Alli

Options
Is/Has anyone used/using Alli? Does it work? I thought I'd try it to kick start my weight loss- any input appreciated thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Haven't tried it but it's a pill and pills seem to never provide good results. My suggestion, if you really want to kickstart weight lose, look into spending your money on a workout program like p90x, chalean extreme, turbo fire or jillian michaels 30 day shred. That will work better than any pill.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know people who have tried it and had some good results, however they didn't last long after they stopped using it, and had a harder time losing the weight without the pills. The best way to lose weight is to go the slow and steady route with exercise and a good diet.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Tried it and the side effects were less than desirable.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's crap, I had better results the old fashioned way.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I tried it about a year ago and ohh my the side effects no thank you.... All natural way to go!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    well yeah, it's a 'given' that I have to work out more strenuously, since I didn't at all. However, i am going to have to work up to jillian michaels- i'm not there yet
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

This, so very much this!!!
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I was on it in the beginning of my journey last year and it did help. One thing you have to be careful of is if you do consume anything fatty or "bad for you" bc you will pay for it when you go to the bathroom! I don't know if that is what jumpstarted my weightloss though bc I went on a strict diet at the same time. I only used it for a month or two. Exercise and a lifestyle change in the food department is where real results come from.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options

DITTO!!! Accidents are not cool.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

yup

Alli + sneezing = time to go home, NOW!!!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options

yup

Alli + sneezing = time to go home, NOW!!!

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: Yep!
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i heard the same thing from a friend....the side affects are no bueno
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have used it before and I am actually using it again. I believe that, as long as you're changing your eating and exercise habits, this can be a good tool to help you. I did not take this to help me lose extra weight, I took this as an incentive to stay away from fatty foods which happen to be my downfall. Really, what better incentive is there to keep you away from fatty foods than the idea that you might crap your pants if you don't? I have not had adverse treatment effects, but I also watched my fat intake like crazy. I used it the first time for 30 days, and I am only planning on using it for a short time again. This is not a magic pill as some people have called it. I think of it more as conditioning to help get rid of an undesirable behavior (fat consumption). If you don't have a problem with overindulging in fatty foods, then this probably won't help you at all. Anyway, whether you choose to use it or not, I thought I would give you an opinion from someone who has actually tried it. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    thanks - I am also using it as a 'tool' I am tracking my fat intake on here as well, so far, NO 'side effects'. That is my goal, to eat healthier- less fat/processed for life. And I only plan to use the alli for a month
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I had a friend whom used it and it helped in her weight loss. However your diet has to be very healthy and you have to watch your fat intake other wise your butt will leak:noway: . Seriously...leak! :sick:
  • duvaroo
    duvaroo Posts: 18
    Options
    the "oily anal leakage" side effect turned me off.

Thanks, but no thanks
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wanted to add two more comments..

If anal leakage is common, then it can't be good..

Second, fats are essential for a body. So limiting will prevent things from functioning correctly.

So is it really worth it, especially considering people gain weight back immediately after they get off the pills?
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Read about the side effects for Alli and NO THANKS... I take Proactol after a meal I may feel a little guilty about eating. I've been using it for about 2 months and so far haven't experienced any side effects at all.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Alli is no ally. If you're going to use it, start exercising your clench muscles now.
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    I've never tried diet pills, so I can't speak from experience, but IMO if there was a magic pill that helped people lose weight, then there would be a lot less overweight people in the world.

From what I understand, Alli is supposed to help a person lose 1-2 pounds a week? Using MFP should help achieve the same results so I don't really see the point in Alli/other diet pills. I've also heard of some rather unpleasant side effects.

Hard work and determination will get you to your goal weight. There is no quick fix that will help you keep the weight off long term. I wouldn't do anything to lose weight that I wasn't willing/able to do the rest of my life. Are you willing to take a diet pull the rest of your life to keep the weight off?