Anyone starting or currently a Macros head!?

Options
Starting macros for the first time ever, any tips or ideas on reaching numbers everyday? Please and thank you hehe

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    What numbers are you trying to reach... I think protein is the hardest so I go for chicken, tofu, eggs, egg whites and a giant can of tuna (the whole can gets me 50grams) I currently do 40carbs/ 30 protein/30 fat
    It ends up to be quite a bit of protein when I work out..which is pretty much everyday.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I switch mine around ever so often. Right now I'm on 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat
    My calories I've bumped up to 2300 as a base, trying to build muscle...the most important for me is to hit my protein, which most days I'm pretty good at. I run an open diary so feel free to add me or take a peak, I think it's set on open to the public
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What I always used to do is pre-log and play around with my day at first to get an idea what I need to eat. To reach my protein goal I try to incorporate a source of protein at every meal: lean meats, eggs, dairy (especially things like cottage cheese and Greek yogurt) etc.
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ^this. Pre-log works everytime!
  • alia1975
    alia1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What macro numbers to lose weight ? 175 weight 42 year old woman 5/2 height. Please having a hard time figuring out macros.
  • JoshGouvisis
    JoshGouvisis Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long you've been dieting, but if it hasnt been long forget macros. Just focus on what you've been doing that is proving success. Worry about the fine tuned details later.

If experienced, depends on what your goal is. Macros depend on what your wanting to achieve.
  • XGorgeous007
    XGorgeous007 Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    alia1975 wrote: »
    What macro numbers to lose weight ? 175 weight 42 year old woman 5/2 height. Please having a hard time figuring out macros.

I actually like the calc on site IIFYM.com it is helpful and helps find your macros by bodyweight, age etc. check it out.

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calories > Macros > Everything Else
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    alia1975 wrote: »

I actually like the calc on site IIFYM.com it is helpful and helps find your macros by bodyweight, age etc. check it out.

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

or use 0.8 grams of protein for each lb you weigh 0.35 grams of fat for each lb and the rest carbs...

Macros are for body comp not weight loss.
  • Ryan_Jacob
    Ryan_Jacob Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm a 40/40/20 kinda guy. I also find it difficult hitting the 40% protein sometimes, especially on an unplanned high carb day.
  • staceymsavage
    staceymsavage Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to macros as well! Actually I'm ABOUT to be new to macros. Right now I am just getting back into logging all of my food, and then will take it to a coach so he can let me know what I need to change in order to see the results I want.
    I've been training quite regularly for the last year, and have seen some great changes in my body and my strength. But I know that the nutrition part is what's missing for me.

Good luck with your macros journey, from one newbie to another :smile:
  • knmorris85
    knmorris85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Focus on hitting your protein every day and the fat/carbs you can play with a bit according to how you eat/feel best, as long as you don't go over your total calorie goals. For protein, egg whites (I scramble half a cup of egg whites with 1 whole egg for breakfast), protein powder, powdered peanut butter, chicken breast, white fish like mahi-mahi, turkey deli meat (not too much cause of sodium), and veggies like kale and broccoli (relatively high in protein for a veg!) have been super helpful for me. I also eat a ton of frozen green peas- they are fairly high in carbs for a green veggie but also high in protein and I sometimes find I don't miss a starch (like rice) when I have a huge serving of peas.

Add me as a friend if you want support! I also love to see what other people eat (it gives me ideas!)