Home gyms

Options
Hey y'all trying this post again hopefully with no mess ups!!

So let me start out by saying please do not tell me to just go to a gym. I have social anxiety (yes that's real) which it makes it hard to be in public sometimes, and some places more than others, especially a gym. So that is something I'm working on!

With that being said.. I've been looking at home gyms! Any recommendations/suggestions/pros/cons on equipment? What has caught my eye recently is the Marcy-MWM 988 150 lbs stack home gym. I'm just worried that it won't be enough weight for certain things, or that I'll "grow out of it" too quickly.

Thanks!

Replies

• newbie3122
    newbie3122 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bw exercises, or you can actually get a lot of things cheap on CL
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are looking to do.

I have a cage for weight lifting, a heavy bag and stand for kickboxing, and a treadmill.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I work out at home too. I have some hand weights, lots of workout videos to choose from, and a treadmill at this point. I don't see anything wrong with staying home. ;)

I have no experience with the machine you mentioned. I just wanted you to know you aren't alone in staying home.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dumbbells I can load up with up to 80lbs@, a Swiss Ball, a Yoga mat, and a doorway pull-up bar..that's plenty to get me through a workout when I don't feel like leaving the house.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I will echo the above that it depends on what you're trying to do. Personally, I didn't start building a home gym until I had been following a solid workout plan and knew I would use the equipment I'd have to buy regularly.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can try craigslist for standard (1 inch hole) re-loadable dumbbells with weight plates. If they look rusty, they can be cleaned primed and painted. Once done, they're practically good as new. There are a tone of things you can do with them and they take up very little room. Free- weights are better than machines, because you get to work your stabilizer muscles at the same time. That's why someone who is strong on machines doesn't always do so well on free-weights.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Start with some basic hand weights and maybe a bar for squats/deadlifts and build up once you find what you feel you're missing. You could spend hundreds on big pieces of equipment and find they don't work well for you. One piece of cardio (either a treadmill or elliptical preferably) will do, you can always run outside too!

I will say though, I suffer from anxiety too, and stayed away from the gym for a long time because of it. I eventually started going with a friend who worked out with me until I got more comfortable and now I'm happy to go alone, as long as its at times when it's quiet. Build your confidence with the equipment you buy at home but don't rule the gym out completely, they're very useful places to utilise if you manage to work up to going there.
  • fitmama282
    fitmama282 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Treadmill, & an Elliptical machine.
    I also have a bun and thigh rocker.
    Weight bench, and different sizes of dumbbells.
    I also have the stability ball, ab rocker, and several exercise dvds.
    I love working out at home, can get up and do it first thing in the morning and add soon as I get home from work too, so convenient, better than driving somewhere to a gym.
    The only problem I have working out at home is, I have a sister who sometimes come to visit me right after I get home from work, and that is when she is at my dad's who live next door, so she walks to my house as soon add I am home from work. And that is when I need to jump in and exercise as soon as I get home.
    I have told her I am going to be exercising in the evenings when I get home from work, but she still does that.
    I'm thinking about shutting and kicking front for and if she comes knocking while I am exercising, I will have my husband to go to the door and tell her I an in the middle of exercising and for her to come back later.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    since you seem to want to strength train and since you have the room for a machine I'd suggest a power rack adjustable bench, and barbell setup over the machine you mentioned. Around $500 puts you in a starter setup. I based this on a power rack and bench from amazon and a weight set from a local retailer Dicks sporting goods regularly has their bar and plate sets on sale for $200 or less.

reasons for the rack include greater flexibility of exercises performed, lots of addons make even more exercises possible, and if you hate it the resale value of a power rack and weight plates would be higher than a bargain priced machine. I suggest the rack over a bench just simply because of its greater safety and higher number of available exercises. I did however use a bench squat stand combo from walmart for a couple years that I only paid $140 for the pair It was ok until the weights started getting heavier and heavier.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You might be looking for machines and so on, but I tend to go minimalist. I use a Wii system with Just Dance and Zumba workouts...fun! I also have my yoga equipment, which fits nicely behind the couch. I also use Classical Workout DVR'd on my tv. I've used dumbbells and such in the past. Personally, I've found machines end up clutter in the end but simple equipment works...
  • dramisea
    dramisea Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    You can try craigslist for standard (1 inch hole) re-loadable dumbbells with weight plates. If they look rusty, they can be cleaned primed and painted. Once done, they're practically good as new. There are a tone of things you can do with them and they take up very little room. Free- weights are better than machines, because you get to work your stabilizer muscles at the same time. That's why someone who is strong on machines doesn't always do so well on free-weights.

Thanks I didn't know that!
  • dramisea
    Options
    Misssynth wrote: »
    Start with some basic hand weights and maybe a bar for squats/deadlifts and build up once you find what you feel you're missing. You could spend hundreds on big pieces of equipment and find they don't work well for you. One piece of cardio (either a treadmill or elliptical preferably) will do, you can always run outside too!

I will say though, I suffer from anxiety too, and stayed away from the gym for a long time because of it. I eventually started going with a friend who worked out with me until I got more comfortable and now I'm happy to go alone, as long as its at times when it's quiet. Build your confidence with the equipment you buy at home but don't rule the gym out completely, they're very useful places to utilise if you manage to work up to going there.

Thanks. I used to go to the gym all the time and I loved it (with a friend) when I was in shape. But stopped going and got really overweight so I've been mortified to be in the gym alone. I moved away from the people I'd be comfortable in the gym with so it's harder but I really want to get back into it!
  • dramisea
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    since you seem to want to strength train and since you have the room for a machine I'd suggest a power rack adjustable bench, and barbell setup over the machine you mentioned. Around $500 puts you in a starter setup. I based this on a power rack and bench from amazon and a weight set from a local retailer Dicks sporting goods regularly has their bar and plate sets on sale for $200 or less.

reasons for the rack include greater flexibility of exercises performed, lots of addons make even more exercises possible, and if you hate it the resale value of a power rack and weight plates would be higher than a bargain priced machine. I suggest the rack over a bench just simply because of its greater safety and higher number of available exercises. I did however use a bench squat stand combo from walmart for a couple years that I only paid $140 for the pair It was ok until the weights started getting heavier and heavier.

I'm looking into that stuff now, thank you!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    dramisea wrote: »
    What has caught my eye recently is the Marcy-MWM 988 150 lbs stack home gym. I'm just worried that it won't be enough weight for certain things, or that I'll "grow out of it" too quickly.

Thanks!

Looking at what that will do, I don't believe you (not sure about anyone else in the home) will outgrow it anytime soon.

That said, I generally dislike units like that. Firstly, chest press almost always starts waaaaay too far back for me. That, and it ultimately limits what you can do. And, depending on where you get that, it seems too high-priced for what it does. Those are simply my opinions.

As others have said, if you can find some cheap-ish equipment (rack, barbell/dumbells, some plates, and maybe a couple of bands), those should allow you do pretty much everything you'd need. In addition, dumbbells and barbells will allow you to perform more compound exercises - which will make your workouts more effective (IMO), more efficient, and you'd "never" outgrow them.

Also, as has been mentioned, you can get quite far with body weight exercises, where simply a couple of bands (to mimic pullups and occasionally add resistance to other things) and a mat would most likely suffice.
  • dramisea
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    dramisea wrote: »
    What has caught my eye recently is the Marcy-MWM 988 150 lbs stack home gym. I'm just worried that it won't be enough weight for certain things, or that I'll "grow out of it" too quickly.

Thanks!

Looking at what that will do, I don't believe you (not sure about anyone else in the home) will outgrow it anytime soon.

That said, I generally dislike units like that. Firstly, chest press almost always starts waaaaay too far back for me. That, and it ultimately limits what you can do. And, depending on where you get that, it seems too high-priced for what it does. Those are simply my opinions.

As others have said, if you can find some cheap-ish equipment (rack, barbell/dumbells, some plates, and maybe a couple of bands), those should allow you do pretty much everything you'd need. In addition, dumbbells and barbells will allow you to perform more compound exercises - which will make your workouts more effective (IMO), more efficient, and you'd "never" outgrow them.

Also, as has been mentioned, you can get quite far with body weight exercises, where simply a couple of bands (to mimic pullups and occasionally add resistance to other things) and a mat would most likely suffice.

Thank you, I definitely appreciate your opinion. I am steering away from it now and looking towards the bars and plates with a power rack!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dumbbells I can load up with up to 80lbs@, a Swiss Ball, a Yoga mat, and a doorway pull-up bar..that's plenty to get me through a workout when I don't feel like leaving the house.

Same here (ok well I might have more free weights than that) but also a doorway pull-up bar. I do mostly body weight stuff, with some mixed free weights. Can't do a lot of weight beyond body weight because of a bad/weak spine but it gets the job done just fine. I bought most of my weights up to 25 lbs separately (started with 10 dumbells, then 15's, then 20's, then 25's) when I needed them, then I bought a couple of bars and started loading those up. I also bought a machine for cardio, and beyond all that if I want in the warmer weather I can go for a walk/jog. I had a weight bench but gave it to my future son-in-law because I never used it. I researched home gyms at first too, and beyond just strength training they aren't good for much else, and you get better development (I think anyway) from free weights instead of cables because it's more of a complex movement. That's not saying I wouldn't like to have one. Dunno if I'd use it though.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Love my home gym! A power cage is a must (I have the Valor BD-2). Benches, oly bars and weights can be found on Craigslist or garage sales for way cheaper than in the store. Same with cardio equipment (treadmill, ellipticals, etc.). It may take some time to find what you want, but ultimately it will save you money in the end.
  • vperspective
    vperspective Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have social anxiety as well and do all my workouts from home. I have a cheap power rack with lat pull down and low row attachments (great for isolation work with different attachments, have cable rope, ankle cable strap, single handle), 2nd hand adjustable bench, olympic barbell with weights and standard dumbells. Also have a leg extension leg curl station but this is not really necessary. I've had a multiple purpose station once before and to be honest it was kind of limited to what I wanted to do. Very happy with the equipment I have now and don't see myself needing anything more (except maybe weight plates once I out grow them).

If you have any questions you can ask here or private message me, will be happy to help :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Kristi26 wrote: »
    I work out at home too. I have some hand weights, lots of workout videos to choose from, and a treadmill at this point. I don't see anything wrong with staying home. ;)

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    In the summer months I see SO much gym stuff for dirt cheap. Ellipticals, treadmills, weights, those pully things.

I also work out at home because I like to shower immediately after, and no way am I showering in a gym.