protein powders

Options
Advice please!! Are you brand conscious when it comes to protein powders? I am checking out amazon for protein powder and everything is expensive but I came across this chocolate flavored protein powder which is around 6 $(470 rupees for me) is whey isolate more powerful than this humble looking powder? is protein powder only for weight lifters? Can it cause weight loss?z1f0s3fzi1r1.png

Replies

• saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are no nutritional facts for this product but I entered it here and it seems that a portion only has 5 g of protein (I think this is less than whole milk). A good whey or isolate will generally provide 20 to 25g of protein per serving
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I weigh 75 kgs at 5'3" how much protein do I need? Amazon's description for this product shows 10 gram per scoop
  • saphin
    Options
    Your protein requirement will vary according to your exercise regime. The sports nutrition book that I researched had a recommended minimum of 0.8 g per kilo of body weight (60g for you) for a sedentary individual. If you are resistance training (weight, body weight or a sport like intense and long rowing or cycling) you should double this (120g for you). For running or other exercise classes try 1.2 g per kilo of body weight (90g for you)

Some people go even higher than this but it's really a matter of personal preference as long as you are meeting the minimums above.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    Options
    I run /walk for 60-90 minutes and I don't have chicken everyday but I do eat a couple of eggs almost everyday. I don't eat beef as I am Hindu. No actually I don't eat it because it's not allowed in my country.
  • saphin
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'd guess that starting with 90g would be your best option. Please get your protein from a mixture of sources so that you can be certain of getting all of the required protein elements (BCAA - branch chain amino acids) but dairy is a complete protein.

Rather than go with the protein powder, you can get 18g from 200ml of skimmed milk (sorry but I don't know if the Hindu diet allows that) and many other traditional foods can provide a good mixture of proteins. Try this site for some ideas

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.thefitindian.com/healthy-and-natural-protein-rich-foods/amp/?client=safari

Edited for spelling
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    Options
    Yes milk is allowed in Hinduism. Thanks