confused?

Options
hi i get 1200 calories a day but when i exercise my calories go up to the amount ive burned, am i supposed to use these extra calories or not?
thanks sue

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes you are suppose to eat them.
  • ceeshelman
    ceeshelman Posts: 77
    Options
    Yep, you can use them or not. You need about 1200 calories to actually lose weight, so you can eat extra calories when you burn a bunch as long as you do not eat more than you burned that day. You will still lose weight.
  • allysabee
    allysabee Posts: 123
    Options
    It's your choice. Many people notice, though, that if they eat their calories burned during exercise, they don't lose as much weight as opposed to NOT eating them. I would say it's okay to eat them sometimes, but just not all the time - otherwise it kinda cancels it out all together.
  • stephaluphagus
    Options
    I don't eat those calories I burned from exercise. At least I try not to. If I end up eating them its not a big deal..But I want to lose the weight at a relatively faster rate then I have been..
  • heatherseona
    heatherseona Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I don't eat my exercise calories because I want to lose faster.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    hi sue,

the myfitnesspal website will subtract your exercise calories from your daily total, so you can actually eat more when you exercise.

some people choose not to eat those calories back, but if you're at 1200/day, you may want to eat at least some of those calories back so your body doesn't go into starvation mode and slow your metabolism down.

hope this helps!
  • Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    use the search feature for the boards and you will get your answer quicker.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Around here they're called your "exercise calories." There are a lot of opinions concerning the topic; some people eat them back, others don't. I'd suggest to experiment and see what works best for your body. :smile:
  • AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal your given is what your body needs to meet your goal if you do nothing. That's why when you exercise it adds those calories burned to the amount you can eat. So yes you can have a little more but you want to stay below your daily allowence with the burned calories added.

When i saw my nutritionist she said it was best to have a minimume and a maxamume calorie for the day. For example; I am very overweight.......My max calories set by my doctor is 1600. But they do not want me to go below 1200. My FP goal starts at 1450 So it's a middle of the road target. Even when my exercise brings it up over 1600 I do not go over 1600 in calories eaten.

Hope that makes sense.
  • erickirb
    Options
    It's your choice. Many people notice, though, that if they eat their calories burned during exercise, they don't lose as much weight as opposed to NOT eating them. I would say it's okay to eat them sometimes, but just not all the time - otherwise it kinda cancels it out all together.

MFP is set up so you lose your goal amount of weight whether you exercise or not. So if you eat 1200 and burn 400 it is like eating 800 and not exercising which is not enough to live on. If on the other hand you eat 1600 and burn 400 it is like eating 1200 and not exercising, and is considered a healthy way to lose weight. 1600 -400 = 1200- 0
  • erickirb
    Options
    in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat. So even though your calories go up, I wouldn't recommend eating your workout calories. or at least make a habit out of it.

Bad Bad advice, and this goes against what MFP is set up to do. If you don't eat them you may not be getting enough fuel and you can damage your metabolism, and/or burn lean muscle instead of fat.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Just another thing- one danger of eating back all of your exercise calories is that you can potentially be overestimating your caloric burn and therefore eating too many calories at the end of the day. If you choose to eat your exercise calories, you should really try to ensure that your burned calorie count is accurate.
  • strohst
    strohst Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i think its totally up to you .... My trainer told us the other night that as long as you have 1000 calories in your system you should be ok ... anything under that your body will go into starvation mood and work against you .....
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, You've earned the extra calories by working out. If your hungry eat something healthy, if your not hungry, don't eat. Listen to what your body is telling you.
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat. So even though your calories go up, I wouldn't recommend eating your workout calories. or at least make a habit out of it.

Bad Bad advice, and this goes against what MFP is set up to do. If you don't eat them you may not be getting enough fuel and you can damage your metabolism, and/or burn lean muscle instead of fat.

Alright, I understand that you believe in doing it a certain way, but plenty of people do not eat their exercise calories back and do not starve themselves. These people know from experience that it works, and they listen to their bodies. Please do not discriminate others advice as bad because it is not your own opinion.