pregnant-restrict calories or maintenance?

Options
Hi,

I've just found out I'm pregnant, and it's very early days, but I want to know if I should immediately change to maintenance rather than keep at about 1600 which I have been? I'm 5foot 4 and weigh about 60kg (about 27%body fat) I wanted to get back down to 55kg (and about 23% bodyfat) which was the weight I was happiest at, but I obviously want to do everything to make sure everything is OK
Or should I increase calories slowly?

Replies

• Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Probably not worth risking the growth of your unborn child. talk to your doctor or midwife etc before making any changes but I would suggest maintenance.
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations too!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Katie!

There are several Pregnancy Fitness Calorie Calculators available online. Here's one you may input your data into to ascertain possible targets. I would still run the trimester caloric goals through your ObGyn just to be on the safe side.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dr Hilary from Lorraine Kelly's morning TV show talked about this the other day. During first two trimesters the average woman needs 2000 cals a day, then for the final trimester, 2200 a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Dr Hilary from Lorraine Kelly's morning TV show talked about this the other day. During first two trimesters the average woman needs 2000 cals a day, then for the final trimester, 2200 a day.

That's way too generalized to be any help.

I'm not even pregnant and I maintain on 2200 a day, for example.
  • frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Go up to maintenance for the first two trimesters. UK guidelines are that that pregnant women should avoid dieting and only need to have an extra 200 calories a day in the last three months of their pregnancy.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/July07/Pages/new-nice-guidelines-weight-pregnancy.aspx
  • katiew78
    katiew78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all-that confirms what I was thinking :)