Step calories aren't correct

Options
For over a week now, I do over 10.000 steps and only earn 66 calories?

Why is this?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what did you select as your activity level? MFP already assumes you're walking around doing stuff when it sets your initial calorie goal.

In general the step adjustment lets you know if you've burned MORE than MFP has already assumed.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Do 20,000 steps one day and see how much more your given "Rainbowbow" is correct MFP assumed your 10,000 calories the fact that you exceeded that is Just a plus-- Great job!!

Why is this?

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Yes, you probably chose an active activity level. If this is the case, you should probably either turn on negative adjustments or choose sedentary and rely on your fitbit.
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Why is this?

I'm guessing you are using an iphone/apple watch to track steps and your calories earned has decreased? If so MFP has reduced the number of calories earned in the latest update to "improve accuracy".
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ​Please see this article, and search for answers to Frequently Asked Questions and other helpful articles, on the MFP Help/FAQ pages...
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2651970-updated-info-regarding-discrepancies-in-member-s-ios-calorie-adjustment

Hello,

To all of our iOS members, thank you for continuing to voice your feedback about the calorie adjustment you're receiving after our latest iOS update.

We have continued to investigate based on your reports, and have found a second error that we will be fixing in the next update of the iOS app. This fix should result in an increase in calories in your adjustment in most cases.

For those who are interested in a more detailed account of the two fixes, please continue to read. If the technical details are a snooze, you may want to skip the rest of this post. Again, thank you for providing these specific scenarios, they've been instrumental in our investigation of the issue.

First Fix:

Prior to version 7.5 of the app, we accounted for step data at five minute intervals. Once the step count was synced, we would then calculate the estimated calorie burn, factoring in the interval, number of steps, the user’s BMR, and other variables. But while the data was collected in five minute segments, the code that calculated the calorie burn based the calculation on a one minute interval, resulting in an inflated calorie burn estimation. We fixed this in 7.5 by changing the interval at which we sync step count to one minute. Now that the step-count and calorie intervals are the same, the calculated calorie burn is more accurate, but has changed noticeably in some scenarios.

As an example, in prior versions if a user walked 100 steps in five minutes, we would record those 100 steps, and then calculate the calories as if the user had walked 100 steps in ONE minute. This compression of the same number of steps into a shorter time period incorrectly indicated that the user was walking at a much swifter pace, which inflated the estimated calorie burn.

We expected that this fix would result in lower calorie awards than users were accustomed to, in cases where many steps were taken within five minutes. But your reports of excessive drops in highly active periods led to the discovery of the second issue, for which a second fix is coming (hopefully in the next release) of the iOS app.

Second Fix:

In the original version of the steps feature, when we were capturing and evaluating step data at 5 minute intervals, we processed truncated values of calories for each 5 minute period.

For instance, if a user took 170 steps and burned 2.7 calories, we sent a 2 calorie value to the server. For each five minute segment, there was a potential "loss" of a maximum of .9 calories.

When we converted to evaluating steps in one minute increments, and deployed Fix #1 above, the truncation remained in place. However, we were now truncating up to .9 calories PER MINUTE. Over the course of five minutes, this could result in a "loss" of a maximum of 4.5 calories.

We have now updated our backend step server to accommodate fractional calories from steps, and in the upcoming iOS release we will be sending fractional calories for steps for processing, rather than the truncated, integer step count sent previously. The impact of the truncation was trivial in the previous system, but absolutely was causing lower than desired calorie adjustments over periods of high activity.

Thanks again for your reports. We make every effort to test and verify our software updates in beta testing, but some issues only surface when large numbers of users with a variety of use cases get their hands (or feet) on the features. We'll have the fix to you as soon as we can.

Best,

MyFitnessPal Staff
  • smujsmith
    smujsmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    All well and good, but what has happened to MFP/IOS relationship is actually this. Today, I walked on my treadmill for one hour, and my Apple Watch "indoor walk" recorded a total calorie count of 386 calories. That was recorded in MFP and a steps calorie adjustment of 70 calories was removed as a result. Apart from my treadmill work I have also managed a further 9800 steps today, with no reflection of that in the MFP steps Calorie adjustment. Whatever MFP have been messing with, it seems that from whatever source, IOS, Walkmeter etc, once entered the MFP program ignores any further exercise or calorie burn. It's a shame, this used to be a very useful app for tracking exercise v intake, I'm now looking for a more compatible app.
  • mumma_newey
    mumma_newey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Similar question here. I have my activity level set to the very lowest and am tracking via iPhone. If I enter my three brisk walks today MFP gives me 300+ calories. If I rely on the steps tracker I get 114. Surely at very low level activity MFP doesn't assume I will hit 10,000 steps? Which record should I use?