Yoga video suggestion

Options
Hello all

The wife and I are interested in starting a yoga program. At this point we are not inclined to go to a studio.

We are looking for a good series of videos to follow but have some fairly specific requests

We would like to find a series that starts off with the very basics. Literally for someone who has never performed one pose. It needs to start off very guided, short and easy.

Optimally, it will have a steady progression to full length, increasingly challenging, routines. We are really looking for a series of videos that build on the previous one and add more content semi slowly.

There are about eleventy billion videos on Youtube so yes, I tried to look but I figured maybe someone here would have a good recommendation for this specific request.

Thanks!

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene! Her videos are amazing, she has a yoga for beginners playlist, I haven't done any of those videos, but every other one I've done of hers is awesome. She also has a few 30 day camps that are nice because they progress well from one video to the next.

Best of luck! Yoga is great, just know to take your time, and don't feel like you have to push yourself to be able to do the most complex version of a pose.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I love Lesley Fightmaster on YouTube.
  • NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Yoga with Adriene! Her videos are amazing, she has a yoga for beginners playlist, I haven't done any of those videos, but every other one I've done of hers is awesome. She also has a few 30 day camps that are nice because they progress well from one video to the next.

Best of luck! Yoga is great, just know to take your time, and don't feel like you have to push yourself to be able to do the most complex version of a pose.

This! I love Adrienne. She inspired me to join a yoga studio and it's one of the best things I've ever done for myself.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne is a good place to start, though I find her a little boring if I want a more challenging practice or need a deeper stretch. I found in a thrift store several Power Yoga with Adrienne Reed (different Adrienne) dvds that I LOVE. Each one focuses on a different thing (flexibility, fat burning, core, strength) and each has 20, 40, and 60 minute practices.

I also love my Bob Harper Yoga for the Warrior Dvd, though I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner as it is very intense.

All that being said, I know you aren't interested in a studio, but a few classes really can make a huge difference. A good teacher will help you figure out good alignment (vital to good practice), and can teach you lots of alternatives to get the same results if you're body isn't ready for a tougher pose. They'll also know when to tell you if a pose is inappropriate for you if you have a medical condition or suffer with an old injury.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Tim Senesi is also very good. Just look for workouts that state "beginner" in the title or description. Prevention also has some...