Do 'negative' calorie foods exist?

Options
2»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    No. There are zero-ish calorie foods, like pickles and mustard, but there are no negative calorie foods. Ice is the closest thing I can think of.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I wish! Since the so-called negative calorie foods are foods I actually love, I'd be super-model thin!
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Person above brought up a good point. You could just eat a bottle of mustard. I bet that'd net to 0 calories. Delicious.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    If it's under 5 calories manufacturers are allowed to say it has zero.
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    exactly. A cup of mustard is 165 calories and a container of pickles is 245 calories. They only say 0 because of the small amount of a "serving"
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I know it is technically not a food - but how about gum? Especially the way I chew it (pretty intensely and probably not too attractively) - I'm fairly sure I'm burning some calories - LOL.
  • Julia_yulia
    Julia_yulia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know it is technically not a food - but how about gum? Especially the way I chew it (pretty intensely and probably not too attractively) - I'm fairly sure I'm burning some calories - LOL.
    Maybe if it was sugar free lol :D
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

But do you log it as exercise calories?

I'm sure my friends would disown me:

Nutmegoreo burned 5 calories -including gum chewing, vigorous

Hahaha!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    i heard celery fits the bill.

Okay - let's say this is true. Suppose you ate 1 cup of chopped celery for 16 calories. But (let's say) it took your body 26 calories to digest that celery. That would be a net of 10 calories!

3,500 / 10 - 350. Wow - I only have to eat 350 cups of celery to lose 1 pound. :s

This nonsense is just a headline grabber for selling magazines. Eat food you like. Eat food that is satiating. Don't eat food because it may net you 10 calories.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Okay, I actually laughed out loud at this.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It probably depends what you define as "food". If you ate a piece of tree bark you would get pretty close to zero calories out of it, and it would definitely burn some energy to break it down and expel it. But why would you be eating it?

Mostly I think we define "food" as something we can get usable energy from. It's like saying "is there any fuel you could put in a fire that wouldn't produce any heat?" There are lots of things you can put in a fire that won't produce heat, such as rocks or teaspoons, but none of these things would count as "fuel" and you would have to ask why you were doing it in the first place. Even necessary zero-calorie nutrients, like water, salt, calcium, vitamin C, are not usually called "food" in their own right.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I wouldn't if it involved the entire pack at once!! ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I wouldn't if it involved the entire pack at once!! ;)

Good to know that if I go big or go home, I can keep at least a few of my friends who are impressionable :laugh: