Step on the scale?

Options
How many times do you guys weigh yourself in a month? Or when do you think is the best?

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The best way is always under the same conditions. Wear the same clothing or go nude, same time of day - best time is in the morning before eating after using the bathroom, don't move your scale, and keep your scale on a level surface and not carpet.

As for frequency, I try to weigh only once a week and need to become more strict about it simply because I exercise M-F and generally during the week I retain water rather badly (I'm guessing from the exercise) so I'm always up. Sunday is usually my lowest weight of the week so I consistently weigh in on Sundays.

When my weight loss begins to slow I will begin weighing in monthly because I hate plateaus and they give me anxiety.
  • Julia_yulia
    Julia_yulia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weigh every week or two, first thing in the morning. I used to weigh everyday but it ruined my mood if I wasn't seeing continuous progress, so I stopped.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log my weight into happy scales app to see the trend. If you know you are eating in a deficit, notice your sodium intake and TOM then the up and down fluctuations won't bother you.

Yesterday I had cashews and they put me up a little higher than my normal sodium intake so I know that for 2 days I will weigh more because of water retention. This doesn't bother me but it does bother some so they don't weigh every day.

• katelouisenewaccount
    Options
    I weigh once a week first thing in the morning
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I'm about once a week, since the daily fluctuations affected my moods too much. Since I'm only losing about a pound a week, it takes time for anything to show on the scale. I also make sure to weigh myself after a rest day so I don't have the water retention I get after a hard run.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    daily in the morning
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I weigh a few times a day and track trends
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I weigh too much .. scale is in the kitchen ... but only log weight 1 time a week on Saturday. . Unless going out of town then Friday am

Good luck
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've weighed myself every morning for the past 2 years, but recently changed to 2-3 times a week. I still get the same results as i did when i weighed everyday :tongue:
  • LadyoftheCake
    LadyoftheCake Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Daily, but I only log my weight into MFP every other Tuesday.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Daily but i only update MFP when im down 5 pounds and have remained under the next 5 down for atleast a few days straight
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Daily. But I know what makes weight fluctuate so am okay and don't freak out over variances. I like watching for trends. I have an odd pattern of loss that I feel better tracking myself.

It's also an accountability thing for me. I hid from the scale as a way of denying I was gaining weight for a good many years. Stepping on every day is a habit to avoid that pitfall again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    ShyphyCee wrote: »
    How many times do you guys weigh yourself in a month? Or when do you think is the best?

Anywhere from 28 to 31 times ... depending on the month.

• CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    During my first go round with losing weight I weighed in weekly. It was horrible. If I lost weight that week, I felt awesome. If I didn't lose weight that week, I was miserable all week until the next weigh in. Then, when I hit a serious plateau and nothing seemed to move for weeks, I just gave up.

This time around I weigh in daily, first thing in the morning, and it is working much better. Whereas before I think I caught myself on a bad day some weeks, now I can see how my weight fluctuates and respond accordingly. If it shoots up suddenly then I try to avoid sodium and drink more water. For me, daily weigh-ins have increased accountability and made me feel more in control of my body.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Daily. It numbs me to the fluctuations.

I enter my weight here every day - then it syncs to FitBit - then that syncs to TrendWeight. So, by entering it once, I get a current number in all three places (though my friends may get tired of my newsfeed repeatedly announcing the same half pound loss; one of these days, I'll get around to changing that setting :smile: ).
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, every morning.