WHILE WATCHING TV

Options
Can anyone tell me or give me any ideas regarding what do they do while trying to relax watching TV, what do you do besides EAT. When watching TV I'm ALWAYS tempted to eat, even when I'm not hungry.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just watch TV?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Crochet, cross stitch, study...
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I have 5 dogs, snuggle on couch while watching tv
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Not exactly relaxing, but I have done squats or Pilates exercises during commercial breaks. It take that time to plan your meals or workouts. ( planning is relaxing for me) or just save up some calories and munch on popcorn or veggies.
  • MissxAsh
    MissxAsh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I chew a piece of gum so my mouth keeps busy and I'm not tempted to snack on anything.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It's about breaking the association. Habits take time to break. When I stopped smoking (I know it's not quite the same )I had to find different ways of doing things. Sitting watching TV was hard because I associated it with smoking and relaxing so I basically had to find different ways of relaxing,at least for a while.
    Could you still eat but low calorie stuff like popcorn (sorry,I'm not aiming to lose weight so I'm not sure if that's low cal!)
  • Tucker3306
    Tucker3306 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Like someone said, chew gum. Also, almonds are your friend. Just a handful is enough to take the edge off. 100 calorie kettle corn is great for movie nights!
  • steph198503
    steph198503 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    like someone mentioned before do squats or i sometimes walk in place while im watching t..v.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've replaced snacking with drinking water. It gives me something to do with my hands and occupies my mouth and is calorie free.

I also tend to multitask when I watch tv. Like I'll be writing out my grocery list or balancing my check book or researching something online. I can't just sit still and just watch tv.
  • Laceyden
    Laceyden Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a difficult time just watching tv too. I am also trying to not snack as much, but I typically plan my meals so I can have a small snack in the evening. My favorite right now is red raspberries and a small handful of pistachios. If I don't have calories to spare that day, I love a cup of hot tea. One of my favorites is Tazo sweet cinnamon spice. It is so good it doesn't even need sugar added! I also browse Pinterest or write to my sponsor kids.
  • ahlife27
    ahlife27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    MissxAsh wrote: »
    I chew a piece of gum so my mouth keeps busy and I'm not tempted to snack on anything.

THIS! Totally how I fixed bored eating (for the most part, haha....still guilty some days.... ;) But not nearly as much as before ;). Also drinking dark roast coffee (which kinda seemed like a treat, almost like dark chocolate?). Or, if you're trying to wind down and it's anxious eating, you could try herbal tea (like chamomile or peppermint).

But gum was definitely my go-to for awhile to cut back on snacking. It kept the "my mouth needs to be busy I need something tasty" part of my brain occupied.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,128 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to just watch TV.

So I ... do homework (I'm slowly working my way toward a Master's degree), process photos and post good ones on photography forums (I am so far behind on this!), browse various forums (this one, cycling forums, photography forums, facebook), do housework (I'm up and doing something during just about every commercial break), and exercise!

I find a cup of rooibos tea can be helpful as well if I feel the need for something just a bit sweet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Drink tea.
    Do a craft project.
    Walk around.
    Brush the cat.
    Watch less tv.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    2 big mugs of tea fills me up and something like a word search to get me engrossed whilst watching tv.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I only watch TV while I'm folding laundry. That way I can say I spent all afternoon doing chores. TV is such a passive activity you likely just need something to keep your hands busy and your mind a little distracted.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I breastfeed. Not much help but it burns calories. :laugh:
  • scarlett624kh
    scarlett624kh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of pain so I like to stretch or drink tea or sit on my massage chair.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hoop dance. Read. Write.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Anything that keeps your hand busy should work. I have my PC set up near my couch so I play online while I watch. Or I knit, or do word puzzles. You can get some adult coloring books & a set of crayons or colored pencils to keep your hands occupied. You can knit just scarves, it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something to keep your hands busy. And if you don't need any yourself, you can always donate your work to a local shelter. Or baby blankets to a local hospital.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Get on my exercise bike.
    Otherwise, nothing. Maybe drink some tea or coffee... I don't like being distracted while watching tv (I only watch shows I really like and I skip commercials).