HRM QUESTION

Options
So, if I want to wear my HRM while at work, I sit behind a computer all day, but I do get up and walk around and walk to other buildings..My question is, would it be bad to have it counting my calories I burn since I have a desk job, or is it ok????? BTW I have a Polar FT4 ..

Thanks

Replies

• rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    I only use mine if I am going to raise my heart rate enough to be "In Zone" meaning workouts.
    I wouldn't use it for everyday things that I would be doing normally anyways.....I also have the Polar FT4.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a bodybugg type device I think HRM's are primarily used for when you are exercising or sporting type activity where you work to get your heart rate up to a zone. Sitting and doing normal activities as part of your day may not count as additional calories exerted.
  • PhatChic1186
    PhatChic1186 Posts: 173
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!!! I will not have it calculating til I leaving work to do my walk...
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the FT4 and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival from Amazon!

How do all of you like it?? :flowerforyou:
  • RUNMLT
    RUNMLT Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i agree...i dont think you should count anything other than physical exercise...unless maybe your job was a ditch digger or an aerobics instructor....
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    I think it's only designed for when you are exercising. You can stop and start it so when you get up and go for a walk turn it on - you will just have multiple entries for that day. Make sure you keep the contact pads wet (or wet them before you go or you may not get accurate readings).

The formulas on this site for calories already have factored in general work (desk job) and living.
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    I just ordered the FT4 and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival from Amazon!

How do all of you like it?? :flowerforyou:

I just got mines yesterday from ****SSporting Good...I like it alot so far..
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    I think it's only designed for when you are exercising. You can stop and start it so when you get up and go for a walk turn it on - you will just have multiple entries for that day. Make sure you keep the contact pads wet (or wet them before you go or you may not get accurate readings).

The formulas on this site for calories already have factored in general work (desk job) and living.

Ok, thank you
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This has probably already been said, but the chest strap HRMs (FT4 included) aren't meant for that. Even the company has said not to use them that way -- it won't be accurate.

I saw someone suggested BodyBugg. It's made for what you described.
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I refuse to exercise without my Polar FT4. I'm in love with it! But it won't be acurate at a resting heart rate (this is according to others on this site). Find a BMR calculator on line.