New to everything! Just tried lettuce for the first time

Options
New to everything! Including what to eat. Just tried lettuce for the first time.....that bad!!!!

I've been eating burgers and fries for the last 25 y, no vegies. Cholesterol levels off the chart and overweight

Lost 7 pounds in 7 days, just by looking at Calories. Need to learn more though! :noway:

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No lettuce on those burgers?
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    small steps :) that's great..way to go! you will get there..it is a big change but it gets easier everyday. good luck to you :)
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    lettuce has no taste ! just saying
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That's why you're here, though! Lifestyle changes are never too late, imo. You'll get plenty of ultra supportive friends in no time! :smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Burgers for every meal??? :huh:

Welcome and good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • iameeviac
    iameeviac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow-- I can't imagine living for 25 years without veggies! There are so many flavors and ways to cook them. Sauteed, on the barbeque grill, raw, baked, with olive oil, butter, garlic.... don't overdo the oils with the veggies, though, or it defeats the purpose! If I let my husband cook all my meals, I'd be overweight eating too much vegetable oil, chorizo, and grasa from the meat. Good luck! Nutrients and balance are just as important as calorie counting. I mean, you could eat your maximum in calories in one meal if you choose fast food, and then be hungry all day trying not to pass your calorie limit... or you can make healthy low fat, low sugar, and low carb choices and eat throughout the day. Log your activity, too, to see how many calories you burn (for example, my husband works in construction in the heat. He plays soccer at least once a week. He can eat way more than me and not gain weight because he burns it off so fast!)
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on the loss....and the lettuce!!! I'm no fan of veggies myself, but I feel so much better after eating them that I try to have a few generous helpings each day.

One thing I like is cole slaw mix. Not the premade, loaded with mayo and other bad stuff slaw, but the shredded cabbage, carrots, etc that you can find in the bag in the produce section. I throw a little fat free dressing on there (Kraft makes good ones) and enjoy! I try to eat a salad every day, but I don't like the texture of lettuce leaves. I like cole slaw mix because it's pre-shredded.

I'm sure other folks will have a lot of advice. Just don't take too much stock in the "OMG you can't have ANYTHING processed everrrr it must be organically grown" stuff. Eventually your goal should be to eat as "clean" as possible, but just take baby steps by gradually introducing healthier, natural foods into your eating. Do too much at one time and you'll wanna throw your hands up! Best of luck!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    How bad was it? I haven't eaten veg in 10 years! Tried lettuce for the first time about a month ago and it made me queesy...tried tomato for the first time yesterday and I had to go to bed I wa that ill from it! My body simply can't handle the stuff anymore, so I need to work really hard to get my tolerence levels up enough to actually eat it! I'm not allergic though, I ate it fine as a kid. But yeah, you're not alone in being new to lettuce.
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for taking that first step into the veggie world! There are so many good choices. Try some carrot sticks next. They are a little sweet and crunchy! Maybe try a sweet potato! Loads of nutrition. Keep up the good work!!
  • cmarshel
    cmarshel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welocme to the journey!

Like yourself I haven't done vegetables. Corn is the only one I ever ate. But a few weeks back I too did the lettuce on a sandwich and lived. ;-) Also tried spaghetti using spaghetti squash...was alright...just a different texture. So I continue to try something new here and there as I make my lifestyle change.