do you need a trainer?

Options
I met with a trainer but im not sure if I need one. i eat healthy and have lost 110lbs on my own but I want to tighten my skin im not sure if i can just do this myself? have you used a personal trainer ?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I met with a trainer but im not sure if I need one. i eat healthy and have lost 110lbs on my own but I want to tighten my skin im not sure if i can just do this myself? have you used a personal trainer ?

A trainer will not be able to help you with tightening the skin.

That being said I think personal trainers vary quite a bit in terms of how good they are partially due to low barrier of entry in the field.

Whether or not it's "worth it" really depends on the individual and the trainer.

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    3 ways to tighten the skin. Time (depends on genetics), adding muscle, or surgery. I use a personal trainer. I wouldn't say I need my trainer, but he helps keep me accountable, and fixes my form so I don't waste time. If you can afford it, I'd say hire someone once a week for 1 month, twice a month for about 2 months, and then drop it down to once a month until you reach goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    As already stated above, a trainer can't tighten skin...

Skin can take up to a year to regain elasticity, so you may see some improvement over time.

Adding a little muscle to fill the skin out may help too. Whether you want a trainer to help you with this is up to you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    A trainer can help to improve your exercise technique and enhance the shape you already have. As Sidesteel mentioned, loose skin doesn't get tightened with just exercise. Even if one put on a decent amount of muscle underneath, there's going to still be loose skin.
    So it's a waiting game (sometimes up to 2 years) to see if it retracts or surgery. IMO with people that have lost 80+lbs, surgery is the usual route for 95% of them due to no retraction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I think you have to "want it". No trainer is going to get you your ideal body. You have to study and do the work. A trainer can help lead you but you have to commit.
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As someone who entered a gym just over a year ago for the first time and had no idea what to do, or how and was terrified by the whole gym environment my trainer has been absolutely essential. A year o. I am down 56 pounds, 4 dress sizes but more importantly am more confident in every aspect of my life, stronger, fitter, happier. My trainer has pushed me further and further, I am doing things in the gym I would never have thought possible.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    have you used a personal trainer ?

'i need a trainer' is like saying 'i need shoes'. the immediate question is going to be 'what kind? why? and what for?'

i did my own thing for a little more than a year, and then i went looking for a trainer when i knew there was a specific gap that i couldn't fill by myself. he's been invaluable, and now (another year in) i still go because my once-a-week time in his 'club' has become part of my life.

i think it depends on your goals. if you know what they are, and you know there's an aspect of getting there where you'd benefit from input from somebody else, that's the time to go shopping for one. but knowing what you want and why you're there is not just helpful for the relationship you eventually form. imo it's extremely useful for just helping you figure out what 'kind' of trainer you're looking for.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

1). What's your ultimate goal?
    2). Are you successfully moving towards that goal on your own?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love having trainers, its just a personal choice . i love always learning from wise masters
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I love personal trainers ( Good ones) have been working out for 30 years and will still occasionally work with one for a week longer if their worth it. Bad habits seem to become routine with time and a professional helping me fix a bad lift or just knocking me on my *kitten* with a new routine hell yes!!

My skin took all of two years to tighten up but with hard work great diet it did never considered surgery No way for me
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have had great experience with my trainer. I knew how to exercise, but have learned a lot of new exercises. Which have been very valuable to my success. More than anything I needed help with my diet. Again, very valuable to my success. No matter if you have a trainer or not, you have to put in the work.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I started with my trainer two years ago I wasn't convinced I needed him to achieve my goals, but I'm convinced now. When I was young and in shape -- and stupid -- I used to injure myself constantly due to bad form, and needless to say never even thought of asking anybody else for advice, much less pay for it. The upshot was that injuries eventually stopped me from exercising, which led me to gain weight, which led to crippling back problems, which led to physical therapy, which led to signing on with this guy, who specializes in taking sedentary middle aged people fresh from physical therapy and training them like athletes. He pushes me, gradually and with appropriate caution, but relentlessly, to attempt stuff that I would never DREAM of doing on my own. Jump rope? Pullups? Deadlifts? Burpees? This is stuff I couldn't do in my TWENTIES. I'm not sure what I thought I was doing in the gym back then, but it was NOT a workout. Long story short: I'm a fan.