Do I NEED to add weights?

Options
Hi all! I have a week workout plan that consists of M,W,F cardio (mostly jogging/brisk walking for 30-45 minutes) and on Tuesday and Thursday I have a workout that consists of many different exercises (squats, lunges, pushups, etc.) I feel like I get a pretty good workout, but I am not sure if I need to add weights or not, or if what I am currently doing is sufficient.

Replies

• cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    If you are REALLY feeling the "burn" when you do your resistance training (squats, lunges, etc) then don't add weights - when you find you can get through the workout and not really feel it - add some more resistance...

You definitely want to push your body, but you never want to push it too far because you can damage something right? (I totally know you knew that ha ha) - but you'll probably be the best judge of how it feels!

Great workout plan that you are doing - very nice and proud of you!@!!
  • Mimigurken
    Mimigurken Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love weights. It will make your cardio efforts look even better.
  • swimmamum
    swimmamum Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think what you're doing is great! Way to go!

I started a kettlebell class that I do 3 times a week, as well as regularly walking and running 5-6 times per week.

I incorporated the weight training because I read a lot of literature on how important it is for women to include strength training into their daily regime. Especially after 40.

Check out the livestring website. My favourite (next to this one) for support and information. This is an article about weightlifting for women over 40.

Good Luck!!!!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/230713-beginning-weight-lifting-programs-for-women-over-40/
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/276660-i-do-dvds-so-i-don-t-need-to-strength-train

I read this this morning....intersting perspective.

I also love working with weights!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have a week workout plan that consists of M,W,F cardio (mostly jogging/brisk walking for 30-45 minutes) and on Tuesday and Thursday I have a workout that consists of many different exercises (squats, lunges, pushups, etc.) I feel like I get a pretty good workout, but I am not sure if I need to add weights or not, or if what I am currently doing is sufficient.

YES YES YES you need to add resistance. There is something called the priciple of progression. It's based on the idea that you have to constantly give your body new levels of stress to stimulate a reaction in the body. There are 3 main ways to do this; adding more resistance ("I did bodyweight squats last week, so this week I'm going to hold a 5lb dumbell in each hand."), adding more reps ("I did 5 sets of 10 pushups last week, so this week I'll do 5 sets of 12.") or doing the same number of sets and reps in less time ("I did 5 sets of 10 last week with 90 seconds rest between each set, so this week I'll do that same thing with 60 seconds rest.").

Using progression is the ONLY way to get stronger. If all you want to do is burn calories, then do whatever you want to do, but if you want the benefits of resistance exercise, you must constantly push your body just a little harder.

If you want to continue using bodyweight exercises (which are great), then add resistance when you can, or do more reps with something like pushups. 1 more rep than last week, 1 more lb., just always move forward in some way.
  • annajade24
    annajade24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your tips! My muscles do get sore (or tired, really) when I do my workout, but I don't really feel the "burn". Not even a day or two later.
  • annajade24
    annajade24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that is very helpful! I will add some weight for today's workout. I can't WAIT to get past this awful plateau!