Help, can you see if my calories are right and exercise level? I won't lose :(

Options
5'7 @ 147lbs / Sedentary - Office sit down job / single mom of toddler.

I have my calories set to 1270 calories
I do the 22 minute hard corps by tony horton where I burn between (140-170k with HRM). I eat those exercise calories back. I weigh and measure the majority of my food, except odd times I go to my parents to eat but I don't over-eat there.
Macros 45% carb - 30%protien-25%fat ( i tried 40-30-30 but i felt like i was getting tired)

I've been in a vicious cycle since January of this year, where I'd start a program and follow it to a T for 4-6 weeks about and then the scale wouldn't move and I'd wind up getting tired and just stop for about 3-4 weeks until I mustered up motivation again to try again. Then try again with another program. Etc. Earlier this year I had my net calories set to higher, 1390k and eating back half my exercise calories... so I was netting about 1450-1500 calories and still wasn't losing weight.

I can't seem to find my sweet spot! I turned 30 this year.. is this some sick joke about hitting 30 and your metabolism really going out the window? ha

I also take measurements to, I lose a 1cm-1.5cm around the midsection but that's mostly just from eating healthy and the bloat goes away. My other measurements won't budge.
Tried 21 day fix earlier this year and shaun t focus t25. And Jillian michaels 30 day shred>
I've stacked on 15 pounds since last summer and my wonderful clothes don't fit no more :(

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I would open your diary so we can take a deeper look.

But without that, I would possibly start with your intake. You say you weigh and measure. I know this can be a repetitive question, but what does that mean in your case? Are you truthfully weighing every solid, or are there times you use measuring cups instead of weighing?

Also, are you eating all your exercise calories back now? You say you only ate half before, and it's still suggested to only eat 50-80% due to inflation, and sometimes HRM are no exception.

ETA: I also want to point out that getting yourself out of this cycle is important. If you start, don't stop. Water weight can stick around for a few weeks with a new program, and it doesn't seem like you're giving anything a chance in the long term.

• jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing the same fact workout since January, it makes sense if you've hit a plateau. Your body eventually adjusts to excercise and prevents further weight loss. Try changing up your routine
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I would open your diary so we can take a deeper look.

But without that, I would possibly start with your intake. You say you weigh and measure. I know this can be a repetitive question, but what does that mean in your case? Are you truthfully weighing every solid, or are there times you use measuring cups instead of weighing?

Also, are you eating all your exercise calories back now? You say you only ate half before, and it's still suggested to only eat 50-80% due to inflation, and sometimes HRM are no exception.

ETA: I also want to point out that getting yourself out of this cycle is important. If you start, don't stop. Water weight can stick around for a few weeks with a new program, and it doesn't seem like you're giving anything a chance in the long term.

Right now I am eating back my calories burned 'cause I'm famished come time to sleep. Too hungry to sleep so I eat either like a big helping of veggies or greek yogurt. I weigh all foods on my food scale, i only use measuring cups for liquids. I often make a big batch of food and freeze them in meals that are already portioned out so its just a grab and go thing. I don't eat any processed foods ever and I don't drink.

I just started this new program by tony horton and I'm actually loving it, so i don't want to change. But maybe I can throw in elliptical for 15 minutes, 3 days a week after the 22 min hard corps program? (And not even count those elliptical calories, call em ghost calories burned) I just don't want to burn myself out, I just recovered from one. Would really just like to hit the sweet spot for losing without having to make my life way more busier with extra workouts.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You do know that you are a "normal weight" right?

It is always harder to lose "vanity" weight opposed to an actual overweight person. It is going to take longer and require more effort. I would most definitely include weight/strength training into your routine NOT added cardio. This will help to re comp your physique. (AKA, leaner and stronger....putting all the right curves in the right places. :wink: ) I think this is actually what you are looking for unless you are "skinny fat". Which an actual measuring of your body fat% will be required to determine this.

I calculated your TDEE based upon the above information and 1200 calories is way low. The result for a moderate deficit (15%) looked to be more like 1800 calories, if you are indeed working out 3-5 times per week.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This seems off somehow. I'm also 5'7", female, but 50 (so 20 years older). I maintain around 2000 or a bit more. Mostly my exercise consists of a brisk walk of 30-45 minutes (2-3 miles) a day. It's the walk included, I tend to hit 10-12,000 steps a day.
    Maybe try adding a bit more overall movement to your day? Can you walk to a further bathroom or add in 10 minutes of walking at lunch? Good luck!
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 52 y/o female, and I started at 156 lbs back in September. Because I'm a sedentary office worker and an old lady now, I set my initial calorie goal at 1200. It was tough, but I wasn't exercising. I did increase it a few weeks later to about 1360 and started Couch to 5K. One thing I decided NOT to do was eat back my exercise calories. At least not while doing C25K as I don't think it's horrifically strenuous (even though I struggle). Anyway, I've managed to get down to about 143 now. My weight comes off in spurts. It's really weird. But I'm basically eating around an average of 1400 calories per day and it seems to be working for me.

You ain't seen nothing yet as it relates to metabolism slowdown so I don't think it's because you are 30. I am going to say it comes down to you food but honestly I don't see anything wrong in your diary.

It could also be that you are just very close to your ideal weight. I was around 5'7" and 135 lbs most of my 20s and 30s. After having kids, I was at 142 lbs. I also felt like I needed to lose those 10 lbs. I never have. And while no one would ever call me large, I do have a small frame and an lithe build, those extra pounds are not good on my frame and are nothing but fat. Not sure what type of frame and musculature you have on your 5'7" frame so maybe 147 is more of a normal weight. Is there a weight that you want to get to that you feel is best for you?
  • FemmeAndi
    FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments! :) Very encouraging! I wanted to send a little update.
    I did start adding an extra 6-7 minutes elliptical after the Tony Horton 22 Minutes hard corps (HRM said i was burning about 50-70 calories depending on how fast i`d pedal my legs lol and i can still fit it in to my lunch hour) These elliptical calories i don`t add in to my exercise calories burned on myfitnesspal so i'm not tempted to eat them back and I lost a pound over the last 10 days :smiley::) yay!!! Oh and I eat a little more carbs even though all these programs tell u to cut back on the carbs and eat more protein. But i think everyone runs on different things better, and I don`t seem to get hungry or agitated with a little more carbs. Besides, I eat healthy carbs like fruits n whole grain bread.

So I guess the trick was not to eat all the exercise calories back. And I`m not hungry at night either :smile: So that's awesome.

My ideal weight is to just fit back comfortably into my jeans. (Which is about 135) I had a bad year this past year (life sometimes is just not fair), I ate a lot of junk cause I was just miserable and I didn`t care anymore.
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I'm 5'7", 52 y/o female, and I started at 156 lbs back in September. Because I'm a sedentary office worker and an old lady now, I set my initial calorie goal at 1200. It was tough, but I wasn't exercising. I did increase it a few weeks later to about 1360 and started Couch to 5K. One thing I decided NOT to do was eat back my exercise calories. At least not while doing C25K as I don't think it's horrifically strenuous (even though I struggle). Anyway, I've managed to get down to about 143 now. My weight comes off in spurts. It's really weird. But I'm basically eating around an average of 1400 calories per day and it seems to be working for me.

You ain't seen nothing yet as it relates to metabolism slowdown so I don't think it's because you are 30. I am going to say it comes down to you food but honestly I don't see anything wrong in your diary.

It could also be that you are just very close to your ideal weight. I was around 5'7" and 135 lbs most of my 20s and 30s. After having kids, I was at 142 lbs. I also felt like I needed to lose those 10 lbs. I never have. And while no one would ever call me large, I do have a small frame and an lithe build, those extra pounds are not good on my frame and are nothing but fat. Not sure what type of frame and musculature you have on your 5'7" frame so maybe 147 is more of a normal weight. Is there a weight that you want to get to that you feel is best for you?

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you 'try' for a little while, give up and then repeat? The key might be more consistency. You won't always 'see' results in a short period of time due to the body's water fluctuations. Count calorie, eating the 1400-1500 (total that I gather you're eating after considering exercise) and stick to it. Give it at least 8-12 weeks time so you can see what trend is forming.