30% 30% 40%

Options
I need help! Ive been trying to gain muscle but I keep on losing weight which is not cool. I weigh 115 and my height is 5'3" my goal is to gain 3 pounds per week my calorie intake is 2,175 I work out around 4 times a week intense "boot camp" which has a mixture of weights . What should I do?! Do I increase my calories do I take more protien? Is it really 30 30 40 of consumption if you're trying to get gains?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I need help! Ive been trying to gain muscle but I keep on losing weight which is not cool. I weigh 115 and my height is 5'3" my goal is to gain 3 pounds per week my calorie intake is 2,175 I work out around 4 times a week intense "boot camp" which has a mixture of weights . What should I do?! Do I increase my calories do I take more protien? Is it really 30 30 40 of consumption if you're trying to get gains?

To actually gain 3 Lbs per week you would need to be in a 1500 calorie surplus per day which would be well over 2,175 calories. Also, gaining 3 Lbs per week is going to be mostly fat, not muscle...you should be shooting for more like 2-3 Lbs per month.

Also, a bootcamp style program is not optimal for building muscle...while it does involve some resistance training, it's largely cardiovascular...it's something I would consider doing in a cut perhaps, but not a bulk. You need to do a real, progressive lifting program to put on any meaningful muscle mass.
  • latinabarbie13
    latinabarbie13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So you're saying I could only gain 1 pound per week? What do you mean by 1500 surplus? Like adding it to 4000 calories ?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Meaning to gain 3lbs a week you would have to be eating a surplus of 1500 calories per day over your TDEE. Which is not ideal for anybody other than a sumo wrestler.

Like mentioned above, run a progressive lift program and you will gain muscle and strength. Eat something like 10% of your TDEE as a surplus and that is close to what you should eat.

A boot camp style class is designed to get you tired and gain endurance, not to gain muscle as a priority.
  • Coachjr29
    Coachjr29 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would increase volume in lifting as well. If you want to gain muscle you have to train for hypertrophy. 8-15 rep range of heavy weights.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to gain 3lbs per week? How much do you want to gain altogether?