Need advice for half marathon!

Options
Hello MFPers,
I have decided to run my first half marathon in October. I was wondering what advice someone could give a first timer like me? I've looked at a lot of websites and gotten a training schedule but other than that I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this a great experience! Thanx!

Replies

• jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lrodriguez83
    lrodriguez83 Posts: 136
    Options
    Hope to see some responses on this, I am planning my first for November!
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm running my first half next month! so scared as i have only done 5k before!! I am training most days, either on the treadmill to gain stamina and learn speed, and on the road to get used to outside environment ready for the race. I would advise to try and go a little bit longer every few days and remember to stretch properly and train your leg muscles on weights and lunges so you don't damage your knees.

Good Luck!! :-)
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What's your running ability like now? I went from doing 10ks in April to a half in September, so I reckon it's dependent on what you're able to do now. The very, very basic rule of thumb is no more than an increase of a mile a week, but it also depends on whether you're aiming for a time in particular, or just want to finish.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Keys I learned the heard way:

1. Start out slow

2. Only goal to set is to finish

3. Smile and wave at people and encourage others along the way.

4. Have a great time and ice when you are done :laugh:
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi I came across this the other day and I think it is fabby

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

I am signed up for a half in nov, never ran more than half that so far and I am currently injured so it is gonna be a lot of hard work. Good luck to you and hope you find the thread useful, Debbie
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing a half marathon in October too, the Royal Parks Half Marathon in London. It has it's own great training plan for beginners here:
    http://royalparkshalf.com/files/files/uploads/RPFHM_16-Week_Beginner_Half_Marathon Programme 2011.pdf

I'm following it, but sometimes swap one of the midweek runs for something else.

I'm also walk/running the long weekend run using Jeff Galloway's walk/run ratios:

Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Believe it or not, it gets me round much faster than running alone!

Good luck and feel free to friend me if you want a virtual training buddy!
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you run races of other distances? If so, then you know what to do already; you'll just be doing it a little longer.

If you have never run a race before, then I would recommend you work a few 5Ks, 5 milers, 10Ks into your training schedule just so you have some experience w/what to eat beforehand so you don't have GI issues, arriving early enough, picking up your packet, and where to position yourself in the pack (I frequently see new runners start WAY too far forward--the fast folks go up front; slower ones start further back so we don't impede those behind us. Just common courtesy).

During the run, again, pay attention to what is around you. Don't stop or swerve suddenly, as you may get run down or tripped by another runner. It's good to have some idea what pace you will be able to sustain so you don't get caught up in the enthusiasm of the first mile or two and run way too fast in the early part, turning the remainder of the run into a death march (umm...don't ask how I know that...). If it's your first half, definitely pace yourself conservatively. That will go a long ways toward making it a great experience.

One last thing--if you are injured and miss a lot of training or if the weather on that day is very windy or hot, please be kind to yourself and adjust your goals accordingly. It's only a race, and hopefully you will do a lot more of them--no sense in killing yourself in this particular one. Every race you run contributes to your experience, so let it be a learning thing.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I first started training, I used to get blisters in the arches of my feet after a long run. I read that a polyester or blend (not 100% cotton) socks are best because cotton stretches out and causes rubbage. After getting some good socks, I no longer had this problem.

Also, take the long runs nice and slow. You are going for the distance, not the time. Take plenty of water during this time of year - go as early as possible - the heat really drains you. Don't forget the sunscreen!! :o)

Try to make sure you go to the bathroom before a long run. Not everyone has this problem, but I seem to always need a pit stop along the long runs. Running tends to "knock things loose"! :o)

Find a good nutrition plan...carbs are your friend! :o)

Follow your plan but you don't have to be militant about it. Relax and most of all...ENJOY the journey! :o)
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i haven't done a lot but after 9 i feel i've learnt a few things
    my thoughts are as follows...

1. rest...the week leading up to it...no long runs, try and stick to a few shorter / easier days
    better to show up fresh and rested..and the two nights leading up to try and get to bed at a slightly earlier hour

2. start in the right place...the very front of the pack is for the people who are likely going to win
    the back is for people who generally just want to finish ...often there will be pace bunnies holding signs
    if you are planning a 1.30 go stand near them...if you are thinking 3 hrs move further towards the back

3. don't get caught up at the start..when the wave takes off, know your pace and stick with it..its far to easy to go out too hard then crash ( or bonk ) along the way...

4. totally agree with the smile and thanking the volunteers at aid stations / police directing traffic...without them there would be no event....heck even high five the kids out there screaming and cheering if you feel like it, its a great energu boost

5. hydrate and fuel ...water or gatoraid...in my case i don't like gatoraid so i stick with water and gels..they are fantastic at giving you a boost / keeping your energy...just remember to take them before you start feeling low

6. no new gear / food on race day...stick with is tried and true

my last thought is not so much a do or not do but just a reminder...the training is the the hard part..the race is the day you celebrate everything you've done and how far you've come
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Train up to at least 10 miles.
    Bring energy gels or chews.
    Train on terrain similar to where you are running.
    Get to the starting line and try to align with your correct pace runners if it is a large race.
    If you have a time goal in mind bring a running watch to keep track of your mile times.
    Try to stay positive and only think about the current mile you are running try not to think about the remaining distance.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    i haven't done a lot but after 9 i feel i've learnt a few things
    my thoughts are as follows...

1. rest...the week leading up to it...no long runs, try and stick to a few shorter / easier days
    better to show up fresh and rested..and the two nights leading up to try and get to bed at a slightly earlier hour

2. start in the right place...the very front of the pack is for the people who are likely going to win
    the back is for people who generally just want to finish ...often there will be pace bunnies holding signs
    if you are planning a 1.30 go stand near them...if you are thinking 3 hrs move further towards the back

3. don't get caught up at the start..when the wave takes off, know your pace and stick with it..its far to easy to go out too hard then crash ( or bonk ) along the way...

4. totally agree with the smile and thanking the volunteers at aid stations / police directing traffic...without them there would be no event....heck even high five the kids out there screaming and cheering if you feel like it, its a great energu boost

5. hydrate and fuel ...water or gatoraid...in my case i don't like gatoraid so i stick with water and gels..they are fantastic at giving you a boost / keeping your energy...just remember to take them before you start feeling low

6. no new gear / food on race day...stick with is tried and true

my last thought is not so much a do or not do but just a reminder...the training is the the hard part..the race is the day you celebrate everything you've done and how far you've come

Great advice. I have run many, many races, including 25+ half marathons & 3 whole marathons AND I am still learning...Just take it slow & have fun! Congratulations in advance!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Keys I learned the heard way:

1. Start out slow

2. Only goal to set is to finish

3. Smile and wave at people and encourage others along the way.

4. Have a great time and ice when you are done :laugh:

Love this one.

I just ran my first half at the end of june. My goal was to run the whole way and finish and I did.

The highest mileage I did before my race was 10.45... and I planned a long run that day and rested the next day.

I also followed this training schedule (not from beginning but from midpoint on or so) just because my friend gave it to me while I was already training... http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

As a few have said, increase your mileage weekly, drink lots of fluids and keep hydrated for your long runs. You're training for the race, not racing to train.

Run outside, - if possible, the same terrain your race is going to be. I for one know and feel a difference from running outside to running on a tredmill. I prefer outside, even for speedwork.

Find a pace that works for you and stick with it. Don't shoot out from the gate and burn out. Save your energy and finish strong!Take advantage of the water stations. smile, high five people, have fun, encourage others and keep going. Enjoy the day of the race and take it for what it's worth! After all you are running a half marathon and should be proud of yourself.

hope that helps!