breast cancer & losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OK so just wondering if any of my fellow BC Sisters are finding that the post treatment meds are recking havic on the weight loss. I have been so depressed this week because my weight went back up. I wasn't able to get to the gym and I wasn't motivated to exercise alone.

This past week was a bad week emotionally. For two day's I have played the crying game and I am on prozac and clenazapam. I also find I am having alot of headaches again. I was told that was a good sign that the femara is working (lack of estrogen headache) They eased up for a while. I have been taking 400mg of B2. But this week even that isn't helping.

I was trying to explain to my hubby (who is such a doll when I get in these moods. He tries so hard to comfort me) that I'm facing my own disappointment in myself. I had this great plan that by now (almost 2 years out from surgery) I would have lost 100lb and be ready for reconstruction.

Anyone else suffering mentally from the aftermath?
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey, Alice.

Although I can't relate to the hormone treatments, I am dealing with some depression and struggling with continued weight loss. I was losing weight steadily until I started chemo, and despite my oncologists best efforts to help by limiting steroids, I pretty much stopped losing all together for close to two months.

I have increased my exercise some and have bumped up my water intake and that seems to be helping. I feel crummy some days so I don't feel much like exercising but am doing what I can and trying like crazy to keep up with my kids and not worry so much about the numbers on the scale. Like you, though, I had a plan and wanted to be at my goal weight before returning to work after Labor Day. I'm pretty close but thought I'd be at goal by now (according to my weight loss plan), but am still 11 pounds away. Either way, I'll get there, and so will you!! Sending positive thoughts your way!

Liz
  • AEisele
    Options
    Liz : Thanks for the possitive thoughts. I am so proud of you for keeping active at all while doing your treatment. It is really hard.

To everyone: It really doesn't matter how long it's been since your diagnoses. This thing has a way of effecting you. But when you understand your going to have good days and bad days, your better prepaired to keep up the fight.

I went to my GP yesturday thinking he was going to be upset that I haven't lost much. But He was thrilled that I have lost 9 lb since my last visit. Even though i am not eating red meat... My cholestrol is climbing so I'm on yet another medicine. But That's Ok. As the weight comes of all that will change. I know what I need to do...........now I just need to do it!
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss! We have to stay positive and keep doing what is good for our bodies!

Each day is a gift and I'm realizing that more and more and have focused on not taking things for granted, including my children, my marriage or my health!

Thanks for being so supportive and sharing your insight with me...you're wonderful!! :flowerforyou:

Liz
  • AEisele
    Options
    Thought for the day: It is the nature of the world to provide challenges. It is human nature to support one another as we strive to overcome them. Through Challenges we grow braver, become stronger, emerge more confident than ever. Deep inside us we have a spirit of energy and determination, a spirit that refuses to be broken - and we call it hope. Even when life's challenges overwhelm us our hope inspires us to rise to new heights. It's then that we learn to soar! :flowerforyou:
  • AEisele
    Options
    At the bottom of victory is "da feet" so don't look down!
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer June 6th and have had a lumpectomy and will start radiation this fall. I too am at a standstill in the losing weight category. My emotions have been up and down and I haven't been able to exercise as much as I was before this all happened. I've lost some of my momentum and wish I could get it back.