should i eat before or after exercise???

The title says it all usually i go for a walk first thing in the morning and sometimes i eat before if im starving sometimes i dont. Today im gonna have to exercise around lunchtime my question is which is better eating before or after?

Replies

• Everyone is different. See what works best for you. If I run early before work I do not eat and I find it more of a struggle than if I run after work when I have eaten through out the day.
  • NCisME
    NCisME Posts: 41 Member
    I eat after. If I eat before, I'll get sick while working out.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    I have a light snack about an hour before working out (normally beef jerky -- protein boost), so that I have fuel for my workout. Then I eat my dinner AFTER the workout. I've found that if I eat a meal before working out, I get severe upset stomach. But that's just me.

Try it both ways eating before and after, and see which your body likes better.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    i usually ensure i get a snack in before so i'm not focused on the growling tummy, but not a full meal, that makes me feel full and just plain icky...
    and working out makes me not really want to eat after either and when i finally do its not near as much.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    If it's just a walk, you can do that on an empty stomach OK. If it's something that really is going to tax your body like strength training, I've found I get dizzy if I do that on an empty stomach. But as has been said, everyone is different and you might have to experiment a little to see what works.

Eat some good quality carbs and protein afterwards (eggs, or peanut butter on wholewheat toast)

I'm heading to teh gym in an hour, so I'll eat a Nakd nut bar now for energy, and have tuna and pasta when I get home.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    I do a brisk 30 minute walk every morning without eating but I'd never do a proper work out on a totally empty stomach.

I'd try for a banana and yoghurt an hour before exercise?
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    I would say something small with complex carbs (piece of fruit). It will give you a quick energy boost to get through your workout. But it really just depends on what your body needs. Everyone is different!
  • Usually, if I want to eat something before working out, I do it within 2-3 hours before heading to the gym. However, if I go to gym on an empty stomach, I would grab a protein bar and have it before walking inside the gym.
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    It depends mostly on what type of exercise you are planning on doing. If its walking, than eating before should be ok, but something light like a banana or fruits or vegs. If you are doing a heavy workout, wait at least an hour before you workout, otherwise your body will be expending its energy digesting instead of helping you burn fat. Same goes for strength training, but if you have been eating first, try it and see. sometimes all we can do is experiment. But I'd advise light foods before a high intensity workout.
    Personally, I try to workout on an empty stomach, it just works for me. but might not work for you!.
    Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I do lunchtime walking a lot, and I find eating before works best for me, as I'm usually ravenous by then, and walking doesn't jiggle food in your stomach that much! It also helps keep me alert at my desk for the rest of the afternoon.
  • If it's in the morning, do both. You've already starved yourself for ~8 hrs and your body is feeding off the muscles. As you workout, your body will burn muscle even more. Eat something light: a fruit, snack bar, protein shake, etc. After you workout, get some protein and carbs inside you.

At any other time of the day, there's no benefit to eating before exercise, but feel free to.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Thank you all for the advice i do a fast walk/run. ill walkdast enough to make sure my heart rate is in zone and i do that for about 10 mins thgen run for 5 fast walk for 10 more then run for 5 and slow my pace and walk the rest of the way toward home usually another 5 mins. im trying to up my time though and i didnt know if it was more beneficial to eat before or after i can do either
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    I have to time it just right. If I eat too soon before a workout I feel sick, but if I work out on an empty stomach I also feel sick. If I workout in the morning I HAVE to eat something small or I will have no energy. I try to eat a hard boiled egg or a banana or something about an hour before I workout.