Personal Trainers, worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A good trainer is worth every penny. A lot of times I think far more people would benefit from a good trainer than are going to admit it.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I don't want or need someone standing around talking to me, telling me what to do, or trying to motivate me when I work out. I prefer to be left alone to do my thing. Others are different. From what I observe at the gym, most of those people with trainers would be better off ditching the trainer and picking up some heavy weights.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I think for me having someone there to tell me "Oh you're not done yet" when ever I want to quit would be helpful. I don't know, maybe I just need to get my mind right.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I don't want or need someone standing around talking to me, telling me what to do, or trying to motivate me when I work out. I prefer to be left alone to do my thing. Others are different. From what I observe at the gym, most of those people with trainers would be better off ditching the trainer and picking up some heavy weights.

So much this.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I started using her last year when I wanted to learn to lift heavy and was also intimidated by going into that section of the gym. My trainer is 5 feet tall and watching her roam through the weight section like she owned it helped me realize I belonged there. I learned a lot from her on the lifts and proper form. I stopped and did my own thing. A few months ago I went back to her to more core focused work (yes, I know you can't spot reduce, just wanted more ideas to give that area some extra attention). We're doing that and she's also helping me with my other goal to eventually do an unassisted pullup. I'm going to keep using her for a while this time. I think it's a matter of finding someone you like, and who listens. I'm not getting the same workout she does with the person who has the appt before or after me. She's helping me do what's best for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends on you
    Depends on them

My 6 week stint at finally trying to get a little bit fit so that i could feel a bit easier in my body and be able to catch my breath has turned into a 3 year PT commitment with no sign of abating

Has it cost a lot of money? Yes but not money I need elsewhere and to me personally it's been worth it ten times over.

But then again maybe I have a slight kink for being pushed to my limits, made to groan with effort and sometimes ache for days afterwards and yet still go back

But the things I can do now ..and the ease I feel in my strength and movement is priceless

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I think for me having someone there to tell me "Oh you're not done yet" when ever I want to quit would be helpful. I don't know, maybe I just need to get my mind right.

LOL

Mine tells me to just give up

Cos he knows that means I never will
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Not for me.

I'm too independent and self-directed. I can find the answer to any question on the Net. Don't need anyone to motivate me either.

Have all the gym equipment that I need in my house. Waste of time & money to go to a gym to meet a trainer especially since I workout at all hrs, like I am now at midnight.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is a personal choice and a financial choice. I find paying for a personal trainer is worth if for a few sessions so they can design a routine to meet goals. If you live in the U.S. Planet Fitness is offers free training.. love it.. this is where I go right now.

However, In the past I have paid for a trainer for three weekly workouts... and it worked.. but I got tired of having to talk to the trainer and each and every time I worked out. I like working out independently and listening to music when at the gym.

• jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First be warned that not all PTs are the same. I've had three trainers total. My first provided a nice reentry to the gym but once I got into the routine, I didn't find her sessions challenging and didn't see any results.

My second PT was absolutely fantastic. She taught me so many new exercises, the correct form for every move, and pushed me harder than I would have EVER pushed myself. She gave me the confidence and knowledge to go to the gym on my own and build my own routines. I worked with her 3 days a week for four months and established a foundation I still build upon today.

My last trainer was not so great. I was in very good shape when I hired him but actually felt worse off after a month of sessions. His focus did not match mine and thanks to the knowledge I had from the previous trainer, I knew to save my money and end that contract.

Even though 2 out of 3 were duds, I still think hiring PTs was one of the best things I ever did for myself.
  • c_water19
    c_water19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @rainbowbow

I would love to read the whole article!!! I am in the search for a quality pt in my town, whiiiiiiiich has proved to be quite difficult.
  • saFit247
    saFit247 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I really do better with a specific routine and actually being told what to do (exercise wise). In your opinion....is getting a personal trainer worth the money?

Yes , it defenitely helps atleast for the first 3 months till you get your form & routines right, after that you can do your own routines. It helped me 100% as my instructor corrected my form & helped me on diet , now I can make my own routines as I know how my body reacts to different exercises. So go for it till you are comfortable to do on your own :)