Reality and Weight Loss: A journey with No Clear Map

Options
Since going to grad school in 2014, I gained 50 lbs. I watch my health deteriorate like a bystander as I devote myself to my professional life. I’ve reached a point where I avoid basically any activities away from the lab. Last month I made one change: going to the gym 3x/day. Right now, I can walk straight for 30 mins, and I feel more energized. I want more. It is time for a life style change.

My Main Concerns:

Budget & Time – I can’t follow those healthy weekly meal plans out there with seven different fruits and veggies and a long list of organic items, proteins and what not. I have to make things work with my wallet and my needs. I can’t afford going to the gym every single day either – that’s additional commute time. I can’t put my life on hold as seen in these weight loss shows (unfortunately!).

Stress - I don't even know where to start.

I want to meet people who are going through similar experiences (torn between life, stress, and weight gain) to exchange very quick and practical tips/ideas about what is working and what is NOT working in our weight loss journeys.

Current weight: 234.5 lbs. Goal weight: 190 lbs. Age: in my 20's. Occupation: grad student, research assistant. Main flaw: seats for long hours and stress eats.

My plan:
1. Enter daily meal intake (I’ll make everything I eat visible – the good, the bad, and the ugly).
2. Share the unfiltered truth about this messy and vulnerable journey.
3. Provide understanding and support to others if they want. I am no professional fitness person or a nutritionist. I’m just a human being who wants to get her health back under control. If you’re on the same boat, you don't have to be alone.

Feel free to add me as a friend for extra support. Sometimes, a weight loss journey is better lived together than solo.

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    wow, okay a lot is going on there
    lets start with 1- i'm not perfect/a doctor- I'm just someone who has lost 100lbs and has made this work.

2- budget and time- you have to make yourself a priority. Reality, I find VERY few people on here eat all their fruits and veggies EVERY DAY. Does it make it easier to plan out your meals, do one full day of cooking and then not have to think for the rest of the week, yes, does it happen all the time. No. I think by mindful eating you will find more useful. If you eat a donut just remember that and try to eat a healthier lunch. The more aware you are of eating the better you will eat- tracking will help with that. The more aware you are of your food and better choices you make it will be easier to eat healthier. Yes, a donut is the same price as an apple or banana. Also, have heather food available. My motto is if you are really hungry you will eat what is in front of you. I also try to eat several times a day and not once or twice.

I think most people do not go to the gym every single day. I know that I would rather hike. When I can not make it I throw in a DVD (I prefer Jillians but everyone has their thing) its only 20 mins- most you can get for $10 new but I am sure ebay and other places have them cheaper. Also try little things, take the stairs when possible, try to stand instead if sitting, use a medicine ball instead of a chair (it helps with core)

3- STOP WORRYING! Stress does the opposite- it makes you eat more, causes you body to become tense and is just not worth it. I think you should start with little things. changes you can make. Cut out soda switch to water, instead of heavy cream (dnd now has almond milk), take stairs, park at the end of the parking lot, go light on the mayo, watch sauces in general they tend to add more calories vs if you used spices, eat more fruits and veggies, stop with the fried food- I'm not really sure what your little things are going to be but start small. Makes sure you still have some of your favorite foods- its a lifestyle not a diet. If you cut out all your favorite foods your most likely going to cheat and overeat on those foods.

4- Also have a reward in place for when you met your goal (not food your not a dog) like a massage or a new outfit.

5- Don't expect it to fall off overnight, it did not take you 1 day to put all the weight on- its not going to take a day to take it all off.

6- use the 80/20 method. do well 80% of the time 20% give yourself a break. No one is prefect!

7- WATER. if nothing else Drink Water!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    As for your budget and time - eat the things you like within your calorie goal. You don't need a complete overhaul right now. After a few months you will learn what keeps you satisfied and what's not worth eating often.

Go for a walk on lunch break, wake up 30 min earlier. You don't need to join a gym right now to lose weight. Just eat in a calorie deficit.

Hope this helps some!
  • mjcall2013
    mjcall2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, you can too. I started at 197 and am at 133 now. It's been 5 years and I still struggle to keep it off, at times. Some years are better than others. My first year, I didn't use MFP even though I signed up for it. I ate a lot of almonds, apples with peanut butter (peanuts only), bananas, soy milk (I know...the taste-but I got use to it, and only drank the soy and water kind-don't drink it now though). I had to get rid of certain foods out of my house-cause, even now, I can't control my portions. No bread, no white potatoes, no cereal. I ate what I wanted, as long as it was truly natural and very little refined stuff. But not all the time-I still had the weekly restaurant fast food meal. Some things were hard and others surprisingly easy. The biggest change was working out everyday or at least 5x a week. I discovered I love to incline walk, at a fast pace. So I walked the 600ft mountain close to my house everyday for months at a time. I tried different routes and times. Somehow I was really motivated by walking outside.Always wore a activity watch, and still do. Now I am less motivated, but still walk outside 2-4 days a week and use one of those cheesy Tony Little Gazelle Machines that lives in my garage, between the washing machine and my car! I hung a curtain and painted the small portion of the garage that has the machine there and posted pictures and a TV in there to make it a pleasing place to be. At minimum, I do 20 mins. Max is 60 mins. If I do it right, I can really work up a sweat on that thing. Currently, I work out about 5 days a week. Stress sucks, just don't give up. But if you do, you can always start over. The work outs have helped me with the stress-a lot. I'm 61 years old-and one would think I would have it together by now, but really, life is about ups and downs. Recognize where you are and work at getting through it. Try not to beat yourself up too much in the process!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your commitment. I suggest you only make changes that are sustainable for life. Hopefully you want to change your LIFE, not just go on a diet for awhile. The good news is th as the there is absolutely no need to work out 3x per day, nor do you have to purchase organic food or follow elaborate meal plans to lose weight.