have started to go to classes as well now though since I lost weight (49 lbs so far, 1.5 lb to go). But on a "pay as you go" basis.

I would certainly recommend console based exercising, if you have the motivation to do it. But I suppose that's the same as making yourself go to the gym ...... ! :bigsmile:
  • beckywilkeherbst
    beckywilkeherbst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I use the Wi iFit Plus Free Step while my kids are napping so I can excercise and watch TV at the same time. I have only been doing this a week so I am not sure if it works or not but my theory is that some movement is better than no movement and I get the best of both worlds with getting to watch tv while I am doing it instead of sitting on my behind.
    I also have the Jillian Michaels Fitness Challenge and Zumba. I hate Zumba, much to difficult for just a beginner, even the beginner settings and the graphics are horrible and as another poster said, they dont tell you what your doing wrong so you can fix it. Jillian Micahels is great but I think it's much more intense than I want to be at right now, maybe after 10 more pounds I will feel the energy that it takes to stay committed to it.
    Best of luck!