NJ Police Academy prep

Options
TeamJenn
TeamJenn Posts: 21 Member
edited November 2016 in Chit-Chat
Any advice? I'm trying to start preparing myself for the academy that I'll be joining in February.. the running and push ups have been a problem.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,835 Member
    Options
    Get it Girl!!!! :smiley:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Don't know about NJ but in CA, among other things, you had to be able to scale two 6ft fences - one chain link and one wood.

Women often had trouble w/the wood one. Didn't have enough vertical leap height and upper body strength to get a leg over the top and pull themselves over. Often ended up failing by hanging from the top trying to pull themselves over just w/their arms; something most men would probably fail doing too.

There's a techique to doing it w/o using brute strength. You run towards the wall, leap as high as you can, then grasp the top of the wall w/your hands as you plant one foot against the wall and push yourself up w/your arms & shoulders while thowing the other leg over the top. Once you get a leg over the top, it's usually easy to finish the move by throwing the other leg over and dropping down the other side.

If NJ requires this, it's something you should practice if you've never done it b4.

There was also a 200# dummy drag in the academy that women had problems with; doing a 200# sled pull would simulate it.

Good luck!

• TeamJenn
    TeamJenn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you i appreciate it. I will definitely look into that!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Talk to a trainer at the academy - these typically have a guide on preparing for the physical demands of academy life.

Here's a link to the US Navy Special Warfare Physical Training Guide:
    http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-swcc-naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.html

It has a standard strength endurance build up, so scale this to your needs.

Congratulations on your desire to serve and protect! I look forward to hearing of your success.
  • jennybenny399
    jennybenny399 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We have similar testing for the police here in New Zealand. The wire/chain link wall is easy enough to get over but as mentioned above the wooden wall tends to test most females as our upper body strength isn't the same as the guys!

The majority of females 'walk up' the wall. So basically run to the wall, both hands on top, lean back, tuck your butt in close to the wall and walk up the wall. Once close enough swing one leg over and pull your body up and swing over the other side. Hope that makes sense!

Do as much explosive fitness stuff that you can now and work on your upper body strength. All the best!
  • bdenn73
    bdenn73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To help with push-ups try this, your first week try doing 5 push-ups every hour. Then second week move up to 6 push-ups every hour and so on.

For running try 40 meter sprints: do three rounds of 5 minutes. Your first two rounds try sprinting 40 meters under 30 secs. Whatever you finish the sprint in is your rest period. Your rest period is two minutes between rounds. That very last round you have 20 seconds to finish your 40 meter sprint in. It shouldn't allow much rest time, but you will drop minutes off of your run time.

Good luck and hope this helps.