Want to eat more veggies but don't have the time, patience or energy...

Options
I don't think I could go full vegan. I don't think I could go full vegetarian, but I am tired of eating meat. Once in a while is fine. My problem is the rest of my family don't have the same point of view. How do you manage cooking and time... My busy life style not to mention shift work leaves me feeling tired and worn out... Meal prep is a complete chore. I HATE making dinner let alone making everyone different meals... Not to mention my sweet tooth! I have always had a terrible sweet tooth... I would like tips and hints on how to go more vegetarian and keep the meals extremely easy and interesting. Is this even possible?

Replies

• eque_price
    eque_price Posts: 32 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I must add... I love, and my pocket book also loves grains like pasta and bread.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I love mixed vegetables, frozen or fresh, with spaghetti sauce. Top with parmesan for vegetarian or nutritional yeast for vegan. Easy and quick to prepare.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    V8
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Over half of my diet consists of low carb vegetables. I cut them up in advance, and use the steamer all the time all the time. If you don't like prepping anything, there are plenty of frozen and packaged options. Other easy and quick methods are boiling or microwaving, especially for starchier vegetables like potatoes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Do you want to eat more vegetables, as the title of the thread says, or go more vegetarian? Those are different things. I am not vegetarian (although I am moving toward having more vegetarian meals again) but even when I have meat I consider having a lot of vegetables an essential part of any meal. So I'd say do this, eat a larger portions of the vegetables and a smaller portion of the meat. Also explore meatless alternatives, such as legume-based meals and stir fries with tofu and vegetable omelets and the like and start adding them into your rotation. As you find more and your family enjoys them, have them more often. The switch doesn't have to be immediate.

As for the cooking thing, vegetables are really easy and fast to cook. Roasting and sauteeing are my go-to methods, and add in other ingredients to a sautee like mushrooms too.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I recently found steamer bags of rissoto and veggies and quinoa and veggies in the store. Try heating those up and serving them by themselves or mixing in some beans or veggie sausage for extra protein. Have a simple salad on the side.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Frozen vegetables save me so much time. I buy "Steamers" by the cartload. 5 minutes in the microwave and ready to eat. And they aren't that expensive.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^^ This

Steamers are a lifesaver for me. I eat them most days of the week a's the main bulk of my meal, usually alongside a slice of two of pizza (as I did this evening), or frozen Morningstar Farms black bean burgers.
    Rice is great, too, because it's cheap and you can make a ton of it in 30 minutes or so. Sear some chicken..you're good to go!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have a freezer full of bags of frozen veggies. Plus some baby carrots in the fridge. And cans of beans in the pantry. Any fresh veggies I buy, I clean and prep them as soon as I get home. Sure they might go bad sooner, but there's a better chance I'll eat them if they're ready to go. And veggies cook quick. Honestly I'm far more likely to get takeout because I don't have time to cook the chicken, or I forgot to take the fish out to thaw!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    eque_price wrote: »
    Not to mention my sweet tooth! I have always had a terrible sweet tooth...

carrots are unbelievably sweet. so are bell peppers, the red ones especially.

both raw. although when i'm in the mood i like to grate a bushel of them into a bowl and mix in a whole can of pineapple chunks with the juice.

eta: snow/snap peas with the edible pods. zomg how could i forget.

• courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Most meats are easily complemented by vegetables. Frozen does reduce waste. But don't bother buying any you don't like just because it's healthy. Stick to what you enjoy. Also, most vegetrian and vegan meals can have meat added to them. I do a lot of meatless recipes. Those who want ground beef, chicken, or sausage generally add theirs to their own meal. We usually keep those precooked and on hand in the fridge.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep veggie steamers here too. I stock up when they're $1 a bag or under. It's really easier and cheaper than fresh most of the time.

And I absolutely love soup. I bought big bags of frozen cauliflower, carrot, broccoli, and onion and dumped it all in 8 cups of broth, let them steam/simmer until soft, then blended. I've been eating it for almost a week now. So good, filling, and low cal.

I second roasted veggies too but typically it's the cost that stops me (and it still takes 25-30 minutes).