Is it appropriate to go on a diet during the Christmas Holidays

Options
I've been told by a lot of people, that I should avoid going on diets during the Christmas period. Should I still lose weight in December?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you're working consistently towards your goal, eating in excess a couple days a year won't hurt your progress.

If you need help, send a friend request.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm going to continue my cut through the holiday season. I know that a couple of days I'll be over and my weight will either maintain or go up slightly. But, because I'm planning on keeping on my cut, I won't have to worry too much about my weight possibly getting out of control or falling into old habits.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Save your splurging for the actual celebration days, and stick to the plan on all other days. Don't go whole hog and start backsliding if you don't have to, but don't sacrifice having a fun, delicious time with friends and family either.
    There's always an excuse to not try and lose weight at any given time. You can spend the entire year coming up with excuses or you can just go ahead and do it.

Also this. ^^^
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It isn't impossible to watch your calorie intake over the holidays. Eat at maintenance level on the actual holiday. Stick to your goal the other days of the month.
    Today is November 20th. Set a reasonable sustainable goal like 1 lb a week and start logging today.
    If you plan to go on a very restrictive low calorie diet I'd say you will not have a very happy holidays and will probably not end up being succesful at sticking to it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10479934/is-it-really-just-one-day/p1
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Go on a diet when you're ready. Christmas is one day. Good luck.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I've actually started dieting several times during the holidays. For many people, the period of Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years becomes a time of non-stop indulgence. Rather than gain 5 or more pounds during those two months, by paying attention to what I eat, I can lose a few pounds, or at the least maintain my weight. Even if it's just a matter of being careful 6 days a week and indulging on one, that's better than indulging 7 days a week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    OP I don't know who you converse with, but 3 days of Holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's) are usually days of over indulgence, but you can be consistent and in calorie deficit the rest of the time and still lose. I wrote a thread on this.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10479697/that-extra-2-5lbs-gain-each-year#latest

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png