Bizarre Thanksgiving gatherings

Options
jvcjim
jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
Sometimes a thanksgiving gathering is a very enjoyable other times they end with a visit from the police. Mainly they are somewhere in between. Let’s try and share the bizarre.

Back when I was in college, I was dating a girl who’s father was a unrepentant alcoholic. He had lost his driving license after 4 DWI’s and continued to drive until he rack up 5 more DWI’s. Since his business was an hour from his home he had an apartment there and only went home to the wife on weekends. he had been doing this for about 5 years before I went to their house for thanksgiving.

That year all the family was assembled at the house, his siblings, parents, nieces and nephews as well as wife’s family in all about 60 people, the families all lived in the same rural town. The father said en employee would bring him home and join everyone for dinner. They showed up around 1pm as dinner was about to be served, he spoke first and said: “Joe is not just my employee, he is my lover and I want a divorce.”

I have seen riots that where more orderly, amazingly nobody was severely injured.

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    My grandma lost a fake nail in the stuffing one year followed by a used band aid the next year. She's not allowed to make stuffing anymore.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I remember terrible Thanksgivings with my family as a kid... thats about it .. arguing

When you get a trashy family together for holidays with no communication skills things tend to happen
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My weirdest Thanksgiving was the first one my husband and I hosted. No riots, no arguments. A food disaster though...here's my tale...

I had the thought to make homemade bread for our first Thanksgiving with the breadmaker I'd gotten as a wedding gift 2 years prior. As my husband's family likes garlic, I decided to make a garlic bread loaf. I also was a pretty novice cook at that point, and followed recipes exactly. Again, not a very good cook, so I didn't completely understand portions of certain foods (measuring spoons and cups were fine though). So I go about making the bread and other items for the big day. My house smelled of turkey, potatoes, and garlic. All was good in my mind. So fast forward to later that day and we start eating. Everyone was commenting that the bread was good, but very garlicky. My mother-in-law asked me how much garlic I'd put in, and I told her two cloves, just as the recipe stated, and that I had one clove left of the 3-pack. Her reaction was "Oh no. Can you show me?" So I pulled (what I thought was 1 clove) it out of the fridge, and she said "That's a head of garlic" Turns out I'd put in 32 cloves....OOPS! So my father-in-law said next time just use one head, and for several holidays after that (until my breadmaker died) I'd make my "mistake" garlic bread.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Food fights...always cure family drama.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Our Thanksgivings are always bizarre. We're not allowed to have turkey because Mom can't stand it. Therefore we either settle for standing rib roast, forage for leftovers or fast.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My dad knows how much I love those "brown and serve" rolls on Thanksgiving so he always makes it a point to get them. A few years ago, we were about to sit down and I asked where were the rolls. He looked all over the house for them swearing that he had bought them, but could not find them anywhere. A week later, he found them in his oven.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think mine were pretty normal. Up until recently we had thanksgiving with a bunch of people who hated each other but played nice, it was miserable. We had a rule that you had to make sure there was room when you passed something. The older I got the more I just ignored people's requests so I didn't get stuck holding the stuffing. Now we have it at ours and we have no table and invite 20+ people. But we all like each other so it's nice.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    My dad cries while saying grace. Every. Single. Year.

Awwww. That is so sweet!
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Dinner with my wife's family for the first time while were dating was a little awkward. New people, new place, but the food I knew would be great. I always bring a can of cranberry sauce whenever I visit a house for thanksgiving because I love it so and I don't want to eat all of someone else's cranberry sauce. So As I we sat together, all 10 of us right after prayer, I slapped my can on the table to commence to add it to my dressing. At that point, everyone noticed that there was no "sharable" cranberry sauce. Everyone looked at me and my then girlfriend at the time, wife now asked me if I would share my cranberry sauce....I politely declined and her grandmother's boyfriend had to run out and get a can of cranberry sauce. He was so pissed! But....needless to say, he never forgot cranberry sauce again and I still take a can with me wherever I go!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    novio50 wrote: »
    Dinner with my wife's family for the first time while were dating was a little awkward. New people, new place, but the food I knew would be great. I always bring a can of cranberry sauce whenever I visit a house for thanksgiving because I love it so and I don't want to eat all of someone else's cranberry sauce. So As I we sat together, all 10 of us right after prayer, I slapped my can on the table to commence to add it to my dressing. At that point, everyone noticed that there was no "sharable" cranberry sauce. Everyone looked at me and my then girlfriend at the time, wife now asked me if I would share my cranberry sauce....I politely declined and her grandmother's boyfriend had to run out and get a can of cranberry sauce. He was so pissed! But....needless to say, he never forgot cranberry sauce again and I still take a can with me wherever I go!

You wouldn't share your cranberry sauce? I'd be pissed too lol.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    My sister in laws will no doubt get into some sort of fight over something really really stupid. Last one was over a blanket, seriously a blanket. Fists will probably be thrown. I will sit back and watch unless they get too close to my grandma, the kids or myself. Then I will have to step in and stop it. Otherwise, it will make for a great story later.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I have completely normal, non eventful Thanksgivings every year. Here's to tiny families who have the same political views! <3
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    on a more recent note...we usually host thanksgiving for the family that lives within 200 miles or so of us... one of my sister's does the same for the family near her... and usually there is some drama... but mainly it involves the younger generation and starts with "hold my beer, now watch this" and frequently ends in the emergency room we bet on which party lands an injured person first.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My husband grew up without ever having turkey as Thanksgiving. His mother, refused to eat any sort of poultry. He never had chicken growing up either, except when his mother was traveling (once a year), then he and his dad would go to KFC. Now that we are married, I make a large Turkey and all the sides. His mom can eat what she likes.
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I made the only pie for dessert and used salt instead of sugar :( oops!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    My family is pretty chill. We used to go to my grandma's house but she has dementia and can't cook anymore so it just became too much to have it there. My dad dislikes his siblings so they all go off and do their own thing. My mom's parents live a few hours away and come down every year. We watch the parade and cook all day only for me and my mom to get pissed off cause the kitchen is hot and we're the only ones cooking and we don't have a dishwasher so that's a *kitten*. Eat everything within 20 minutes. Then naps. Then we watch A Christmas Story and eat some more. My BIL loves having Thanksgiving at our house because his family is Italian and loud. I do kinda miss having it at my grandma's house as it's usually fun and no arguing, but I doubt it'll ever happen again.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Will Uncle Joe be drink again? There would plenty of entertainment and things to talk about like him finally getting sober.. ;)

Cheers to all those out there that have a complete family drama free holiday, and may all the kids frolic and play in the sandbox perfectly.. The entire family can end the day holding hands and breaking out in song.