Why in the world did I GAIN?!

Options
The first 2 weeks I was doing MFP, I had a hard time staying within my calories- many days I went over by a a few to a couple of hundred...I lost like 6 pounds-?- I think it was.
The second two weeks I was perfectly within my calories, worked out pretty hard ( at least a level 6-8) ate my excorcise calories, etc...and I gained .8!! WHY?

I weigh in only every 2 weeks as I expect too much from the scale on a weekly basis...

Is this my body adjusting? I go through this EVERY time I lose weight...work my tail end off for either a slight gain or barely a loss at all. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The first 2 weeks I was doing MFP, I had a hard time staying within my calories- many days I went over by a a few to a couple of hundred...I lost like 6 pounds-?- I think it was.
    The second two weeks I was perfectly within my calories, worked out pretty hard ( at least a level 6-8) ate my excorcise calories, etc...and I gained .8!! WHY?

I weigh in only every 2 weeks as I expect too much from the scale on a weekly basis...

Is this my body adjusting? I go through this EVERY time I lose weight...work my tail end off for either a slight gain or barely a loss at all. What am I doing wrong?
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    If you consistently went over your calories during the first two weeks and lost weight, then I would say that your caloric requirement is higher than what MFP has assigned to you. Now you are eating less and gaining weight, so your body might feel as if you're not getting enough to eat and it's holding onto your extra calories instead of letting them go. I would try going over again for the next two weeks and see if you drop the weight again. If so, then you know you need to eat a little more in order to lose.
    Options
    could it be that you are starting to tone and gain a little muscle? The only way to know that for sure is to actually measure yourself. You also need to think that the scale that we all weight ourselves on is only a very small part of what we can judge our weight loose on.
  • ggooding12
    Options
    Hang in there. It will catch up. Make sure if you are working out hard, that you are getting enough calories. This is why it is also called the dreaded week two. More than not people have that issue even me, I gained 3 lbs. Week three, those 3 lbs fell right back off again. Have faith, it's hard not to get discouraged. I am thankfull for these posting, it makes you realize that you are not alone, or your body is wacky compared to the rest of the weight loosing community.
  • goochinator
    Options
    You also need to think that the scale that we all weight ourselves on is only a very small part of what we can judge our weight loose on.

YES, YES...I need to remember that. I am feeling 'smaller' so to speak, whether its in my head or not, I dont know.
    ...and it JUST NOW occurred to me...we just got a fat measuring scale - did I bother to look to see if the percentage of fat increased or decreased? nope...didnt even think of that.
    D'oh!! :huh:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Especially if you're sedentary beforehand, its not uncommon to gain a little before you start to lose. If you were eating very sparsely, it could be because your body is still in 'starvation mode' and is trying to horde calories. If you were eating well but sedentary, it could be that you're building some muscle from the added activity. Heck, it could also be water weight... a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds.
  • healthy_me
    Options
    Our bodies are strange. I was eating so well for 2 weeks and not losing a lot of weight and then I had 3 really high calorie days and lost 2.5lbs on those days.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    If you consistently went over your calories during the first two weeks and lost weight, then I would say that your caloric requirement is higher than what MFP has assigned to you. Now you are eating less and gaining weight, so your body might feel as if you're not getting enough to eat and it's holding onto your extra calories instead of letting them go. I would try going over again for the next two weeks and see if you drop the weight again. If so, then you know you need to eat a little more in order to lose.

I totally agree with this!

:flowerforyou:
  • goochinator
    Options

I totally agree with this!

:flowerforyou:

Thanks!
    Oh but eating more scares me....maybe I'll try going up just a little.