Newly single mama needs help!

Options
Hey everybody!
I'm new here, haven't worked out in a long time, since before my first child was born almost 3 years ago. I'm going through a messy break up right now, got cheated on and the dad hasn't even made any effort to see our girls. Anyways, I need to start focusing on myself and bettering myself for me and my girls! I want to be the best mom I can be for them so I need to set good examples. Any kind words of encouragement or success stories or just anyone who wants to talk feel free! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ashliecampbell
    ashliecampbell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that! I'm a single mom of 3 boys and it's usually pretty wild around my house lol. I've lost the weight before but my dads cancer came back and I took it really hard and gained like 70lbs in a years time. It's been 2 years since he passed away and I'm trying to do this again and it's harder this time.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!
    I'm new here, haven't worked out in a long time, since before my first child was born almost 3 years ago. I'm going through a messy break up right now, got cheated on and the dad hasn't even made any effort to see our girls. Anyways, I need to start focusing on myself and bettering myself for me and my girls! I want to be the best mom I can be for them so I need to set good examples. Any kind words of encouragement or success stories or just anyone who wants to talk feel free! Thanks in advance :)

I would start my walking and move on from there. You can take the girls with you on some of the walks. For me walking really helps to clear my head, gets rid of any anger and definitely is a great stress reliever. Get some music you like, plug in (make sure to be aware of your surroundings) and start walking.

One of my position in life is that if I ever had children, I would never force a man to be part of their lives, its too stressful. Do the best you can with them (never bash their dad). We as adults fail to realize that the children we refuse to support will be the adult children we want to claim as ours later in life.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Best start with healthy food choices and outdoor activities (if possible) all good for you and the children.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    1. Listen to your appetite.
    “If you want to eat spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, have it!” “Don’t find the low-carb version with the fat-free sauce. If you actually eat what you want, you’ll likely end up eating a more reasonable amount of it.” Eating in tune with your hunger is a principle of intuitive eating, and it’s shown to have a positive effect on both your weight and your well being.

2. Enjoy treats from time to time.
    Research shows (and experts agree) that sprinkling reasonably sized desserts or treats into your daily diet encourages you to find pleasure in meal time again—and that pleasure will help ensure you don’t feel the need to go overboard.

So instead of confining your treats to one single day, drop them into places throughout the week. For example, enjoy: “a cookie or a few pieces of chocolate after dinner on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays,” Rogers says.

3. Savor every bite.
    Once you place any item of food into your mouth, take a moment to: “taste, smell, and experience it as a whole,” Rogers says. “When you take the time to be mindful about what you’re eating, you tap into your satiety cues.”

The Takeaway

Forget about designating a cheat day to reward yourself. Denying yourself most of the week and then indulging like crazy on your one day “off,” just promotes guilt, anxiety, and shame around eating—which means you won’t likely get to the health outcome you’re looking for. Instead, make every day a great day by listening to your appetite, periodically adding in some of your favorite foods in small portions, and savoring each and every bite of everything you eat. This sustainable approach will help you think of all of your eating as enjoyable, and that’s what gets you down the road to where you want to be.